Salvaged from my scrap pile!

Discussion in 'Show off your homemades!' started by VWscooby, Oct 15, 2013.

1. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

I was sorting through a few forks that were drying and one that was already rotten when I collected it was crumbling into powder so I put it to one side to throw away.
    Im not sure why but I started absent-mindedly whittling it chatting away to my other half. When I was done I actually had quite a nice frame!
    2 coats of raw linseed oil brought out the grain then I decided to try a CA finish for the first time. The pics don't really do it justice but really happy with how it turned out, mirror smooth! :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks

James

2. Achso_42

Achso_42 Senior Member

3. Otees

Otees Another Member

4. xXdoomXx

xXdoomXx Junior threadjacker ag. J

Looks fantastic

J

5. artons

artons New Member

wow! a desert beauty! :D

6. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

That's beautiful. A really nice piece of wood. I love the patterns and the shape. How do you like that CA finish? I just finished one with CA for the first time myself. Once I got past the idea that I was somehow going to glue myself to the wood, it actually turned out really nice.

7. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

Yeah, I wish I had taken a picture of the original fork. Would never have believed this was inside!

The CA finish? I really like it! Just took my time after watching a couple of youtube tutorials. It feels a lot nicer than I thought it would once its polished too.

Must admit I did glue myself to the superglue tube though....:eek:

8. BeMahoney

BeMahoney Builder of things

Pardon me, what is a "CA finish?"- I know thousand islands dressing!..?

I will try to find sth. about it now, but dared to just ask the swarm.

Thanks to everyone,

Be

9. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

CA is CyanoAcrylate. Its just the chemical name for common Superglue. Amazing the results you can get from something when you use it for something other than what it was intended for!

I had finished the fork to 1200 grit already then I just spread on about 5 very thin coats then wet-sanded with 400, 600, 800, 1200 grit paper. I polished it with AutoGlym Car paint restorer then finished it with a coat of beeswax.

Hope that helps :)

Last edited: Oct 15, 2013
  10. FIAAO

FIAAO Failureisalwaysanoption

Sweet! :) Nice work!!

11. tokSick

tokSick Senior Member

Very nice slingshot and finish. I' ll come back to CA when my yacht varnish can is empty. That varnish takes ages to dry.
    CA rules!!!