Red oak boardcut

Discussion in 'Show off your homemades!' started by Tubes, Dec 15, 2013.

1. Tubes

Tubes weird kid in the corner

Hey guys! Fist post on here, but not my first slingshot. Back to the topic- so in my neighbor's basement we found at least 600 bucks worth of red oak. (I've had some fun with that so far) my newest from the pile is this:

ImageUploadedBySlingshot Forum1387159352.413086.jpg

If is of the sidewinder type, and I like to call it the hornet, due to the "stinger" on the third finger groove. I wanted to make it small, so I went without a groove for my pinkey. Used a 1 1/4" hole saw, a band saw and a router to do all the shaping and rounding. (3/8" round over bit in the router to round it.) soaked in linseed oil. Sanded up to 400 grit.

2. CaptainBacon

CaptainBacon Knowledgeable Man

Do you have another piece glued to the other side cross-grained? If not, please don't try shooting this slingshot. The direction of the grain is going to sabotage your face when you draw.

3. Ravensbull

Ravensbull New Member

Yeah, I'm with CaptainBacon!!! That thing has got "hazardous to health" written all over it unless it's cross laminated...!!!

4. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

That's a nice slingshot. I like that particular style. The color is really nice too. You did a good job on it. I'm with the others, unless there is at least another piece laminated to this one at a 90 degree angle, or maybe a center laminate of metal, micarta or the like, I would be very concerned about this slingshot failing along the grain lines. I know oak is a strong wood, but I've seen enough pictures of broken slingshots to at least express the concern.

5. Ravensbull

Ravensbull New Member

I feel I must apologize for coming off a bit rude.. I like the design too and your execution of the work is very nice also! We're just all concerned that upon drawing back those tubes, a fork tip could snap off and really put a hurting to your face or eye and it will happen fast with no warning or slight cracking... Looks like your on your way to building some great pieces but wood grain orientation is priority number one with boardcuts.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2013
  6. Tubes

@captian bacon it has supporting pins, three of them. One In either fork and one in the thin spot in the handle.

7. Tubes

No, that's okay. Im the same age as theartofweapons, so I don't know everything for this topic. There is supporting pins though, three of them. Thanks!

8. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Well then, that makes your work even more impressive. The pins will definitely be a help - I have a pinned slingshot myself. Do you have any photos that show the pins from the fork end? Just curious. Again, nice work.

9. CaptainBacon

CaptainBacon Knowledgeable Man

I'm glad about the pins. Keep building and posting.