Self made Machete

Discussion in 'Knives, Swords, and other bladed weapons' started by Therider21, Jul 25, 2013.

1. Therider21

Therider21 Member

I saw in the net a nice Machete that i tried to copy...
    Welded 2 Sheets of hardenable stainless sheets together-
    in the middle of them is a saw blade (i know welding stainless steel and carbon steel together may cause problems but i did it annyway ;))

Was a huge work for me and i got a "sunburning" cause i welded with t-shirt :eek:

Attached Files:

2. Therider21

Therider21 Member

Here´s the result:

Attached Files:

3. Great work!

Great machete!

Joe

4. Therider21

Therider21 Member

Thx, now at the right place posted ;)

5. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

This is fine work! You should keep your eyes open for corrosion caused by dissimilar metals. But that also depends on what filler wire/welding rod that you used. Haha, yes, you will get a bad sunburn from welding with no protection, I know that very well!

6. Tysonspapa

Tysonspapa New Member

nicely done, but im pretty sure you annealed the steel while you welded it. means, you need to harden the blade again, steel gets soft at temperatures more than 200 degrees c.

7. Schultz

Schultz New Member

Looks great! But I´am affraid Tyson is right, to much Heat destroy the Microstructure of the Steel.
    In my Training we have insert broken saw blades into tubes, bend and then we Weld the Tube with 2 Points from both side. To scrape sweat pimples, and this Work really nice. But I press my Thumbs that your Machete also Work.
    As I have "loved" it if my skin was burn and the eyes are flashed...
    Or how you call this when it feels like Sand in your Eyes?

8. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

You are correct, we use the word 'flashed' also for when we get too much UV light in the eyes. Not a good feeling! Cold potato slices on the eyes helps:D

9. onnod

onnod Im from Holland, isnt that weird?

nice!! i don't remember that welding with a t-shirt gave me "sunburns" maybe because i was already tanned... :) might also be because i didn't weld very long ;) my boss took a break and i asked if i could try and weld some scrap steel :D

10. artons

artons New Member

Congrats, nice work!
    Ka-bar chopper machete i suppose, very good reproduction, it's not an easy design to make.
    Nice scales too, what kind of wood have you used?
    If you harden and make a razor sharp blade you could have a very good prodouct!

11. Brazilviking

Brazilviking Thread Hijacker

Looks good! I don't understand anything on metalworking and welding, but it's great looking!

12. Wanimator

Wanimator Banned

Very nice work... OH DANG, I gotta get working on my sword projects soon... But I only got 1 chunk of steel atm more on the way I hope. Hmmm.... I still am wondering what I should make.

13. kineticweaponry

kineticweaponry Senior Member

I love the ka-bar zomstro chopper, that machete look mean!

14. Thistle

Thistle RESIGNED

Looks pretty good, Therider! I love that little claw on the end of the handle. [​IMG]

It also looks like you did a really good job shaping the scales for it too. I'm wondering what materials you used for it?

15. Therider21

Therider21 Member

Thanks at all!
    Well i was wearing a Helmet during welding ;)
    I hardened it, i´m not sure about the number of the steel.
    The Grip is made out of nutwood.
    I Printed the machete out, punched the shape, drilled a bit saw it out and grinded a LOT as you can imagine.
    Hardening was bit complicated cause it was too big for my oven so i used an cetylen Welder.
    The Blade is WIG welded....

16. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

Sounds like you've done a great job! I believe WIG is the same process as TIG welding, which I am quite familiar with. Did you use a filler wire, if so which did you use?

17. Therider21

Therider21 Member

I used a wire,yes.
    But one for normal steel cause of the c- steel sawblade....
    Every try is an exercise for me in the workshop ;)
    My worst problem is to get the wire on the Wo dip. every time re- grinding that´s exhausting :D

18. Schultz

Schultz New Member

Thats sounds Great, have Fun with your Machete and I´am looking forward to the Next :D