The Slingshot Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am uploading (hopefully) 4 jpegs of my first slingshot efforts after joining this forum. We love that big German "teddy bear" AKA Joerg Sprave. I am sure our Texas drawls would be equally funny to him :)

My first jpeg is of my hand which is rather large at least in it's span which is somewhere between 9.5 and 10 inches. It is not a "meaty" hand like that of Joerg but I have trouble finding gloves that fit. My measurements would indicate I need a large glove, but I have trouble even finding XL gloves that will fit my hand - especially length of my fingers.

The 2nd is my version of Joerg's 3 Pillars of Destruction - my first attempt at making a slingshot. I have had back surgery and an injury to my right elbow but even on my best day I doubt I was ever close to the kind of power Joerg has :)

So my goal was to build my version with what I had around the house. So instead of square channel I used some 1x2 pine for the base. I used 3/8" x 6" carriage bots instead of 1/2" threaded rod. I did buy some Devcon 2-part 5 minute epoxy to put it all together. I already had the aluminum tubing to slip over the forks and I deviated a bit in the handgrip by gluing the dowel not only to the carriage bolt but to the 1x2 base. I had some blue plastidip that was about to dry up so used it to give a rubber coating to the grip. Turns out I has a piece of red thera-bond red flat rubber from my physical therapy after my back surgery. So I used a very strong taper and two bands per fork. I wished I had done something a little different on the forks ... first I thought about epoxying a 1/2" steel ball to the top of those forks nestled into the diameter of the aluminum tubing. Then I though what would have been even better is to split the tubing at the top of the forks and epoxying horizontally a couple of pieces of the aluminum tubing to provide a broader surface for the over-the-top rubber. I recycled some leather from an old pair of shoes (sandals) that I had. I also already had a leather punch from years ago. Although the hole size was not large enough so I overlapped three holes on each side to make a slot. I had the "bright" idea (?) of using zip ties to secure the bands to the leather but the zip ties I had were probably too large and too stiff as that did not work well. I had first tried the constrictor knot with some 500-lb test nylon cord but it did not work at first for me. I am a bit of a knot nut and was once a member of the IGKT (http://www.igkt.net) so was confident I knew this knot. Turns out I had a bit too much confidence on those first efforts. I was NOT tying it correctly. Anyway I bought some steel balls in 3/8" and 1/2" and I like the 1/2" I have taken a few shots into a big sandpile I have on the place. I REALLY like the W-Frame as it is easy on my weakened right arm.

I went on to build the power steel slingshot (Joerg's 2009.08.24 video) I used 3/8" dia eye bolts - I bought them and some 1/2" steel square tubing. Turns out the square tubing was a bit small and the hardest part of the build. My neighbor had an old and a bit wobbly drill press and it took me sometime to do the holes and there was not much sidewall left. I also bought about 6' of 1/4" surgical rubber tubing from my local mom & pop hardware store and mounting it first in the double rubber Chinese system turned out to be too much for this 'old man'. So I switched over to single rubbers 24" long. I also had to lower the forks to the lowest I could go.

I already had some Fimo clay around so enjoyed customizing the grip to fit my hand. Still with my elbow weakness I still prefer the W frame.

Well the slingshot bug has bitten me bad by now! So I just received Jack H Koehler's SLINSHOT SHOOTIG from Amazon and I devoured that book.

I also went to Simple-Shot and bought the Ultima Polymer (my big hands drove that choice) I thought $25 was a lot to pay at first, but I love the way it shoots and fits my hand. I have thought that some type of non-slip surface added to it might help my grip some though. What surprised me was the small size and short length of the tubes. However, it was a perfect match for my strength which make me thing I may be overdoing the strength of my rubbers on my homemade slingshots.

The final jpeg picture is a shot of some forks I have recently debarked. The first one is a piece of juniper (some call juniper cedar but technically that is not accurare) which all around us in NE Texas. The second fork had this residual sub-fork that I kept. My little finger fits against it well and helps my grip. The last one is really small for my hand, but works OK if I use the thumb-finger grip around against the forks.

I found I enjoyed the whittling aspect of working on these tree branches almost if not more than shooting slingshots:) The design engineer in me I guess?

I am interested in technical assistance on these forks. E.G. should the forks be of equal diameter? Is the the large grip of the big juniper fork too large? I like the feel of each of them in my hand with the various ways I had tried holding each one. Also like the smell of juniper! Juniper berries put the flavor in gin - not that I am a fan of that bitterness.

I am smack in the middle of the original native area of the osage orange tree or as we call it around here either the bois d'arc tree in its various spellings or the horse apple tree as many call it. I still have one big old bois d'arc still on my property. I has some big limbs I would like to remove and would be willing to trade some wood for some expertise in making slingshots. I am already fascinated by the microwave and other methods of quickly drying wood and those using HDPE plastics to mold forks.

I searched youtube for "whittling slingshots" and came across this fascinating 70 yr old named Chris Lubkemann who just happened to show in a sidebar of sorts a couple HUGE slingshots he had made - no details though :(

I have the NEWBIE enthusiasm and I already have more "bubble gum than I can chew" when it comes to hobbies and interests. Probably a hazard of being an an R&D electronics design engineer for the past 40 years.

So SORRY for the verbosity. Blessings.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIUunE9lYvI[/ame]

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,761 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Be careful with that 1/2 inch pine as a base. The way the stresses will act on it, combined with the direction of the grain could result in it snapping. :eek: Its better to use square steel pipe. The forks should be of equal diameter.

The best place to find info is here! Don't be afraid to ask! There are many people here that are willing to help, as "spreading the disease" is one of our favorite things to do here in the forum. :)
Just from now on, try and keep it a little shorter, as it will help us keep track of what you're asking exactly. :)

·
Premium Member
3,195 Posts
might i suggest, depending on your location, a wrist braced slingshot...

this will reduce strain on your wrist tenfold... you may even be able to use heavier bands...

i cannot give advice on how to make one as i have never made a wrist braced shooter, but i did have an old barnett shooter in my youth which was wrist braced...

and as already stated, if you need any help or advice, this forum is full of skilled craftsmen with varying degrees of expertise in various fields that are more than happy to help out when they can...

just ask

·
Administrator
10,887 Posts
Welcome. Nice work so far.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Me too on the One by Two

Welcome to the forum! Be careful with that 1/2 inch pine as a base. The way the stresses will act on it, combined with the direction of the grain could result in it snapping. :)
Indeed! I am concerned also about the 1x2 - I do plan to keep the bands weaker because of that and my posts will be shorter in future. Thanks for the advice. RG

·
Failureisalwaysanoption
3,648 Posts
Nice start RG! I very much enjoyed the long post, helped me kill time on the bus :)

The forks look good. I like the sweet smell of juniper, my first GST-submission was a juniper slingshot. Again, welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
I found I enjoyed the whittling aspect of working on these tree branches almost if not more than shooting slingshots:) The design engineer in me I guess?
Well grab that other chair over there on the porch! We do us some Whittlin round here.
dp9.jpg

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts