Shooting coins after the apocalypse

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by grunkfest, Nov 15, 2012.

1. grunkfest

grunkfest New Member

Greetings,<br><br>So, the zombie apocalypse has occurred, and we are left to defend ourselves with our trusty slingshots. But steel balls are perhaps not so easy to come by once manufacture and distribution networks shut down. Rocks are less than ideal as they are not uniform, and thus fly erratically. But in virtually every house and store in the world, one will find a supply of coins, and their use as currency will be invalid in the barter-based post-apocalyptic world. They are uniform size and weight from type to type, they are (almost) edged and don't have much aerodynamic resistance when flying edge-on, and they don't rust if I have to wade through a sewer to escape the zombie hordes.<br><br>Has anyone developed an elastic-based coin shooter? I'd imagine it would have to use a system of rails like the knife shooter, and given how small coins are, perhaps one could even build a magazine for faster reloads or something interesting like that. Keeping it flying straight would depend on optimal alignment during acceleration more-so than with ball or fletched arrow or dart.<br><br>I'll take a stab at it myself at some point, but was curious if such a thing has been documented here yet.<br><br>Cheers

2. I would recommend against shooting coins with a slingshot, they do not fly straight and can on occasion even come back at you. I've hit myself in the chest because of a return shooting a quarter at my brother with a slingshot when we were young.

3. tokSick

tokSick Senior Member

Hi,<br>I think it is possible to make a weapon( rubber powered) to shoot coins or washers strait. As you said, a rail system should work but i think the coin/washer have to spin in the rail during the launching to fly strait.

4. Like with Joerg's saw blade shooter, they need to rotate. That was the problem I had trying to shoot the quarter with a normal slingshot, it acted kind of like a boomerang because it wobbled in the air and caught the wind broad side.

5. studer1972

studer1972 scooter trash

You could glue small value coins (like pennies US/Canada/UK) together to make something like the threaded rod bits. Use a weak adhesive and maybe get a shotgun/frangible effect.

6. eulengesicht

eulengesicht New Member