"Rambow" next evo step

Discussion in 'Show off your homemades!' started by JoergS, Dec 23, 2013.

1. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

OK, here is the next prototype. Quick and dirty still, but a bit more elaborate than the first experimental test setup.

It is a full frame rather than an add-on now. This allowed me to lower the forks a full 2 cm, in fact this is the lowest possible position of a whisker biscuit over the fist. The handle is a full blown Rambone (what else).

I also deepened the tunnel to the full 54 mm (3 layers of 18mm multiplex). The two layers of the last iteration still sometimes allowed the string to touch the bristles of the whisker biscuit, now that won't happen anymore.

This is now getting really good. While it looks top heavy, it is really not - the ring is mostly hollow. The low fork will allow me to go up in rubber power, probably shoot 55 lb bands. That should make this baby quite acceptable, for a slingbow.

Accuracy is really good, which is probably due to the clean arrow release. The long "tunnel" does a good job in that regard.

What do you guys think?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Wow, quick evolution of design. This has quickly moved into a very nice design. I'm surprised to see the next step available so quickly. I really like this next step. Really cool. I would say it looks better than any commercially available slingbow I've seen. This will definitely stand out against the competition. Now band it up and shoot it!

3. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

Very quick turnaround! Agree with Withak, its easily better looking than any commercially avaliable slingbow around at the moment. The TTF setup looks great too. The handle ergonomics dont seem to have changed at all either which is a really good thing, the Rambone is incredibly comfortable and nice to handle after all.

The first picture does remind me of this crossbow-toting cartoon charactor though!

[​IMG]

4. AngelicScars

AngelicScars MILF of the board

5. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

Shot it already a bit today, works really great. Will max out the bands tomorrow and see how much power I can squeeze out of this baby.

In terms of ergonomics I see little room for enhancement. I still want to optimize the way how the biscuit is attached. The screws work, but that is not a professional looking method, and also I want to support the cheapo Chinese models too.

6. 4foruglenncoco

4foruglenncoco Member

I love it, to bad u won't sell them in multiplex models

7. kohlqez

kohlqez Accident-Prone

Looks awesome, would the version you sell include arrows?

8. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

Well, it takes me several hours to make one out of multiplex. It'd simply be too expensive. We have a minimum wage in Germany now, it's the law, you know :)

BTW the winner of the Chronos slingshot is Rutilus64 - if he claims it until Jan. 1st. Otherwise ebay will bring in some money for the next forum meeting :)

9. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

lol!

10. Courier

Courier Senior Member

Great results!

I wonder when it will be sold in the SSC-store. ;)

11. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

I found myself thinking about that very question. I was picturing a piece of steel or aluminum forming a semi-circle channel on the front of the slingshot that would allow you to 'drop' the whisker biscuit in place, then just have a retention screw or latch at the top - very fast and easy replacement. I searched the web to find something like what I'm imagining, and I found this drop in camera filter that kind of shows what I was picturing, though in my mind, there would be nothing extending in front of the whisker biscuit but the front of the channel:

[​IMG]

This one is a bit crude, but again, it shows the general idea. Rather than seeing clamping points at 3 positions, I would picture a semicircle channel that you could drop the biscuit in, then retain it with a clip at the top:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That's about the best I could do with a search. If I had some artistic skills, I'd try to draw something up. Perhaps you get the idea from these.

12. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

Withak, I like that idea. A bit like the glasses you have to wear when getting an eye test at the opticians?

[​IMG]

13. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

I found myself thinking about that very question. I was picturing a piece of steel or aluminum forming a semi-circle channel on the front of the slingshot that would allow you to 'drop' the whisker biscuit in place, then just have a retention screw or latch at the top - very fast and easy replacement. I searched the web to find something like what I'm imagining, and I found this drop in camera filter that kind of shows what I was picturing, though in my mind, there would be nothing extending in front of the whisker biscuit but the front of the channel:

[​IMG]

This one is a bit crude, but again, it shows the general idea. Rather than seeing clamping points at 3 positions, I would picture a semicircle channel that you could drop the biscuit in, then retain it with a clip at the top:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That's about the best I could do with a search. If I had some artistic skills, I'd try to draw something up. Perhaps you get the idea from these.

14. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Sorry for the double post folks - my connection to the forum went down and it looked like it didn't post the first time.

15. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Perfect VW! Perhaps we should come up with some slingshot safety glasses along those lines - they are almost Steampunk as it is!

Hmmm, how might a test with these go here....

"Better one layer of TB or two? Better 3 layers or 4? Better 15mm steel or 19mm steel?"

16. JohnKrakatoa

JohnKrakatoa Loudest boom on Earth

Looks very good, Rambone suits a slingbow :)

FInally you announced the winner ! :D Too bad its not me .

17. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

Yes! Imagine one lens with a removable mil-dot crosshair in it, awesome! :)

Congrats to Chronos winner, hope they claim it in time :)

18. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

You mean like these?

[​IMG]

Yep, stick-on crosshair sights for your glasses!

19. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

Something like that yeah. I was thinking maybe having it etched into the glass just like a scope, different magnifications would be easy to do by adding lenses. There are blackout lenses for your non-dominant eye........ah, thats it, Im off to Ebay!

20. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

Have now made a 25 kg (55 lb) band set... four layers of TBG, cut 3,6cm x 2,6cm x 19cm. In other words, one full width of new TBG per side.

There is no way you could possibly draw this band set without a release. A normal pouch, no way, golf tee wouldn't help you one bit.

This throws a mighty arrow, for a slingbow. Will test it a bit more tomorrow, if the Xmas prepping is done (we expect some dear guests).

Attached Files: