Salvage hammer becomes Rotten apple stickshot

Discussion in 'Show off your homemades!' started by Slagskimmer Mike, Aug 21, 2013.

1. Slagskimmer Mike

Slagskimmer Mike thinks TBG smells better than roses

What started out as firewood from my apple tree became a hammerhead project.
    20130709_173914.jpg

20130710_101727.jpg

20130712_101909.jpg

Until....Disaster.

20130716_174516.jpg
    It failed the first test...

I was bummed for most of a week, until this idea came:
    20130821_112736.jpg
    20130807_112725.jpg
    20130807_112601.jpg
    The Rotten Apple Half-hammer Stickshot.

All done with rasp, blades, files and sandpaper. Shot some spray polyurethane on it, then knocked the shine off with super fine sanding. Probably do a few more coats later.

What's left is plenty strong, and I like the colors and patterns of the spalted areas. I'm glad it didn't go back into the firewood box now.

I can't hit anything at all with it, but a new band set is in the works for it tonight.

2. Brazilviking

Brazilviking Thread Hijacker

The hammerhead was going so nice....Nice that you could still build something from the rest!

3. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

Aw man, that's too bad that it failed the way it did, sorry to see that! However, you did salvage it and turn it into a fine looking stickshot! The grain in that apple wood is excellent, I don't blame you for hanging on to it! Great job!

4. Wanimator

Wanimator Banned

I'd turn it into a handle personally.

5. Obelix

Obelix Delete

Great stickshot half hammerhead.

6. Odins_Zornn

Odins_Zornn Noob

Very nice! You have given me an idea... How dangerous :D

7. xXdoomXx

xXdoomXx Junior threadjacker ag. J

Great little stick shot :)

Does it shoot well ?

J

8. Courier

Courier Senior Member

It is a pity that this disaster happened, it would be an awesome hammerhead for sure.
    I think it is great that you did not throw the fork away...recycling is always a good thing, isn't it? :)
    Maybe you can call it the "Half-hammer" or the " Hammerstick" or something like that. :D
    We are waiting for the stunning results. Good luck!

9. slingpit

slingpit Slingshot addicted

The past has shown more times,that a disaster can be a new chance.
    So for what,it's a beauty.
    l like it

10. Slagskimmer Mike

Slagskimmer Mike thinks TBG smells better than roses

Thanks everyone for the kind words.

@Wanimator-- great minds think alike! It almost did become a handle. Thankfully none of my tools needed one, or my ss collection would have missed out.

@ J-- it does shoot surprisingly well. Last night I wasn't half bad with 4 layers tbg shooting stones. I think the whole stickshot thing might grow on me. First time I thought it was terrible, and a bit frightening, but they are nothing to fear with twist/tweak and a good flip. Might even be easier to learn because you can't get a side-to-side fork hit.

11. Tilia

Tilia Junior Member

gorgeous wood, the grain is really stunning

12. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

What a great save! Love the shape and the way it comes back over the shooting hand.

13. tokSick

tokSick Senior Member

Too bad that it broke but nice save with the stickshot idea. That wood is looking awesome. I got to find an apple tree now...