Roller fitted Slingshot Crossbow made mostly out of recycled wood

Discussion in 'Show off your homemades!' started by billybob0987, Jun 12, 2013.

1. billybob0987

billybob0987 New Member

I finally managed to finish a functioning crossbow, kind of. It needs alot of refining, especially as the trigger pull seems to be around the 40lb mark. But it fired a 18in bolt a good 35 feet and hit the target only a few inches below where I was aiming.

I made it out of several bits of ply wood in pretty good condition, a piece of slightly beaten 2x3, and some old tongue and groove, all of which Irescued from a fire pit at work. Also all the screws and bolts I had lying around, so it cost next to nothing to make, in fact pretty much the only things I bought were a piece of rubber from ebay, a length of metal tube for the rollers and to make some slip on arrow heads and a couple of cable tidying clip things to make a quiver. Probably no more than £10 for the lot. And the design obvious borrows alot from Joerg's bullpup crossbow, hope you dont mind, it just seemed to fit with the materials I had available.

I am toying with the idea of carving a slogan in the side of it saying "Born 2 Kill" with the 'O' swapped for the peace sign, kind of as a homage to the film Full Metal Jacket. The torch has only temporarily been fitted as a bit of a joke with my brother in law, who will probably be getting this as a birthday present.

Its a bit of a work in progress still, but I'm loving how its turning out, and its really comfortable, especially with the hole in the fore grip.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Nice and great crossbow!

Amazing and great work!

It is great recycling woodwork!

Very heavy!

Joe

3. sureshot_slingshot

sureshot_slingshot Sureshot

very cool indeed. Nice work and use of the materials around you. :)

4. billybob0987

billybob0987 New Member

Cheers, the crossbow itself is a little over 2 kilos, the draw weight is about 60lb, and has a 12inch power stroke, the trigger pull at the moment is nearly 40lb, so needs alot of improvement, I think I need to do alot of smoothing on the mechanism and reinforce the trigger mounting as its a bit loose, its my first attempt at one of these though and has taught me a lot for the next one

Also I love recycling materials, I make a lot of furniture at work from recycled materials and often make drink can cookers and stuff like that, I like to think it helps to off set my obsession with cars and motorbikes a little bit

Last edited: Jun 12, 2013
  5. FIAAO

FIAAO Failureisalwaysanoption

Welcome to the forum Billy! :)

I love that crossbow. And that it was made from "scrap"-wood... It sure looks like a ton of effort went into that one! Excellent work so far :D

6. tokSick

tokSick Senior Member

Very nice crossbow. Recycling is great!! Good job!
    Welcome to the forum;)

7. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

Nice! I love the "apocalypse" look.

As for the trigger, simply make a much longer one. Crossbows have no significant recoil, you can hold them with an open palm and use all four fingers to pull on a loooong trigger. This will make the pull absolutely manageable.

The sear needs to be polished to a high shine, and oiled as well. There should be zero sharp edges. Otherwise your string will break real early - the high draw weight creates tremendous friction.

8. onnod

onnod Im from Holland, isnt that weird?

9. Stama2

Stama2 New Member

Looks really really great =) Now I want to build one myself :)
    Congrats for this one :)

10. billybob0987

billybob0987 New Member

Thanks for all the complements I was worried about posting it before it was completely finished.

I am thinking a longer trigger might be a good idea, but theres alot of finishing to do on the parts as well, I think the tip of the sear may have developed a bit of a ridge in it, and the trigger itself is working itself a bit loose. Plus I'm wondering if the fact that the pivot screw is threaded where the sear sits on it might also cause some resistance.

11. Augusto

Augusto Junior Member Augusto

Hello my friend

A very nice work! I am finishing one slingshot crossbow inspired too at work's Joerg...Please can you give me one idea concerning your trigger?
    Thanks a lot
    Augusto

12. Augusto

Hi Billy

Congratulations! Indeed your slingshot gun is nice and cheap and works well! I have a question to you...How is the system trigger? In fact when i begin to make slingshot guns shooting arrows my principal problem is the trigger. Can you help me? I know the nut system but to work with metal needs more tools and experience...
    Regards
    Augusto

13. Alukuchen

Alukuchen Senior Member

14. CEZ

CEZ New Member

COOL! You should make more.

15. FIAAO

Hello Augusto! I don't know about Billy's trigger system, but I hope I still can be of help. You can see how the trigger from Joerg's bullpup crossbow works in this video:

https://www.theslingshotforum.com/f9/bullpup-arrow-shooter-tutorial-last-30368/

On the topic of the roller nut system, I Believe you can make nuts from high-quality multiplex. Also, many swedish crossbowmakers I know on another forum uses antler for their nuts.

16. Ghosth

Ghosth Over the hill but still swinging!

Augusto consider PVC for your crossbow nut.

Easy to cut, flatten a piece of PVC pipe with a bit of heat. Once flat it should be quite simple to cut any size circle you want. Can stack 3-5 layers to get whatever width you desire.

Its as tough or tougher than wood, less likely to to break, and easy to work with hand tools.

Keep the heat moving constantly to avoid burned spots which will break.
    Only use as much heat as you need. If you keep the heat low simply reheating it again will cause it to spring back to its original shape.

17. Augusto

Dear Friends

First of all, I am very thanks for your explanation about the construction of a nut and also the link concerning the tutorial of the most exciting weapon as I have seen before till now by Joerg. (well I speak about my personnel taste...) All right, I was so interesting about that pump crossbow than I Tried a lot to make something similar and I get...but with a very hard trigger, because I have nothing to give me a simple idea of the weapon works! Only I have seen two videos showing the weapon being tested...Theis link give me the chace to see for the first time a very good tutorial!

Now it is easy...grace to you both. I will very soon to built another one much more alike...a few moments ago I bought some material for that...

Thanks a lot and take a look please about my work some time ago

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-elg5tdD1CYA/U1E2RKpbbPI/AAAAAAAAJv8/sCmqM5IlFVU/s1600/25.jpg

[​IMG]Here the details of my bad trigger...
    http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-YQ2zOE9aGm8/U1E19AUP3DI/AAAAAAAAJvU/O_NosgBjMwQ/s1600/19.jpg

The weapon before mounted...

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-unctNclgn1E/U1E2HS9acZI/AAAAAAAAJvw/awyDpEVD070/s1600/24.jpg

Best Regards
    Augusto

Last edited: Apr 18, 2014
  18. Augusto

Hello Everybody

I Wish a nice Easter holidays to my friends in this Forum!

Have a good day
    Augusto

19. FIAAO

Very nice weapon Augusto! I have made a weapon like that too, you can see the latest "update" in this video:

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvxzZ-rJLA8&list=UUKkeJrn7pu5wS9PXHNEfPmA[/ame]

And here is a thread with some photos of the weapon before I perfected it:
    https://www.theslingshotforum.com/f5...-arrow-shooting-bullpup-crossbow-video-27990/

Are you going to use your older crossbow as a base for a bullpup-model, or are you making a new one from scratch?