The Slingshot Forums banner

scaring deer

834 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Halharbi 
#1 ·
We are having a deer problem in and around our garden for the first time in 40 years at the same spot (mid coast Maine). I guess we enjoyed seeing them so much in late winter and early spring that we neglected to chase them off and now they have no fear. We had never seen more than 2 or 3 at a time before and then only occasionally but this spring there were as many as 10 or 12 and they were around every few days. Now it seems that 2 or 3 of them have decided to come around several times a day. First I tried shooting them with a Daisy BB gun, aiming abut 8' over their heads to allow for drop and of course they did not even feel it. I tried firecrackers and a 22 rifle to scare them but it was not too effective. Next i started looking for rubber bullets but the local gun shop suggested a slingshot, My question is, will I be able to hit one center mass from about 100+ feet away, with some practice, of course. I assume if I could hit them, it would hurt enough to discourage them from coming around. Appreciate any advice. Larry

#2 ·
You might try what has worked for me. I put the dark colored plastic bird netting around my garden from the ground to about 6 feet up. They could crash in at anytime but they don't.. I have been told that what happens is the deer don't see it and when their nose hits it they have no idea what is going on and back away. Sounds crazy but at least fo me it works

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.