salvage meterial

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by greenevegiebeast, Aug 24, 2013.

1. greenevegiebeast

greenevegiebeast New Member

Has anybody done any builds with salvage meterials ie. Pallets.

2. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

I haven't seen any slingshots made from them, but Ive seen furniture made before, with great results too. There is often some really nice hardwood to be gathered from pallets. With some care in selection, a nice shooter could likely be made from them

3. EyAlter

EyAlter New Member

You can laminate a whole bunch of anything together to make a hard board. Wood, fabric, Paper, Plastic... Experiement!

4. Flipgun

Flipgun Well-Known Member

Almost all of my materials come from salvage or right out of the trash. The only material I have bought in a year has been rubber, sand paper and finish. Most of the pallets I have seen are oak or pine. in some parts of the world they use what I would consider an exotic wood. Of the oak nice shooters can be made. On the other forum, a shooter (Wombat) has a process where you make the shooter of two pieces, where each piece is cut 20 degrees to the grain. He claims that it significantly reduces breaking on the grain. I also score good grades of plywood and have skinned out a couple of pieces of leather furniture. All of my natural forks come from brush piles from yard work. I have a couple of Osage orange logs drying in the back yard. Salvage Rocks!

5. bujak08

bujak08 New Member

i made my slingshot using old couch.:)

6. greenevegiebeast

greenevegiebeast New Member

We get a lot of pallets in every week. Most of which have to be returned to our D.C. (Distrabution Center.) We I have noticed they tend to use some nice oak pallets under the batterys. The pine ones won't handle the load.....

7. HandForged13

HandForged13 New Member

You can get some nice blanks from oak pallets. I usually visit carpenters and ask for there scraps to make my shooters. You can also find some exotic wood. I had a friend that found a nice piece of ebony! Not very large, but you could use it in part of another slingshot...

8. tokSick

tokSick Senior Member

Recycling is the way to keep the hobby cheap. [​IMG]

9. studer1972

studer1972 scooter trash

greenevegiebeast: I noticed the same thing about battery pallets when I worked at a telco switch. I hated throwing them out during the annual cleanup, but I drive small cars and had nowhere, back then, to store or burn them.