Rides

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Antraxx, Oct 19, 2013.

1. Antraxx

Antraxx #7

As requested:

Started with this one in 2003. Ordered her New.
    2003 Moto Guzzi V11. 1100cc.
    I pretty much made the License because i saw this bike in a Magazine...love on first sight...Parents were not amused...not really stock anymore, that how she looks now. Normally the Passenger-Seat is covered tho.
    [​IMG]

I think 4-5 Years later, she looked like i wanted and i needed something else to do...so bought this one. Wasn´t running but overall in good condition.
    Fixed her over a Winter. I just realized i don´t have any Digital Pics of her... have to fix that next Spring for sure!
    1981 Moto Guzzi Monza. 500cc.
    [​IMG]

3 Years ago...Fuel starting to get painful expensive...i searched for something as a daily driver to work.
    Very Bad condition apart from the Paintjob...i can do anything BUT Paint, so i gave it a try. Running like a dream since, never once let me down.
    1984 Simson Schwalbe. 50cc
    [​IMG]

Awesome Scooter for a quick shopping tour into the city...but a bit weak for longer trips and for two...so i gave the next one a new home.
    Restored it over the last Winter...like the blue Scooter in my Living Room and on my Balkony (Thanks again to my very, very understandable wife lol!)
    Barely running...but the former owner was a firefighter and he made the paintjob at work...no choise of colors but it was for free.
    Like the blue one i nearly replaced everything. New cables, converted from 6 to 12V, new carburettor, suspension...made a lot of the needed parts myself on the lathe. This is really fun to drive and a headturner over here. Drove him 2kkm this year without a single fail.
    1961 IWL Berlin 150cc.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And now...it´s begining to get cold again...and since i had so much fun this year i felt comfortable to get back into past even more :)
    As the others this one is nearly completly original...down to the lightswitches.
    I just LOVE the simple and clean look...drives like a dream...it´s like sitting on a timemachine...shifting, breaking...you really need to learn a lot new again, but it´s so much fun. At the moment shes in parts and i began to replace some slide-bearings and stuff...really simple stuff...but so much character.
    1952 BMW R25/2 250cc
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I had a few others inbetween...mainly Japanese ones...sold them...not my kind of Ride...just too perfect.
    It´s really hard to describe the satisfiing feeling when you ride something everyday that you brought back to the street yourself...(selftaught and looked up on the internet, noone else)...and you know every screw and nut of.

Hope you like some of them...

Cheers

2. Obl1v1Aus

Obl1v1Aus Meh!

Gorgeous is the only word that comes to mind, simply stunning.
    I'd love a bike or two like those!

3. kineticweaponry

kineticweaponry Senior Member

That last one is absolutely stunning!

4. MountainStorm

MountainStorm Termite

They all have a great deal of eye appeal. I know exactly what you mean. My first real bike was a 1979 Bonneville T140D I restored back to factory specifications. What a money pit. But I've never felt such a union with any other machine. My other rides have all been Buells. I like a primitive machine and I plan to take a trip back in time when finances allow. I've got an itch to restore an old BMW.

Thanks for showing us your beauties.

5. dolomite

dolomite Banned

Nice collection man! My first streetbike was a cbr600f2, loved it so much I refuse to give it up. It's been wrecked by previous owners and was ugly as hell. When I saw it I thought no way but I rode it and it has the heart of a champion. So I bought it hoping the pull to the left was tires not damage to the suspension...and I was right! A little bondo and spray cans later and its a purty lil naked thats barely heavier than a new 600. She's not perfect by anyones standards but mine, she's been very good to me. Her name is Betty(Paige).

6. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

Wow, those bikes are stunning. The BMW is beautiful! Modern machinery is fast, smooth and reliable but you just cant beat the character of a classic that you need to put some of your soul into to restore and ride. Thank you for sharing them, made my day!

7. Antraxx

Antraxx #7

Hey MS
    Thanks for sharing my Experince. Since my first Car was an Alfa Romeo and i enjoyed a Trip to Rome and Capri in my past a lot i was somehow stuck to italien machines...if it wasn´t that experience Triumph would be my 2nd choise without a doubt. Another Producer with a lot of heart and soul i believe. That is SO rare today! Gladly old steel is still available...

Do it, buy a Beemer, they will not get any cheaper soon i believe and the driving experience is so rewarding :)

Thanks for your Comment.
    "She's not perfect by anyones standards but mine"
    That sums it up perfectly. When i first showed up with the old blue scooter...so many workmates were like: "Why? Why not buy a new one...looking much better etc."
    Half a year later a mates 125cc Hardwarestore-Korean(i believe)Scooter broke and it took him around 45min to just get access to the spark plug over all that plastic. Then i showed him that i only had to turn the handlebar to remove the plug...not even lift a cover...now he´s driving an 80s Vespa :D

Shhh, don´t tell anybody...all of them got names too...can´t help it lol

Hi Scooby, glad you like them. I think the reliability is not that bad. A few mates drive those Berlin Scooters (the IWL) to Paris each Year :D
    You just have to check some things on a regular base. Too much modern stuff tends to break too i think....whats to break on that R25?
    Not even Turn-Indicators or a Breaklight :D So they are a bit more timeconsuming...but i think they pay back.
    You even learn by maintaining them. I think it would also be a perfect way to get a child to engines and stuff because it´s so simple compared to modern stuff.

