Redgum Shooter

Discussion in 'Show off your homemades!' started by Obl1v1Aus, Jan 17, 2014.

1. Obl1v1Aus

Obl1v1Aus Meh!

Heres another of this weeks projects.
    I found this awesome RedGum fork in a pile of trees someone had illegally dumped in the bushland surrounding town.

It was pretty beaten up and had lots of crystallised sap over it, but it was still quite dense and very strong (I've tried repeatedly to break it and it made my saw blunt)

After cleaning the bark off I found a couple of shallow sap pockets that I decided to leave as they have nice character.

So here it is, finished in BLO and furniture wax

[​IMG]
    I hate how my camera picks up,scratches that I cant see!
    [​IMG]
    Heres one of the sap pockets, its only 2mm deep and doesn't affect the strength of the wood at all
    [​IMG]

2. kohlqez

kohlqez Accident-Prone

That has a very nice natural shape, great find and great job

3. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Wow, you've got access to some really great 'exotic' woods available to you. Mine are somewhat boring by comparison. This is a nice natural shape in the fork. I really like the pitting in the wood, it really adds to the character of the slingshot.

4. Flipgun

Flipgun Well-Known Member

Interesting character marks and colors.

5. Obl1v1Aus

Obl1v1Aus Meh!

Thanks kohlqez!

Exotic? Maybe for you :D these gumtrees are everywhere down here. Exotic for me would be Yew and Birch. The pitting has the feel of rifle handle stippling thats been done by hand so its quite grippy

Thanks flipgun, the more I work with naturals the more I appreciate the little 'imperfections' as some would call them.

6. xXdoomXx

xXdoomXx Junior threadjacker ag. J

7. onnod

onnod Im from Holland, isnt that weird?

she's beautiful! those sap pockets indeed have a nice character :)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Slingshot Forum mobile app