Shelf Life of Theraband Gold

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by ArnoldKelly, Jul 30, 2013.

1. ArnoldKelly

ArnoldKelly Renaissance Redneck

Well I'm just a lucky, lucky man today....

I discovered not ONE, but TWO ROLLS of Theraband Gold at work today! Virtually untouched! It's too thick for us to use with patients who come to us for physical therapy. So I asked the boss if I could have the box. (I didn't tell her that I wanted it to make slingshots with...I'm not THAT stupid!) :)

But...while it LOOKS good, I was wondering if anyone knew what the "shelf life" of this stuff is? I'm sure we've had it for YEARS, because even though it's been in a controlled environment (not exposed to sunlight or extreme temp changes), the box is actually yellow with age.

Anyone know?

2. mvd

mvd Builds with scrap

Try to strech it carefully and tell us the result ;)

3. ArnoldKelly

Actually, I've already cut a few inches off and stretched it several times. It SEEMS to still be very stretchy, even though the first couple of inches (that have been exposed the longest) did show signs of cracking. I guess the best way to find out is to just try to use it. What's the worse that could happen? Lose an eye? That's ok, they don't work very well anyway. LOL! ;)

4. MaddyMax

MaddyMax New Member

+1 ;)

yep, if anything would be wrong with it, you'll recognise. the white "dust" on the band is talcum powder to protect it from moisture.

5. ArnoldKelly

Yeah, we use all the other sizes. So I'm use to seeing the "dust" on them. Guess I'll try to build a slingshot this weekend and see what happens. LOL!

6. mvd

mvd Builds with scrap

Use safety googles ;)

7. ArnoldKelly

Eh! Safety is highly overrated. LOL