Roket powered amunition

Discussion in 'New project ideas' started by curious_joerg, Mar 4, 2014.

1. curious_joerg

curious_joerg New Member

I thought of this when watching the new years video where Jorge shoot fire works out of a sling shot my idea is almost the same principle, but for taking down "heavy armored targets". So anyway you can buy or build model rockets that use solid fuel engines that fly a good distance with loads of power. Just shooting the rockets up is fun, but what if you took a steel tipped model rocket and launched it from a sling shot. You could launch the rockets by linking the ignition system button was up to the sling shot release. There are some factors you would have to think about such as the weigh of the rocket causing it to nose dive into the ground. Also take note where you shoot them they fly FAR AND HIT HARD!

P.s Theirs a back blast of rocket thrust to pop the parachute out of the rocket so maybe you could fill the rockets with gun powder so they explode eventually.

2. coyote-1

coyote-1 Member

Used to shoot model rockets at mountainsides upstate. We made them with old style cap igniters that we made from nails, and we'd open a handful of M80 fireworks and put the powder in the tip. The detonation method worked about 50% of the time. :)

3. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

A big word of warning. Depending on where you live, you need to be aware of the laws in your area before you try something like this. I've launched rockets myself and where I live, you can do this with certain restrictions. For one, you're not allowed to launch any rocket (or, presumably rocket motor powered item) at less than 20 degrees off of vertical - which means no horizontal launches allowed. Also, rocket nose cones are required to be made of a lightweight material like plastic or balsa wood. In addition, they are required to have a means of returning the rocket to earth in a controlled manner using either a parachute or streamer system. I've not looked in to explosives, but considering all explosives like fireworks are illegal here, so by extension, I would say it's likely illegal to make a flying explosive device as well.

My advice is to be very careful with something like this and be very certain of the rules in your area before you even attempt it.

4. buckshot500

buckshot500 Hoonigan Jeeper

I'm not sure shooting a rocket from a slingshot would be of any advantage to just shooting a rocket.

If it has to be accurate, then it's guidance system would need to make it so.

If you wanted to use a slingshot to gain vertical distance from the ground before ignition, then the guidance system would also have to deal with a possible 180 degree turnabout before continuing to destination.

Now if you are talking about a slingshot launched mortar type of thing, then that is not really a rocket.

5. Ghosth

Ghosth Over the hill but still swinging!

Danger, Danger Will Robinson!

Best give this one a pass guys, seriously it is a quick easy way to end up behind bars.

6. Haze

Haze New Member

Or don't get caught :D

7. Haze

Haze New Member

Yes - I believe Joerg is an authority on the whole 180 degree turn thing....

I'm with you - far better to just make a shoulder launcher and take it from there.

8. Haze

Haze New Member

The world is crazy. I know the gun laws vary from state to state, but it amazes me that you can't have fireworks in a country where you can annonymously buy a gun at a gun show.

9. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

In short - no constitutional protection for fireworks. What isn't protected gets regulated out of existence. I assume you're talking about private sales because if you buy from a dealer at a gun show, a background check is required by law.

Oregon has had some of the strictest laws on fireworks in the country. Anything that flies, explodes or moves more than 6 feet across the ground is off limits. That doesn't stop many folks from either crossing the border to Washington or another state to get them or go to the local reservation and buy whatever you want off the Native Americans.