Recycled HDPE Rambone from milk cartons! - video tutorial

Discussion in 'Show off your homemades!' started by The Art Of Weapons, Dec 27, 2013.

1. hey!
    for a while now after reading a few threads of discussion about this i decided to go out there and give it a go!
    i turned out really well!
    here is part 1 of my video tutorial and part 2 will be up soon!
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvbfLS-JgwA[/ame]
    this is a green and eco-friendly slingshot and a great way to use your old milk cartons!
    all of the material for this slingshot where free and i didnt pay a penny for them ( just scavenged lots of old smelly milk cartons out of the bins)
    i ave now spent loads of time experimenting with all of the colours to mix ect and they really look epic! I have started to make a coloured rambone but it is not finished (also videoed a tutorial!)
    i have videoed all of my experiments and will upload all of them in 2 weeks! :)
    i hope that you enjoy this video and find it helpfull! :)
    this slingshot took 3 failed attempts and lots of time (i hate polishing up HDPE) so if you did enjoy it then please let me know!

Attached Files:

2. i now have the rambone fever!
    i have almost finished making 3 of them and i am looking to make a slingbow hybrid and cast a full aluminium one with lost foam casting (in time)
    :)
    i will buy a rambone as soon as they get back in stock!

Attached Files:

3. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

You depress me, when I was your age I was struggling to change the brakes on my mountain bike!

Great work (as always) really like the one in the first pic. Colours, pins everything looks great.

4. thanks man!
    i am really glad that you enjoyed it and sorry for depressing you! :)

5. BeMahoney

BeMahoney Builder of things

Scoobs is right!-Outstanding work!

Really a pleasure to see your enthusiasm,
    creativity and of course skill!

Did you think about using a gas-flame to
    "remelt" the surface to make it slick / smoothen
    the surface?- We did that to acrylic glass to
    receive transparent surfaces after grinding..

Greetings to you,

Be

Last edited: Dec 27, 2013
  6. yep that might work but there is always the risk of burning the plastic and killing my self with fumes :)
    i could however use a soldering iron to weld some of the different layers of HDPE together?

7. BeMahoney

Theres those Teflon-plated "welding disks"? for PP-tubes..

8. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Wow TAOW, you really are a skilled young man. I'm with Scooby - I wouldn't have even attempted half the things you do when I was your age. I've seen some good work with recycled HDPE and your are right up there with some of the best I've seen. I've not had a chance to watch the video yet (I will soon) so maybe you answer this in the video - but I was wondering - it looks like you laminated a couple of pieces of HDPE together? If so, how did you do that? I know standard adhesives and epoxy will not bind HDPE. When I've looked for an adhesive that will, I come up with nothing. The only method I know of involves 'welding' them together with a special heating tool. So, if you did laminate them, how did you do it?

9. BeMahoney

the machine on the right, under REMS SSM 160RS

http://www.rems.de/kunststoffrohr-schweissen.aspx

the one with the blue plate..

Another option would be a professional hot air blower
    (I bought one at ALDI, for 22.90€ instead of 29.90€ ..)

Last edited: Dec 27, 2013
  10. it is explained in part 2 of the tutorial that is not up yet but i basicly just epoxyd the layers and secured them with some very tight fitting pins that go into the material at different angles so that the laminated layers cant come off :)
    hope that this explained it :)

11. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

12. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Interesting. I'll be curious to see how that process holds up under the stress of shooting. Everything I've read to date says that epoxy just won't hold with HDPE, but maybe your process will prove that to be wrong.

13. the epoxy is not taking any stress any more, just the metal pins that are very secure. the epoxy was just to help as i put the pins in.

14. That is freaking AWESOME! I always just recycled milk jugs into stuff for my blowguns, I am certainly going to have to use your idea. Great job man!

15. codido187

codido187 New Member

Great work may I ask a few questions first I would like to ask how many milk jugs does it take to make one, second what do you use for casts and molds. I've watched a few of your videos the aluminum slingshot and you have inspired me what casts have you used for both hdpe and aluminum

16. Flipgun

Flipgun Well-Known Member

Young Brother, You are going to impress me so many times that my, "Get Impressed Button" is gonna break.

17. thanks i really hope that your projects work out well!

18. [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XytjjbrGNA[/ame]
    Part 2 is now up on yt!