Save the planet, make slingshots

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by tokSick, Oct 12, 2013.

1. tokSick

tokSick Senior Member

Hi everybody,
    I' ve read, here and on the other forum, about HDPE and wanted to try that out. I checked the empty milk bottles and they are made out of HDPE but they are made out of 3 layers, one grey, one white and one black in between. I thought it was not good for making a slingshot so i made some experiments with colored plastic( bottle caps) but i was not happy with the resulst. I decided to give the milk bottle a try and the results are very nice. Look...
    [​IMG]

Cutted in small pieces with a scissor...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is what i get after +- 20 minutes in the oven at 175°...
    [​IMG]

The piece i made was just a test, it 1 cm thick but it is rock solid.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2013
  2. EnesK

EnesK Call me the boss

wow nice idea never tought of that before
    i need to do one like that to
    can't wait to see the result

Enes

3. CEZ

CEZ New Member

Hey, that's a funky pattern, at first I thought it didn't melt well and stayed granulated like that but it's the layers that you mentioned, cool!

Doesn't the process stink up the whole house though? Also I always thought melting plastic gives off toxic fumes..

4. tokSick

tokSick Senior Member

Hi CEZ,
    The granulated side is because i didn' t put enough weight on it to flaten it when cookin'.
    The process doesn' t smell at all as long as you keep it under 180 ° i think. Ckeck out the wiki HERE for more info.

5. Obl1v1Aus

Obl1v1Aus Meh!

even if its no good for a slingshot frame, it would make some pretty awesome looking scales for a slingshot or a knife. the top texture kind of reminds me of kirinite

6. tokSick

tokSick Senior Member

You' re right Obl1vAus, there are lots of possibilities with that stuff. I' ll probably use it for a knive project soon.
    I just checked out for kirinite, it is awesome and inspiring. Thanks mate.

7. Obl1v1Aus

Obl1v1Aus Meh!

Your welcome tokSick, I'd never heard of kirinite until Antraxx posted his Aluminum Targetshooter which you'll find HERE

It certainly has me thinking of a project I can use it on

8. tokSick

tokSick Senior Member

I saw those targetshooters... Awesome!!! But i think it is not because of the kirinite but because of Antraxx' s talent. ;)
    If you make your project, don' t forget to post it so i' ll have some more inspiration and ideas. :D

9. Obl1v1Aus

Obl1v1Aus Meh!

I'm not going to argue that at all, Antraxx did an awesome job.

And I'll definitley post it if I get my hands on some kirinite, right now I have three other projects I need to finish. Hopefully you will seeing at least one of them tommorrow!

10. Flipgun

Flipgun Well-Known Member

11. artons

artons New Member

That's a cool idea!
    I'll surely try it :D

12. AngelicScars

AngelicScars MILF of the board

Good idea, I like the way you think!

13. tokSick

tokSick Senior Member

Thanks for the link Flip. I am melting some more right now so i' ll check that thead at the same time.

14. zwillie

zwillie New Member

Hi Toksick,
    on my work I often have buy PE and in Germany it is cheap.
    1m x 2m x 10mm about 50€.
    I often had some smaller pieces 0,5 x 0,5 m and we throw it in the garbage can.
    But i just have the PE in black colour.
    Zwillie

15. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

I am really interested in how this turns out. I've seen some other folks that have made slingshots using this method. I'd like to try it myself some day. One question (which I probably know the answer to, but I need to ask to be certain) - is that temperature in Celsius or Fahrenheit? I like your oven method over some of the others I've seen.

16. tokSick

tokSick Senior Member

Hello Zwillie,
    I know that it is cheap but still too expensive for me :eek:
    The thing is that it is very satisfying when i know those milk bottles are going to turn into slingshots :D Plus, there is lots of colors choices like soda bottle tops, milk jigs, shampoo, etc...
    Making mistakes is not a big deal as i can re- melt it.
    Making a slingshot out of a slingshot is a cool idea too:)
    I know i can buy it for 5 euro at Simpleshot but only the cost for sending will be more.

Thankz ( with a z) Withak,
    The temp is in celsius, my friend.
    I just saw some of the slingshots made out of that stuff on the SSF. Those guys are awesome, what they make out of plastic bottles is so WOW!

Thanks,
    Hope my darling will change the way she look at me when i come close to the oven. She never says something but i see it in her eyes, the eye of the tiger you know.

Just try it my friend. If the resusts are not what you expected, you just have to..... recycle!!

17. tokSick

tokSick Senior Member

I am baking slinshots!!
    [​IMG]

This is what came out of the oven...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12 mm thick is not much but this was just a test. It will support one band per side for sure, maybe two. Now i have to find a way to compress it when baking to have a nicer block.

18. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Sweet! I love it! That turned out amazing for a "test". Okay, promise if we end up as partners in the Christmas trade you'll consider making me one of these recycled beauties ;)

19. tokSick

tokSick Senior Member

Sure mate!! For you i' ll put my patience to the test and save more bottles to get a better result. ;)

20. BrPio

BrPio .

Awesome idea! I have don similar with other materials but I never figured on using plastics from bottles. And one thought I had if adding strength was an issue, is placing a layer or more of chicken wire or any metal screen in between the plastic before baking (Slingshot lasagna). I'v used that method on terra cotta clay and it added an extreme amount of strength. peace.