Sanding Tip

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by EyAlter, Sep 22, 2013.

1. EyAlter

EyAlter New Member

Get the small rough wood sanding bit for the Dremel. It is just awesome!

When I did my knife it was so easy to get it smooth after I worked it with the rasp. 5-10min of sanding with the Dremel and all scratch marks are gone. After that I worked it up from 180 to 1000grit sand paper and you can polish a whole slingshot in 2-3 hours.

[​IMG]

2. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

I'm working on a slingshot project right now where I'm making use of my Dremel tool for the first time. It's a great tool for this kind of work. I have a feeling I'll be using it quite a bit in the future.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2013

3. Brazilviking

Brazilviking Thread Hijacker

I've aways used it in most of my slingshots. Just be carefull with pressure, otherwise it may mark too much the wood!

4. Jeremy

Jeremy Senior member who totally rocks a pink Scout! Pink

I have a Dremel, the sanding bit AND I just found a natural fork on a maple tree in my yard. Now I just need to cut the branch, pick up some sandpaper and a fed rasps. I probably should come up with a design idea too.

5. dolomite

dolomite Banned

I'm spoiled, spindle sander is my best friend in the shop. Being able to hold the fork with both hands makes shaping very easy.

6. onnod

onnod Im from Holland, isnt that weird?

i used these a lot before my dremel broke, sadly it won't load the battery anymore :(

7. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

That would be nice. I've heard some folks have used a drill press to stand in for a spindle sander. I know it won't oscillate up/down like a nice spindle sander, but maybe it's worth a shot. What are your thoughts on that idea?

8. bigjim

bigjim New Member

Few weeks ago , I was told that dremel burns the wood because of the rpm .
    Looks as he was wrong .
    I bought me a black n decker power file .
    What works very very well .
    Found 40 , 80 and 120 grit .
    The more smaller grit I do with sandpaper because
    It is a kind of work I really enjoy .
    :):):)

9. dolomite

dolomite Banned

E, the drill press seems good if you have one already and can get enough rpm out of it. My spindle sander also has an oscillating belt setup you can switch to in seconds. Rigid brand,home depot, 2 benjamins. Only rigid tool I'd recomend but so far its good. The "lifetime warranty" is fraud though, theres always a reason it doesn't apply to you and when you ask to be put through to a supervisor they park you on hold till you just hang up. I called back and left a message that the dewalt folks will get all my shop money from here. Dewalts warranty is shorter but no questions means no questions with them.

10. Tysonspapa

Tysonspapa New Member

if you want to remove wood fast, try an angle grinder with a rubber disc for replaceable grinding discs, its fast as hell you have to be carefull to not grind away to much, you can grind your knives etc too. get a 36 or 60 grid for working, 100 for getting rid of scratches. just dont buy the cheap, soft paper discs, they dont withstand the rpm´s. still wonder why they are allowed to sell, they kinda explode if you try to use them...

11. Tremoside

Tremoside SINdustrial designer

Confirm that. I use a rubber disk with my Bosch. Fast replacement and the result is more gradient. Need some time to master it but worth the effort. For beginning using a vice for holding your workpiece is recommended (may cut the sling a bit longer to grab with the vice or use alu or thick rug to hold). But later simply just hold in hand. I don't like to use the cover if using rubber disc. Sometimes it's disturbing (not forget to mention it's not a good idea if you're working with metals :D I burned off my shirt from my back a decade ago :D and ended up rolling on the floor of burning. Was dumb.).

I like to work with power tools but when I making a test / development frame I avoid them. Simple hand tools give something special: full contact and more thoughts during shaping. It's important to keep the interaction/conversation with the work. Dremel is a great "inbetweener" (excuse me for the term, its from cell animation) a transition. I use drum brushes with Dremel too, especially on metals. It's not really for sanding but helps to brush up the surface in a specified direction and after that main file / tool marks are visible to eliminate. For this I mainly use brass on alu.

12. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

I'm working on my first 'board cut' slingshot using a dremel for shaping. So far, no burns, even when I've dug in a bit with it. My tool has variable RPM's though, and I've been keeping them in the low to mid range.

Any idea what kind of RPM's your Rigid sander is putting out? I do already have a drill press, but I'd have to look and see what my highest RPM setting would be. I suppose I could turn my router over on a table and put a bit in there - I'm guessing RPM wouldn't be a problem there :) Unfortunately, I'm about out of my 'spare' benjamins for now. Maybe come Christmas time...:rolleyes:

13. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Omnod, if you find yourself in the market for a replacement for your Dremel and you don't need a battery operated model, allow me to recommend a Black and Decker RTX-B 3. It's about half the price of a Dremel, and works just as well. In fact, I prefer using my B&D over my Dremel (I have both). The B&D is quieter too, which is nice if I'm working early in the morning before Mrs. Etrain gets up. I'm assuming B&D is available where you live? The tool has the same mandrel connection, so you can use all of the same Dremel bits. Good value.

14. onnod

onnod Im from Holland, isnt that weird?

thanks! B&D tools are available here but can't find it on any dutch site. I did find a dremel that just plugs in for 35 euros. i think i'm going to work on with my drill with a sanding bit in it tho, i've spend a lot of money on beer and festivals and such in the last few weeks so i'm a little poor now ;)

15. EyAlter

EyAlter New Member

I have the dremel with the goose neck adapter. Then you can hang it up in your garage and only hold the little "pen" in your hands. Makes it much easiers.

The lowest RPM setting does not give burn marks.

16. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Good suggestion, EyAlter, I need to get one of those adapters one of these days. Yet another reason to spend money I don't have ;)

17. bigjim

bigjim New Member

Bought me a dremel-like tool .
    Called duro .
    Got it in an aldi store somwhere north east germany .
    Paid 25 € .
    Try it out at the weekend .
    Tell you later how or if it works .
    :cool:

18. G_Y

G_Y aiming the less

My duro is six years old, rarely used. Power and speed adjustment are ok, but the cutting disks are weak.

19. BeMahoney

BeMahoney Builder of things