Remove or not remove the bands???

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by Brazilviking, Nov 30, 2013.

1. Brazilviking

Brazilviking Thread Hijacker

I've been thinking.......Would be valuable to remove the bands from the sling if you are not going to use it for some time? (a week, a month...)
    Or it just doesn't make any difference?
    Does it matters something on bands life, quality...anything?

2. BeMahoney

BeMahoney Builder of things

not sure

I think the weak point is the bands at the pouch?
    So then it would be logical to remove the pouch?..
    If it´s not the forces deriving from shooting..

I´ll keep em banded up, prevent exposure to UV radiation
    and replace if necessary!

Kind regards to you,
    my friend!- PM soon!

be

3. Jeremy

Jeremy Senior member who totally rocks a pink Scout! Pink

I keep mine banded and in a bag and try to avoid exposure to air and UV.

4. Ravensbull

Ravensbull New Member

I've read that besides UV exposure and heat, that even just air causes degrading. I read that Tex on SSF stores his bulk rolls of natural latex in the fridge but just cold not frozen. He said that seeing he buys factory direct to be able to control how it is kept fresh from the beginning. I think he actually sells/ships his bands in the amber/brown medication bottles due to being fairly airtight and the color is due to UV blockers to prevent photosensitive medications from degrading. Lots of experience that man has so following suit seems good wisdom! I roll (not fold) all my raw bulk in ziplocks, squeeze out all the air possible and then inside snap lid storage containers. In the bottom back of the fridge it goes! Too anal maybe... I think just a dark, dry and cool place is sufficient though... That is if your fridge is too full instead of a bachelor beer cooler like this one!

5. rock slinger

rock slinger I rarely shoot rocks!

Too much work to always remove an attach. But just be careful of the environment.

6. Ghosth

Ghosth Over the hill but still swinging!

I think I'd only take it down if you knew you were not likely to shoot it much for a fairly long period of time.

Myself I have 4 banded up and working, well, 3 of those have thera tube Red tubes not bands.

The one with bands is loaded with Golds Gym Green and it is a sweet sweet shooter. But I mostly leave it on the shelf. But that is just me.

7. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Good question BV. I've wondered that same thing myself. Personally, I just leave them banded and in a dark container when I'm not using them. I suppose if I weren't going to use them for months, I might un-band them at that point. But I have an old Marksman slingshot that sat in my closet for more than 10 years - no special protection. I took it out earlier this year and started shooting it again, and the tubes, both at the forks and where they are tied to the pouch, were just fine. The tubes had discolored a bit, but really, they worked just fine. I've heard a few folks that say that the degradation of latex is perhaps a bit more of a concern for the average shooter than is necessary. I can say based on my experience with only one long term storage of bands, that it was hardly enough to worry about.

Now, if SHTF, then storage will be a big concern, since you'll probably not get any more in your lifetime. Gotta watch for those zombies.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2013
  8. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

Rubber is organic matter, which lasts longer when kept in cool dark environments. Drawer works. Fridge may work even better, especially if you live in a hot country. Shelf, not so good.

Metal slingshots, don't keep those banded up. The oxide usually is bad for the bands. Stainless steel or chrome is relatively easy on oxide (= easy on bands), brass, copper, bronze, aluminum is bad. If you must keep them banded up, put some old rubber underneath as cushioning. You'll be surprised how it looks like after a few months.

When you keep a slingshot banded up with the thin rubber strip method, those will eventually tire out on you. The more you stretch them, the quicker that happens. Means, if you plan to keep a slingshot banded up for a longer time, use thicker strips and don't stretch them to the max.