Cheers

Last edited: Oct 20, 2013
  8. Brazilviking

Brazilviking Thread Hijacker

Amazing work on this patient makers....I mean, motorcycles!!!
    You are very handy, man! Have you considered becoming a surgeon?

9. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

That '81 Moto Guzzi reminds me a bit of the Honda Nighthawk I had wanted when I was in High School. We were allowed to ride dirt bikes and ATV's (3-wheelers in those days) off-road, but street bikes were a no-go from the parents. Both threatened to kill me before the bike could if I ever tried to get one. My dad was in a very bad motorcycle accident before I was born and they never would allow us to ride them. By the time I was on my own, I never got around to getting one. So, I can just look and admire. You've owned some nice ones. That BMW is a really cool bike.

10. Jeremy

Jeremy Senior member who totally rocks a pink Scout! Pink

I always tell my wife if I we're to move back to Germany I would get a motorcycle and/or scooter.

11. Antraxx

Antraxx #7

I always tell my wife...lets move to Oregon :p Crater Lake...Heceta Head Lighthouse...Woods...Woods...Woods...a Dream!

Are Two-Strokes forbidden in Oregon/Utah too? I once heard they are forbidden in California and couldn´t believe it O.O

12. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Oh yes, don't forget Multnomah Falls, Cannon Beach, the Columbia River Gorge, Mt. Hood, Timberline Lodge - so many great things to see, and yes, woods, woods, woods - but we also have a lot of high dessert areas. Then there's the micro-brew craft beers, coffee, pinot noir, seafood, more food carts than you can count....I could go on, but I'll stop :)

The only place I know 2-stroke enginess are forbidden in Oregon are in the lakes and other waterways. On the roads or with power tools like a leaf blower, they are still allowed - I've got a chainsaw and a weed trimmer that are 2-stroke. But I wouldn't be surprised if they don't tighten the restrictions more in the future. We're not quite as controlled as California, but with so many coming to Oregon from California, we're seeing their tighter laws starting to trickle up north.

Here's a photo I took about 6 years ago of the Cape Mears lighthouse near Tillamook, OR. Sadly, some morons decided to shoot up the lens with some rifles one night, those beautiful red panels, along with many parts of the original Fresnel lens were damaged beyond repair. They are attempting to find suitable replacements. At least they caught the idiots that did it, but that is hardly payment for what they did.

[​IMG]

13. FIAAO

FIAAO Failureisalwaysanoption

Woah, really cool bikes :) I want to get older, lol! Love the red and white scooter :D

14. Antraxx

Antraxx #7

Isn´t that wonderful Withak?
    As some might know i´m more of a Photographer then Slingshotmaker...and so many people i knew went to those Locations from time to time...some once a year...i almost once joined them, but i was unabled to get time off from work.
    Such a shame.
    They camped near Mount Hood and caught the rising Sun...St. Helens the next Day (but thats Washington right?)...just amazing.

What i love is the fact that Oregon has the Ocean too.
    I don´t want to sound prejudiced but as far as my experience goes there are two kinds of people...those that love Mountains...and those who love the sea.
    I´m a "Sea-Type"...nothing wrong with beautiful Mountains, but The Sea is just...hmmm

Thats really a shame with those Lenses. I bet those were handmade and there are no manufacturer left who still craft them...and if they would they are not cheap. Sad story :(

Take care

AnTrAxX

15. Xanthos

Xanthos Nobody

Nice Bikes and Scooter. I like old Bikes!

16. FIAAO

FIAAO Failureisalwaysanoption

Antraxx: Interesting theory... I guess you have to add the third type, those who loves both (That's me :) ). But now when I think of it, maybe I am more of a Mountain-lover...

17. dolomite

dolomite Banned

I've got both here in Cali, love both but slightly favor mountains-It's where I was born.
    Antraxx, if ever in California you have to see Patrick's Point state park, one of the most scenic areas of the state, your camera would have a "crisis".

18. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

I hope you make it here someday, I do think it's worth a trip. But then again, I have a dream of making it to Europe some day myself. I'm more of an ocean guy, my wife loves the mountains - between the two of us, we've both learned to appreciate the other. In fact, I think I made my wife fall in love with the ocean more than the mountains. But we have both here, so we can see both when the mood strikes.

Yes, Mt St Helens is in Washington, but less than a 2 hour drive from my home, and it's beautiful there. I still remember the day it erupted back in 1980, we could see it from our home, it is a memory I will never forget. And Washington is a great place to visit too, the Puget Sound is a wonderful place.

And, finally, the lighthouse, yes, that Fresnel lens (a 'first order' lens, the largest of the Fresnel lenses) was imported from Paris in 1889. They may be able to replace the broken parts, but it won't replace the history that was lost. I love lighthouses and it just made me sick when I heard the news.

Of course I'm biased toward Oregon myself, but I've seen parts of our neighbor in California. The redwoods up north are amazing. The Napa valley is absolutely beautiful in the spring. And though it's the 'flatlands', I did enjoy San Franciso. I haven't yet seen Tahoe, I'd love to head into that area some day. SoCal is okay, but I much prefer areas a bit north of there.

19. pelleteer

pelleteer Middle Aged Delinquent

Speaking of rides, this would be the perfect one for Joerg to cruise around on in his next zombie movie. :D

[​IMG]

Nice bikes, Antraxx. :cool: