Revisiting a very early attempt

Discussion in 'Show off your homemades!' started by VWscooby, Jan 18, 2014.

1. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

So, looking through my box of frames I came across my 3rd ever attempt at making a slingshot. It was also my first time using a rasp and I remember being really proud of it at the time as it was a very uneven fork and needed a lot of material taking off to make it even.

The thing was I didn't have any sandpaper so only sanded it to 120grit and gave it a coat of linseed and left it there. Looking at it again I realised I hadn't done it justice so decided to rework it.

Its a Hawthorn fork (I think) which usually have a nice grain so I didn't do anything except resand it up to 1200grit then gave it a CA finish. This is easily the best CA finish I done so far so really happy with it. I didn't fix any of the flaws in the initial build, its nice to see how you improve I think. The pics don't really do the grain or finish justice but what can you do?!

Oh, its also the only frame of mine that I've named. The lump on the bottom was just something to hold onto while I shaped it (No vice) and I was going to cut it off when done but my other half said it looked liked the foot of the fawn in the Narnia film she was watching so I give you...

THE HOOF!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Thanks

James

Last edited: Jan 18, 2014
  2. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

I like it Scooby! It looks really good. I love the shape and I would say making the choice to revisit this piece was a good one. I've got a couple of unfinished forks that I may need to go back to at some point myself, this may help encourage me to do so.

3. Jeremy

Jeremy Senior member who totally rocks a pink Scout! Pink

Looks very good.

4. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

It was quite nice revisiting it, I did think of evening up the swell and adding a contrasting endcap but I wanted it as a record of what I had done in the past so left it as is. Its 100% hammergrip and actually feels pretty nice in the hand.

Im a little gutted I couldn't get really nice pics of it, honestly the grain is really impressive. Its raining over here (as you can see in the pictures!) and I tried floodlights, normal household lights and even stuck it a lizard vivarium but the normal natural light pictures were the only ones that looked ok.

I would ask for photo advice but a compact 10mp pocket £80 camera will never take take amazing pictures I suppose.

5. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Do you do any post processing on your computer? Cameras are set up to provide a pre-adjusted output that is rarely true to the actual colors you see. If you do post-processing, you can easily adjust the colors to more closely match what you see and to improve the sharpness and contrast. You can get improved results from an inexpensive camera with just a few extra steps - just don't over-do the adjustments. There is some decent software out there for free that works well. I use Faststone Image Viewer from time to time when I don't feel like opening up Adobe Lightroom.

6. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

Wow, thanks Withak! Just downloaded Faststone, literally 10 seconds later it looks like this. (Ok, probably gone a little too far but hey!) Im going to have a little play around later and edit all the top pictures. Thats made my day! :)

[​IMG]

7. Snader76

Snader76 Dysfunctional Member

Looks great Scooby. Like the shape and that grain looks amazing.

8. dolomite

dolomite Banned

Scoobs, Mr. Tumners would be proud of that fork! I really dig that CA finish, I did one with clear epoxy once but it was 5min and I've got slow hands so I screwed it up. Good work bro.

9. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Cool! Great work on that Scooby! Also note that Faststone can do 'batch' processing of photos - so if you needed to process multiple photos using the same adjustments, or maybe just to resize them, it's really easy in that program without having to adjust each one individually. If you ever need any help with that part, feel free to ask.

10. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

Thanks :) All I did was up the contrast and drop the brightness so it looks like it does in 'real' life. Much happier now that the grain can be shown off, it looks almost 3D on the 'white' side. Thats why I love naturals, you never know quite what you are going to get and sometimes there is a lovely spalty surprise :)

I think I'm starting to get the hang of the CA now. Four thin layers, cut back with 600grit then two more thin layers then wet sanded and polished. It feels really grippy too despite the glass like finish. Makes my eyes sting like crazy putting it on though!

11. xXdoomXx

xXdoomXx Junior threadjacker ag. J

Beautiful astounding

J

12. slingpit

slingpit Slingshot addicted

Looks great. Nice grain, nice shape , nice slingshot.

13. flicks

flicks ...lost in the woods....

Awesome James. Hawthorne is such a great wood to work with. Quite hard and a very nice grain! You did a great job on that!:cool:

14. BeMahoney

BeMahoney Builder of things

Really beautiful!

Four thumbs up!

- and now I´m even more curious
    about the tho hawthorns drying
    in my shop.. :)

thanks for sharing!

Be

15. LW

LW New Member

Very nice character for this one. You did right to give this beauty a second chance.

Nice work VWscooby !

16. rock slinger

rock slinger I rarely shoot rocks!

Wow man I thinck that is probable one of the most comfortable natrals that I have seen excellent job

17. Antraxx

Antraxx #7

Wow, the slight spalting looks brilliant on that one !

18. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

Thank you everyone for the nice comments, I really do appreciate them :)

It was really nice to work on (twice!) but I definitely got lucky with the spalting on this one!

Looking forward to seeing what your Hawthorn gives you Be :)