Salvaged Mesquite showcase

Discussion in 'Show off your homemades!' started by dinobuddy, Jan 2, 2014.

1. dinobuddy

dinobuddy Senior Member

My neighbors cut down an otherwise healthy mesquite tree about two months ago, and I salvaged enough of it to make a stockpile of forks that will last me a good long while (still twenty or so left doing in the garage).

I didn't have any experience with tools before these, and started off with a tree limb saw, a basic rasp/file set, and some sandpaper. I'd been practicing with a Scout recently, and now that I've developed my aim a bit, I can get these to do exactly what I need as well.

First one: made it for my 4-year old daughter. Daddy reclaimed it after she lost interest, but for her I strung a pair of rubber bands through holes in the forks (not visible here). She'll shoot little arts and crafts pompoms or foam earplugs cut in half. Polyurethane varnish.

Second: made it for my 5-year old son. The grooves are for for his fingers. Had tapered tubes on at first, but I'm going to go with thin-cut TBG on them soon. No finish.

Third: an exercise in excess based on the unique shape of the fork. The current bands are ridiculous (about 6.5cm wide, 45cm long), but it's a nice shooter with more modest bands attached.

Fourth: a simple one I did quickly, sanded smooth, but without taking off all the bark. I decided I liked that effect quite a bit, and it's an elegant and simple little feller I call the "Zipper". Relatively long and thin bands, which are feather-light to pull and "zip" a marble to its target with considerable force.

Fifth: a giant knot just below the fork gave me a great opportunity to fashion an über-ergonomic grip, which is tailor-fit to my hand.

Sixth: a Zipper sequel, only almost perfectly symmetrical in natural dimensions and in my shaping of the forks. Just banged this out in half an hour or so. Very excited to band it up this weekend.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Slingshot Forum mobile app

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 2, 2014