The Slingshot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Natural Slingshots Enthusiast
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm back with a new slingshot after one and a half months of slingshot building burnout.

Made from an unknown fruit tree fork with marbled FIMO clay palmswell, I almost swore to God that I will never work with FIMO clay, but I got the hangs of it.

So, sanded from 80 to 1200, ok jump on me because I said that I don't see a reason for sanding past 400, or 600 grit in some cases. But I sanded the FIMO palm swell and I went with the 1200 grit sandpaper all over the frame.

Finished with 2 coats of Danish oil and polished with 2 coats of my new homemade beeswax and carnauba wax wood polish.

I named it "Scales" because the way the grain catches the light is really interesting, making it look kind of holographic, just like it would have tiny reptile scales.

What do you think guys?

P1040187.jpg

P1040158.jpg

P1040160.jpg

P1040194.jpg

P1040198.jpg

P1040188.jpg

P1040190.jpg

P1040201.jpg

P1040207.jpg

Attachments

·
Slinger of Shots
2,070 Posts
Great forking piece of wood...I like the fimo/wood contrast. And it looks really comfi

·
Administrator
10,888 Posts
Beautiful work. How did you get the FIMO to stay attached?

·
Premium Member
4,761 Posts
How you get such symmetry and even-ness is beyond me. The shape is so original, as it always is. Beautiful work brother!

·
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Great forking piece of wood...I like the fimo/wood contrast. And it looks really comfi
Thanks my friend, it is very comfy!

Beautiful work! :D
Thanks man!

That's beautiful! The grain, the clay, the shape, everything.
Thank you for your words!

Beautiful work. How did you get the FIMO to stay attached?
Many thanks Dan! I used 2part epoxy and both surfaces had a few 1mm deep holes drilled inside them to help the epoxy hold better.

How you get such symmetry and even-ness is beyond me. The shape is so original, as it always is. Beautiful work brother!
Thank you so much my friend, the symmetry is obtained by repeated sequences of measuring/checking, I also give myself only a 1mm tolerance while rough shaping, and that is corrected in the final sanding process.

nice... i like it
Simply amazing.
Many thanks guys!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Thanks my friend, it is very comfy!

Thanks man!

Thank you for your words!

Many thanks Dan! I used 2part epoxy and both surfaces had a few 1mm deep holes drilled inside them to help the epoxy hold better.

Thank you so much my friend, the symmetry is obtained by repeated sequences of measuring/checking, I also give myself only a 1mm tolerance while rough shaping, and that is corrected in the final sanding process.

Many thanks guys!

^^^^^ Great tips Sir, thanks for sharing!

·
Lord Of Crows
600 Posts
For the amount of work and skill put into your builds I'd say you are charging too little for them on your Etsy page... I'm guessing that some people don't get into slingshots because it is traditionally thought of as the weapon of a destructive freckled 12-year-old... or peasants with their primitive weapons... they can go choke on their caviar! :D

·
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
For the amount of work and skill put into your builds I'd say you are charging too little for them on your Etsy page... I'm guessing that some people don't get into slingshots because it is traditionally thought of as the weapon of a destructive freckled 12-year-old... or peasants with their primitive weapons... they can go choke on their caviar! :D
Well, no one knows better than me how underpriced are my works, but you sir got the idea, and thanks for that. ;)

But, at the same time, some people that make a living out of building slingshots and charge way more for their slingshots than I do also pay taxes, have employees, have a reputation, you get the idea.

The time will come for me, I have to work on the NOTATOY image, but for that I have to come forward with something original.

Anyway, I will never go by "F*ck you, pay me 250$" for a slingshot!

·
Lord Of Crows
600 Posts
Well, no one knows better than me how underpriced are my works, but you sir got the idea, and thanks for that. ;)

But, at the same time, some people that make a living out of building slingshots and charge way more for their slingshots than I do also pay taxes, have employees, have a reputation, you get the idea.

The time will come for me, I have to work on the NOTATOY image, but for that I have to come forward with something original.

Anyway, I will never go by "F*ck you, pay me 250$" for a slingshot!

·
Accident-Prone
1,513 Posts
That Palm swell is pretty awesome, the first thing I thought of when I saw it was the sculpey clay my little brother and I used to play with which is basically what FIMO is.
It looks like you stopped kneading the colors together at the perfect moment if you'd done much more mixing it would've turned brown, something my brother and I did a lot

1 - 20 of 22 Posts