Scout SlingBow mod

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by Obl1v1Aus, Jan 18, 2014.

1. Obl1v1Aus

Obl1v1Aus Meh!

Heres my last project finished before I return to work tomorrow Yay! ( Yes I'm actually excited. I know thats weird)

Ive been toying with different SlingBow designs for a while but none of them worked overly well,they would launch arrows but the direction was often not were I was aiming.
    I had a couple of spare whisker biscuits laying around but struggled to come up with a fitting design until i haphazardly put my scout down on top of them when I was changing bands the other day, sparking the "why didnt i think of this before" headset.

I used some pine boards for the structure itself, cut out the basic shape on each board and then glued together. Drilled the hole and mounted the biscuit.
    I had intended for the assembly to bolt on from the back, but the biscuit i have is only just thinner than the inside of the forks making mounting a problem, reversed the assembly and it works. But now the only way to attach the bands is between the assembly and frame.
    As I play around with the design I'd like to make it so you can still use flip clips or wrap and tuck to attach bands, at the moment its looped tubes around the chicago bolt ( not easy to do, impossible to do quickly)

Its just a prototype at the moment, and very ugly. But it works quite well.

It would be cool if simple-shot made something like this for the scout, i'd buy it in a heartbeat.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. beaverIII73

beaverIII73 Junior Member

Great job on the sling bow. I really like the craftsmanship on the insert you made. Looks like it fits the scout perfect.

3. Obl1v1Aus

Obl1v1Aus Meh!

Thanks beaver, it does fit well, it could fit better though. I had some issues with the stenciling as i was tracing the scout directly onto the wood.

If I do it again I'd make it out of HDPE, and find a better way to attach the whisker biscuit.
    It would probably be easier to make a dedicated sling bow but so far all of my efforts are sub par.
    This is solid enough for what I'm using it for, but there is always room for improvement

4. onnod

onnod Im from Holland, isnt that weird?

That's really cool! Great work dude!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Slingshot Forum mobile app

5. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

This seems to work!

I just think that the Scout isn't an ideal frame for slingbows. The Scout is designed for the finger+thumb support style, a much weaker grip than the hammer grip style that is common for bows. As soon as you go up in band dimensions, the wrist strain will be very high.

Powerful slingbows must either be hammer grip frames with low forks, or have braces.

For lightweight arrows and some target shooting fun, there is nothing wrong with this setup though.

6. Obl1v1Aus

Obl1v1Aus Meh!

Your right Joerg, there is a high strain on the wrist if you use this as a hammer grip slingbow because the forks sit 5cm above the hand.
    I found it better to use the scout like this using a pinch grip rather than finger+thumb support (which is how I shoot it as a normal slingshot), there is a lot less stress on my wrist this was
    I modified my scout when I first got it to better fit my hand for this grip as well.
    After shooting it for a bit today I found it a good idea to wear an archery hand guard (for shooting off the knuckle with tradtional bows) as sometimes the pouch slaps the top of my hand.

Thanks for your input Joerg

7. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

Don't really understand what you mean by "pinch grip". Can you upload a pic?

8. Obl1v1Aus

Obl1v1Aus Meh!

Not my pic (found them on simple shots page) but this is what i mean by pinch grip
    [​IMG]
    And this is what I normally identify as thumb+finger support
    [​IMG]

Hope that helps

9. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

Ah, OK. I'd call both a support style grip, but maybe that is only because I use neither.

If you'd hold a Rambone in comparison, I think you would very quickly feel the advantage. Even a thick round rod would be more ergonomic.

The human hand has been adapted to wooden clubs by evolution over the course of millions of years. Slingshots came along just a few generations ago, and few people can say that their chances to multiply depended on their slingshot shooting abilities... so it makes sense.

10. JohnKrakatoa

JohnKrakatoa Loudest boom on Earth

I hold my scout like a hammer.

11. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

Oh wow, then the fork is really high. I think the Scout is probably the best support style shooter on the market, but certainly not ideal for hammer grip shooting.

12. SimpleShot

SimpleShot Everything Slingshots!

Great work O!!

We are working on prototypes of a very similar nature for the Scout. The final product will allow the Scout to be converted to an arrow shooter and provide a wrist brace- or not, and will allow the shooter to choose between hammer grip or pinch/support grip.

