Scales AKA "the been so long pinchgrip with palm swell natty"

Discussion in 'Show off your homemades!' started by nottoyslingshots, Jun 21, 2015.

1. nottoyslingshots

nottoyslingshots Natural Slingshots Enthusiast

I'm back with a new slingshot after one and a half months of slingshot building burnout.

Made from an unknown fruit tree fork with marbled FIMO clay palmswell, I almost swore to God that I will never work with FIMO clay, but I got the hangs of it.

So, sanded from 80 to 1200, ok jump on me because I said that I don't see a reason for sanding past 400, or 600 grit in some cases. But I sanded the FIMO palm swell and I went with the 1200 grit sandpaper all over the frame.

Finished with 2 coats of Danish oil and polished with 2 coats of my new homemade beeswax and carnauba wax wood polish.

I named it "Scales" because the way the grain catches the light is really interesting, making it look kind of holographic, just like it would have tiny reptile scales.

What do you think guys?

P1040187.jpg

P1040158.jpg

P1040160.jpg

P1040194.jpg

P1040198.jpg

P1040188.jpg

P1040190.jpg

P1040201.jpg

P1040207.jpg

2. kindlebear

kindlebear Slinger of Shots

Great forking piece of wood...I like the fimo/wood contrast. And it looks really comfi

3. onnod

onnod Im from Holland, isnt that weird?

Beautiful work! :D

4. Crackerbrown

Crackerbrown New Member

That's beautiful! The grain, the clay, the shape, everything.

5. bigdh2000

bigdh2000 Administrator

Beautiful work. How did you get the FIMO to stay attached?

6. TheNewSlingshotGuy

TheNewSlingshotGuy AKA- "The Raccoon"

How you get such symmetry and even-ness is beyond me. The shape is so original, as it always is. Beautiful work brother!

7. TheDaddy187

TheDaddy187 Administrator

8. nottoyslingshots

Thanks my friend, it is very comfy!

Thanks man!

Thank you for your words!

Many thanks Dan! I used 2part epoxy and both surfaces had a few 1mm deep holes drilled inside them to help the epoxy hold better.

Thank you so much my friend, the symmetry is obtained by repeated sequences of measuring/checking, I also give myself only a 1mm tolerance while rough shaping, and that is corrected in the final sanding process.

Many thanks guys!

9. Crackerbrown

Crackerbrown New Member

^^^^^ Great tips Sir, thanks for sharing!

10. uberfreak9

uberfreak9 Lord Of Crows

For the amount of work and skill put into your builds I'd say you are charging too little for them on your Etsy page... I'm guessing that some people don't get into slingshots because it is traditionally thought of as the weapon of a destructive freckled 12-year-old... or peasants with their primitive weapons... they can go choke on their caviar! :D

11. nottoyslingshots

Well, no one knows better than me how underpriced are my works, but you sir got the idea, and thanks for that. ;)

But, at the same time, some people that make a living out of building slingshots and charge way more for their slingshots than I do also pay taxes, have employees, have a reputation, you get the idea.

The time will come for me, I have to work on the NOTATOY image, but for that I have to come forward with something original.

Anyway, I will never go by "F*ck you, pay me 250$" for a slingshot!

12. uberfreak9

uberfreak9 Lord Of Crows

[​IMG]

13. Jeb

Jeb Baba Hunter

Beautiful work. Love the colour combo.

14. tokSick

tokSick Senior Member

Very, very nice slingshot!

15. zippro

zippro Junior Member

wow i always love the shapes you make great work :)

16. nottoyslingshots

Thank you very much guys! :)

17. kohlqez

kohlqez Accident-Prone

That Palm swell is pretty awesome, the first thing I thought of when I saw it was the sculpey clay my little brother and I used to play with which is basically what FIMO is.
    It looks like you stopped kneading the colors together at the perfect moment if you'd done much more mixing it would've turned brown, something my brother and I did a lot

18. Drew_Bilbrey

Drew_Bilbrey Drew Bilbrey

Me thinks I likes it! :D Great work Florin!

19. Bone

Bone Slingshot Shooters

That's a bueatiful slingshot. I really like the shape. High quality for sure. Good job!