Shooting candles through wooden boards?

Discussion in 'The latest one!' started by JoergS, Jan 6, 2014.

1. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbz71Hkga8M[/ame]

2. onnod

onnod Im from Holland, isnt that weird?

Never knew candles could do that! Great video!

But there is one thing that i would like to ask, it looks like there allready was a hole in the board and you just made it bigger, was this the case? Or is it just the small screen i'm watching this on that makes it look like there is one. If it is the case, would you like to try again? I am sure it'll work the second time as well but it makes it a bit more fair for the board.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Slingshot Forum mobile app

3. Ghosth

Ghosth Over the hill but still swinging!

Freeze the candles first Joerg!

I suspect a really fast shooter, shooting very small, frozen birthday candles could probably penetrate a much thicker board.

4. mvd

mvd Builds with scrap

@onnod it was the wax from the previos shot.

Freezing is not really necessary but would be nice to see if it would do any difference. Wax compresses under pressure to a really solid state.

5. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

Yepp. I put in an annotation to explain this, but those don't show up on mobile players.

Also, freezing only helps on things that contain water. Potatoes + cooked pasta = yes, oreos + candles, no. Those may even become more brittle.

6. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

I can tell you that it was already very very hard to get those candles flying with 48 m/s... birthday candles would break so easily in the chamber.

7. mvd

mvd Builds with scrap

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orO3PxLPiKU[/ame]

They are shooting it from a musket.......seems pretty effective blasting trough several layers of plywood

8. onnod

onnod Im from Holland, isnt that weird?

All right, thanks for explaining!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Slingshot Forum mobile app

9. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

That was actually very thin plywood, with spacers in between, and just a short piece of candle. Here in Germany, our barn doors are certainly way more solid!

I'd love to have seen the impact of a full length candle against a true barn door made from massive oak planks. I have a feeling that it would have tumbled, hit the wood sideways and would NOT have crashed through.

10. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

I wonder what the car-shooting slingshot cannon could do with one of the giant church style candles........

Last edited: Jan 6, 2014
  11. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

Oh, the cannon would no doubts shoot a thick block of wax through a really thick board...

To this day that thing remains the most epic rubber based weapon I have made. Accurate, immensely powerful, trustworthy, even good looking.

12. beaverIII73

beaverIII73 Junior Member

I like the idea of a wax cannon ball through a barn door. Maybe when the weather is nicer. It could be a welcome to spring shot.

13. WildBill

WildBill The Silly Song Guy

Heh. My wife Toni watched this video with me, and when Joerg said his, 'Thanks and bye bye' she said, Oh, I just love Joerg! He's like a warrior gingerbread man!

-Wild Bill