Rosewood Runner

Discussion in 'Show off your homemades!' started by G_Y, May 18, 2013.

1. G_Y

G_Y aiming the less

There was a piece of rosewood, a fallen tree ripped it years ago. Despite a small weak core testing showed good stability and handheld after removing most of the bork. A saw, rough and fine sandpaper did the rest. Furniture polish darkened it a bit. Should be good for 5 to 10g ammo.

Attached Files:

2. onnod

onnod Im from Holland, isnt that weird?

3. tokSick

tokSick Senior Member

Nice natural.
    Just checked on wiki for "rosewood", it seem to be dense, hard and resistant to moisture and vermin. I wish i could have access to that kind of wood:(

4. G_Y

G_Y aiming the less

Nice but similar to other woods. The bork was so rotten. Maybe it is blackberry, a kind of rose plant, too. Hedges of thorny blackberry are common here near fields or where forests end. Hazelnut is a bit more elastic, i think. Would be a good choice, too.

5. tokSick

tokSick Senior Member

I just finished a board cut and the next one will be a natural fork( i got some drying). I never managed to make one without cracks( I HATE CRACKS!!!!,... if you didn' t knew) but i will not give up until i got the(aproximative) same result you got. ;)

6. G_Y

G_Y aiming the less

Dead wood is harder, often laying around where farmers cut the hedges or hanging on a tree. It is dried, so less cracks while drying. Slow cutting without much pressing and finer grinding prevent cracks, too.