'Shade'-my new stickshot

Discussion in 'Show off your homemades!' started by Will, Jul 23, 2013.

1. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

I have wanted to play about with the idea of a stickshot for quite some time. So, one late night I ventured to my workshop (mad science laboratory, if truth be told:D) and there among the spiders and dust, cut two pieces of 18mm ply and epoxied them together. I celebrated with a cold beer and went to bed.
    The next day was spent rasping and sanding. Finally, I was satisfied with the shape and design. I then sanded it down to 220 and applied a Ebony colored wood stain all over. When it dried, I sanded most of it back off, working a little at a time to try and produce the effect of mottled shadows and providing an 'aged, distressed' look.
    I then finished her with several coats of high gloss acrylic spray and a polishing with finish wax. I named her Shade, naturally.

Attached Files:

2. Brazilviking

Brazilviking Thread Hijacker

Damn pretty! You did quite a nice job! The shadow painting gave it a lot of personality! I dislike the stickshot concept, but this one almost makes me want to have one!

3. Pretty and great Slingshot!

Great Job!

Joe

4. Thistle

Thistle RESIGNED

Love it! I've never tried a stick shot, but SHADE looks like fun. So many cool possibilities... Excellent job on the 'distressed' look too! [​IMG]

5. flicks

flicks ...lost in the woods....

Wow, very nice one Will! You did a great job on the finish. Stained Multiplex - definitely worth a try.
    I've made a stickshot a time ago, but I was quite new to slingshots and I didn't had a clue about the necessary shooting style, so it has ended in a desaster. Now, with the knowledge of Master A, the turn and tweak method should work great.:)

6. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

Thank you all very much for the kind words!:)
    @Brazilviking
    I am sure I will dislike then concept very much too after the first time I hit myself:D
    Then I may have to seek out one of your orthopedic comrades to repair me (my left hand could use a re-build anyway):D

@flicks
    Thank you very much for the encouragement! Staining the multiplex was actually quite difficult. I had to thin my stain quite a bit and even then it disliked soaking into the inner layers. A wood dye would be a better choice if I do it again. I hope you were not injured in your stickshot mishap!

7. LW

LW New Member

Very nice one Will, the handle shape is perfect to have a firm grip and the finish is very nice.

Never tried a Stick shot or even shoot one. Definitely worth a try in the near future,
    but if I look on my "slingshot building to do list", my day should have 48 hours :D

8. studer1972

studer1972 scooter trash

Nice work, Will. How well does it shoot?

9. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

Thank you! As for shooting, I am still in the process of building the bandset and pouch. I have run out of string and am running low on TBG. Hopefully I will finish tomorrow and get some test shots in

10. onnod

onnod Im from Holland, isnt that weird?

11. Antraxx

Antraxx #7

Nice glossy finish. And i like the staining too!

12. Schultz

Schultz New Member

Very Nice Work my Friend! 1+
    Shade is really a Beautiful Stickshot :D
    Have fun at Shooting ;)

13. Barkundra

Barkundra New Member

Definitely the best stickshot I've ever seen. Nice job

14. Arturo Borquez

Arturo Borquez Administrator

wow will !!! beautiful "nasty" baby ... I would be less nervous shooting bareback LOL ! take care, doc Brazilviking is many miles away !
    Cheers
    Arturo

15. NW_frameman

NW_frameman Member

That's a nice one Will! Love the stick shot, nice work on your new beast!

16. Flipgun

Flipgun Well-Known Member

First off I have to say that is Beautifully done Sir! A very handsome set of photos also. I should very much like to see you do a board cut like that! Now, You have to flip stickshots like crazy. Turn and tweak on the pouch with the speed bump effect will certainly help. A couple of the band set ups that I have seen that may benefit you is using a light tube to connect the pouch to the band. It spreads the pouch when it stops accelerating and lets the load fly free. The other I saw on a Bill Hayes video where he was doing a single band sling rifle. He took a leather punch and put a hole partway down the band, He split the band down to the hole, attached the pouch to the band and shot very well with that set up. Paracord sux rox for this. Good luck!

17. Thistle

Thistle RESIGNED

You know... I had wondered why no one seems to ever stain their multiplex. Just shows how little I know about wood. I always thought it was because makers just liked the natural look.
    I learned SOMETHING new today! [​IMG]

18. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

Well...it was actually really hard for me to bring myself to put stain on it! I just love the pattern and natural color of good multiplex, especially when crafted with as much care and skill as many builders on here. The way the wood layers swirl and form their own sort of grain pattern...beautiful. But, in the spirit of experimentation, I made myself apply the stain. I learned a lot throughout this whole build!

19. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

Thank you very much for this advice!! It is very welcome! I have proceeded so far with no real idea as to what I was doing, and I had just built a paracord-to-pouch style. From what you say, I should be thankful that one of my tie-strings broke on the test pull (hell of a hand slap) and I walked away from it for awhile. I will look for those videos you suggested and go from there. Thank you again:)!

Oh...its funny you should mention a board cut...there may be one arriving in the very near future:D

20. tokSick

tokSick Senior Member

Great work on that stick shot Will!!
    The shape and stain of the Shade makes it looks really awesome. Luv it!!!