Salvaged: Cold Steel Hide Out

Discussion in 'Knives, Swords, and other bladed weapons' started by JoergS, Oct 3, 2013.

1. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

Cold Steel was generous enough to provide several Hide Out Knives as ammo... I already made a nice M16 attachment launcher.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9LmzAeQqNM[/ame]

As those little blades were never intended to be thrown, let alone shot, it is not surprising that one of them broke at impact...

It was simply a shame to throw it away. So I made a new handle, from my stash of now-bone-dry European Dogwood (Cornus Sanguinea). I wanted a compact handle for a two-finger-grip, so I needed to use the hardest wood there is. Hence the dogwood.

It came out really really nice. In fact I like it more than the Cold Steel original. But that is normal, things you make with your own hands always have that feeling.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Jeremy

Jeremy Senior member who totally rocks a pink Scout! Pink

I absolutely love the knife shooter as well as the home-made handle. Yet another top quality invention and work;.

3. onnod

onnod Im from Holland, isnt that weird?

4. Wanimator

Wanimator Banned

I don't think I can like the Gurkha Kukri kraton handle anymore than I already do. :) , But back to the subject, that wood handle really looks better for larger hands, the old handle was designed to basically not ruin your clothing, therefore comprimising comfort for concealibility and clothes without deformations..

Last edited: Oct 4, 2013
  5. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

I think I like your new handle better than the original. Very nice little pocket blade. Perhaps Cold Steel will now wish to produce some JS 'custom' blades :)

6. pelleteer

pelleteer Middle Aged Delinquent

I saw this the other day at the Cold Steel forums. Nice work, Joerg. Lynn Thompson and Joerg Sprave are a perfect team. Neither are afraid to design unusual stuff, and neither are afraid of their critics. I keep hoping there'll one day be a Cold Steel slingshot designed by Joerg. :cool: