Raw & Ready

Discussion in 'Show off your homemades!' started by studer1972, Jul 17, 2013.

1. studer1972

studer1972 scooter trash

I found out the right scroll saw blade for 3/4" hardwood or multiplex is 10 TPI at ~1000 RPM. I have you now, scroll saw!

Now that I'm not snapping blades every couple of minutes or having to feed so slow I may as well use a hand saw, my output should increase. My next several forks will be called the Raw & Ready series, since there's not much sense in giving them a nice finish when they're just to practice my scroll saw skills.

Here is the raw cut of Raw & Ready No 001 fresh from the scroll saw:
    [​IMG]

Basic shaping, sanding, and filing completed, lucky penny mounted:
    [​IMG]

Bands attached and pull tested:
    [​IMG]

Lanyard attached. I used stretchy cord I have laying around. It works perfectly so I don't have to grip the handle. We'll see if it helps my precision.
    [​IMG]

More to come. I hope to have 4 more Raw & Ready done by this weekend as gifts for friends nearby. First time I'll have made it to Nerdly Doings since last winter. :)

2. studer1972

studer1972 scooter trash

Raw & Ready No 001 notes: both sides are supposed to look like the thinner side. The miscut on the thicker side does make a handy thumb brace, but it was luck. The extra wood at the base of the thick side's handle would work better on the thinner side, I think. I got lucky that way on my first board cut, but not this time. The fork tips are slightly uneven. How much will that impact accuracy?

3. Brazilviking

Brazilviking Thread Hijacker

HEHEHEHEEHHY! I like it! Sounds nasty!
    "having to feed so slow "....have you had a stomach reduction?:eek:

4. tokSick

tokSick Senior Member

If the top of the forks are flat( aligned) you should be able to adapt your shooting and it wont affect the accuracy that much IMO.
    Anyway, keep practicing with your scroll saw ;)
    Good job my friend.

5. tokSick

tokSick Senior Member

I forgot to tell you... My advice if you don' t want to make a finish is to sand the fork tips as smooth as possible otherwise your bands will wear very quickly at that spot. TBG is not that cheap, isn' t it?

6. studer1972

studer1972 scooter trash

Thanks for the feedback.

7. knifefightermike

knifefightermike New Member

Now that you have the right blade and some practice in the curves, try making a template of the shape you'd like and use that to draw the outline directly on the wood in pencil. That will give you a line to follow and make it a lot easier to get the curves even. Fold a thin piece of cardboard in half and cut the fork and half handle shape like making a heart for Valentine's Day in school, that way they will be identical. Hope that helps! :)

___
    Edited to add:

Here's one way I use:

https://www.theslingshotforum.com/f5/laminated-ss-v2-pic-heavy-30423/#post218107

Last edited: Jul 18, 2013
  8. Flipgun

Flipgun Well-Known Member

Knifefightermike said everything I was going to. ;)