We have found that when shooting arrows the pinch support provides a really nice purchase on the slingshot and places the fingers in very intuitive position for instinctive aiming, very much like a recurve or longbow. We have not tested bands beyond 35# draw weight, but have found the pinch support plenty strong and comfortable- especially with the mods to the grip you show.

Jorg is quite correct, the Scout is less than ideal for extremely heavy bands in the hammer grip hold but is very comfortable for the average band weight and average slingshot enthusiast. With our new wrist brace option(coming soon for those where legal) the Scout will be capable of shooting the heaviest of bands in any hand grip orientation.

13. Obl1v1Aus

Obl1v1Aus Meh!

Agreed, my preferred shooting style is hammer grip but the scout feels way more comfortable in a pinch grip (for me anyway)
    When my rambone arrives I'll be sure to do plenty of comparisons!

Thanks Nathan!
    That's awesome news, I cant wait to see the final product!

14. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

Will the wrist brace only be avaliable with the slingbow conversion or as a seperate piece? Im not usually a fan of braces but its fun to try new things :)

I bought a Rambone the second day the store opened and just picked up a Scout last week. Both great slingshots but chalk and cheese is a perfect description!

Your slingbow conversion does look very well done though Obl1v1Aus, nice work. Would cutting the washers down and using flatbands TTF work do you think?

Last edited: Jan 19, 2014
  15. JohnKrakatoa

JohnKrakatoa Loudest boom on Earth

I like high forks.
    Looking forward to the brace for scout. My understanding is that it could be added to an already existing scout? Or would it just be a new braced scout version?
    Yep very nice DIY whisker attachment.

EDIT: Obliviaus, and others, do you have experience with arrow shooting from a slingshot without whiskers too? Or you just went directly for whisker? If you shot arrow plain without any mod, how would you compare it to a whisker ss ? I am asking because I saw the backyardbowyer on YT who makes bows n stuff out of PVC shootin arrows with his pvc slinshot with ease. Just like you do on a longbow or other naturals.

EDIT2: I just thought about the whisker extenstion you said you are preparing Nathan. Will the whisker piece already incorporate the flipclips and use them as the attachment method to the scout frame and to hold the rubber, similarly like Obliviaus showed here? That would be wicked! :cool: Just single piece of plastic you simply pluged into the two holes and slided on the fork and thightened it with the rubber in. Everyone who has a Scout would buy them (well a high % would) and more people would buy them with new scouts !

Last edited: Jan 19, 2014
  16. Obl1v1Aus

Obl1v1Aus Meh!

Thanks Scoobs, If I could have had the mounting bracket on the side I wanted (closest to me) then I could easily use flatbands that were tied on. ultimatley I wanted to use the bracket in conjunction with flip clips so I could have the best of both worlds, but as I ran out of surface area to attach the biscuit to I shot myself in the foot on that one (best laid plans and all)

Thanks John, yes I have tried shooting arrows without a rest, its not ideal with the scout as there isnt a guiding groove to stop the arrow from sliding along the fork. I think one of the pocket predators has a groove for this though.
    I have a natural fork that I've used to launch a few arrows, it has very low forks a little bit wider than your typical PFS. but this method really needs feather fletched arrows as vanes make the arrows hop.
    I'v also tried a few different kinds of arrow rests, I havent tried Ruthies shaving brush rest yet but its in the pipeline. a (very) thick leather tab sitting between the forks works well, but again you really need feathers not vanes

so far the whisker biscuit has given me the best results, its the easiest to attach and theres no moving parts very hard wearing (I've had the same one on my compound for ages and its still in great shape)

17. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Cool mods there Obl1v1Aus! I've got a whisker biscuit sitting at home just waiting to be put to use for something like this. I'm looking forward to the mods that both Joerg and Nathan are working on for their slingshots. I've already got a Scout, but my Rambone (which I ordered the day before the recall) has yet to arrive, though it should be coming soon. Nice work on this one.

18. Obl1v1Aus

Obl1v1Aus Meh!

Thanks Withak, I understand the whole waiting for the rambone thing I ordered mine on the 25th of November. Must be coming by Sea as that can take up to 90 days so I'm told

EDIT: Scratch that siezed by customs! Damn.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2014
  19. Tremoside

Tremoside SINdustrial designer

Exciting modding! I'm sure you have fun with this extension :)
    Thanks for sharing!

20. FIAAO

FIAAO Failureisalwaysanoption

Really cool mod! Now I have to buy a scout :rolleyes: