Rcompensation

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by JimRhodo, Jan 2, 2014.

1. JimRhodo

JimRhodo Junior Member

Just a quick question:
    I shoot a Dankung double tubed cat left handed at nine o'clock (or gangsta style). If I'm aiming carefully I tend to group to the right.

I presume this is because I'm compensating for the tension on the elastic suddenly disappearing when I release.

But it's not always like that and sometimes I hit exactly what I'm aiming at without any bother. The target below was 4cm at 6 metres hit by aiming to the left when I consistently missed to the right. It happened with a can earlier.

So. Is it normal to have to aim at a non target point to hit a target or can I change something so I can use my sighting point as just that?

Last edited: Jan 2, 2014
  2. JimRhodo

JimRhodo Junior Member

Attached Files:

3. BeMahoney

BeMahoney Builder of things

Arturo would tell you:

It´s all about mindfullness and release, release, release..

And he´d be soo right....

Greetings to you!

Be

4. Ravensbull

Ravensbull New Member

Maybe try turning your forks fully sideways. It sounds like your explaining "9 o'clock" as the 45° turn, which is fine to use and many people do. But if you shoot true sideways/gangsta ott and anchor at the corner of your mouth, jaw, earlobe, floating at shoulder or whatever you do, with your head tilted down you can align your bands and fork tips. That way you can find a solid aiming point with the top corner of the upper fork. Hope that helped. Or start consciously aiming less and learn more instinctive snap shooting. I feel I often shoot better instinctive style because I don't hesitate on release and think too hard about where it's going. Shooting the same rig, bands, pouches and ammo constantly really gets you connected to the feel and output of what your using. Have you tried just stepping around unknown distances and shooting offhand? That way you in grain in muscle memory what your draw was when you knew the shot required a little extra gusto so you play around outside your solid shooting reps. It loosens me up for more concentration when I shoot "serious" again imho. Good luck and let us know what you figure out!

5. JimRhodo

JimRhodo Junior Member

@Ravensbull: I think I'll take you up on mixing up distances. I still want to crack 80% at a 5cm target from 5 metres but I think I need a more three dimensional approach. The whole intuitive approach is exciting but a little alarming too because it is less controlled by the conscious rational part of the brain.

@ Be: amen to that.