Random Root PFS

Discussion in 'Show off your homemades!' started by Bighaze51, Oct 21, 2013.

1. Bighaze51

Bighaze51 Professional Amateur Dude

I would like to give credit to the man who started it all. I decided last night I wanted a real deal official PFS so I printed off the template and cut it out. I had cut a root that was sicking out of the ground and it was just thick enough for this build. I cut it out on the bandsaw and shaped it out with a rasp. Finished with BLO and beeswax. I banded it up with some Golds Gym green band and just shot two dead center bullseyes. WOW! I like it. And a very special thanks to Dgui for starting the PFS revolution!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This little shooter is pictured with the root I cut it out of

2. xXdoomXx

xXdoomXx Junior threadjacker ag. J

3. FIAAO

FIAAO Failureisalwaysanoption

4. LW

LW New Member

This is a classic Natural PFS, with a super nice texture. I would like to see the dimensions,
    I know the original PFS template, but it is always nice to see a finished slingshots hold in someone’s hands.

Nice work on this one !

5. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

Very nice! :)

Ive been shooting nothing except a 'classic' PFS for about a fortnight now, they are such a practical little design. Pocketable, comfortable and accurate! Yours puts mine to shame though, very pretty and well finished too :)

Last edited: Oct 21, 2013
  6. onnod

onnod Im from Holland, isnt that weird?

very nice!! i love roots, they have something normal forks don't have, maybe it's because they're 'underground'

7. Courier

Courier Senior Member

I agree! The grain of the root-wood gives the slingshot a lot of character.

8. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Nice work BigHaze! The grain structure of that root is very nice, lots of character. Nice shape. I still have yet to make or shoot a PFS myself. It's coming. The more I see revealed like this, the more I feel the tug to make one myself. Well done.

9. Bighaze51

[​IMG]

Here it is in my hand. This thing is sweet. I've made some good shots with this one today. I really like how the original design shoots compared to what I've been making. I actually shot a rat without earlier when I was mowing the lawn. I get a bunch of them up near my house. Especially when I spend too much time building slingshots and not cutting the grass. :) I appreciate all the kind words. I built another from the same root today but I tried ebonizing it with a vinegar/rust mix. I'm going to buff it here in a bit and post a pic for a comparison. And hopefully tomorrow I'll have one to show y'all made from teak wood.

10. Jeremy

Jeremy Senior member who totally rocks a pink Scout! Pink

Very nice PFS. Love it.

11. Arturo Borquez

Arturo Borquez Administrator

Great natural PFS ! awesome root grain ! I like it very much, congrats ...
    Cheers
    Arturo

12. Bighaze51

Thanks guys! I'm loving this shooter more and more.
    As promised, here is the Evil Twin. Stained with vinegar/rust and finished in CA glue
    [​IMG]

13. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

Who would have thought vinegar and rust could do that?! Great result.

The green bands look really good, kind of like it has been banded up with banana leaves, makes it look twice as natural for some reason!

14. Tilia

Tilia Junior Member

nice piece of wood that is

15. Bighaze51

Thanks guys! The vinegar/rust I believe forms iron acetate. It reacted with the tannins in the wood and turns it black. Its called ebonizing. The more you apply the blacker it gets but I wanted an in between, aged look.

16. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Interesting, never heard of 'ebonizing' before. I just may have to try that some day. I really like how it turned out on that PFS.

17. Bighaze51

It works best with hardwoods but you can achieve the effect on other woods too. You just brew a strong cup of black tea and paint that on the wood before you apply the vinegar. Then you paint more on afterwards it will make it darker

18. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Well that answers another question because I had already wondered about using tea to stain the wood - I've seen tea used to color other items, but I wouldn't have thought about adding the vinegar. Very cool indeed.

19. MountainStorm

MountainStorm Termite

You know a lot of secrets BigH. The interlocking swirling grain on that piece is strong and beautiful.

20. BeMahoney

BeMahoney Builder of things

happy

best thing:

your slingshots make me happy too!

Greetings,

Be