Rambone - Polycoated!

Discussion in 'Show off your homemades!' started by JoergS, Oct 20, 2013.

1. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

As you know I received several Rambone samples from the pre production run, amongst them a few made from super solid high glass fibre material. Those are pretty much unbreakable, but they look... ugly. The surface is very rough.

[​IMG]

I tried to polish it, but it does not submit itself to polishing very well. The material is just too uneven.

So... I polycoated it, just like it would be made from wood. Then of course the polishing is well possible!

I am really happy with the outcome. The piece is so glossy black that it looks wet even if bone dry.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

You may say it is a waste of time to polish a piece of plastic, but I actually like it a lot!

2. AngelicScars

AngelicScars MILF of the board

Very nice, I like the look! Very sleek.

3. bigjim

bigjim New Member

It's not a waste of time .
    Looks pretty good !
    :)

4. Brazilviking

Brazilviking Thread Hijacker

My language barrier aways kills me...policoat......is it poliuretan varnish? What is the coat composition exactaly?

5. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

6. Achso_42

Achso_42 Senior Member

7. Lacumo

Lacumo Member

"Like a Steinway" hits the nail on the head. It has the look of that Chinese black lacquered style of finish. Slick finishing job and a nice looking SS.

8. Antraxx

Antraxx #7

Looking really cool!
    But isn´t the rough stock surface better in terms of handling, grip?
    If you have sweatty fingers for example?

9. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

The shape of the handle is so ergonomic that you don't need a rough handle... this thing locks itself firmly in your fist.

10. artons

artons New Member

Beautiful!
    It looks even better than the original, it really seems like a japanese laquering example

11. Courier

Courier Senior Member

This is a really beautiful slingshot. A masterpiece!!
    Some would call it legen — wait for it...

12. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Another poster already said it, it looks like the lacquered finish on a fine piano. It turned out really nice. I tend to avoid high gloss finish when I finish my slingshots, but it looks really nice on this pre-production model. I assume the production models will not get the Joerg super-high-gloss finish treatment, right? Perhaps there could be a few 'custom' creations made with that finish ;) I never would have thought about putting spar urethane over a plastic material, but it seems to have worked out just fine.

13. FIAAO

FIAAO Failureisalwaysanoption

Holy ----, that sure is shiny! :)

14. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

Not my decision really, but polishing is expensive as it simply takes a lot of time.

I re-watched "The return of the king" during the sanding and polishing!

15. FIAAO

The return of the king as in the third LOTR-movie?

16. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

17. FIAAO

Respect Joerg! Didn't know you liked those movies! Wouldn't it be great with some LOTR-inspired slingshots now when Hobbit II hits the theatres soon? ;)

18. Achso_42

Achso_42 Senior Member

You just gave me an idea Failure...

19. Moin moin,
    The polish is achieved .... you really can not argue with.

But the form?
    Question is the one to come on the market?
    Why the fork was then not so shaped that you can attach the straps and the sides? Also would probably be cut to the slot by pulling the tubes ..... If you wish to use such.

Thus, the spin is reduced, and is not one to spin the possibilities, for example, one of Flippinout, a possible .... or is a side binding possible? Then ..... Sorry!
    -
    Die Politur ist gelungen.... kann man wirklich nichts gegen sagen.

Aber die Form?
    Frage ist das die, die in den Handel kommen soll?
    Warum wurde die Gabel dann nicht so geformt, das man die Bänder auch Seitlich anbringen kann? Auch müsste wohl der Schlitz zum durchziehen der Tubes gesägt werden..... falls man solche verwenden möchte.

So, ist die Schleuder eingeschränkter, und gibt einem zum Schleudern nicht die möglichkeiten, die z.B. eine von Flippinout, einem ermöglicht.... oder ist eine Seitliche anbindung möglich? Dann Sorry.....!!!
    -

20. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

This is the Rambone design, the latest evolutionary step in the Hammerhead line. Hammerheads are all hammergrip OTT slingshots, not support style TTFs.

A slingshot that is both TTF and OTT is a compromise, and I think a rather bad one. In order to have a safe fork height for TTF, the OTT fork height is usually too high for serious power.

This model doesn't make such compromises. There are lots of perfectly good target shooters on the market. If you want a finger support TTF design, the Scout is a perfectly good product for example.

Regarding the tube holes, the slots are pre-marked just as on the Scout. Lots of people won't be shooting it with tubes, and then the slots are a disadvantage. It takes about five minutes to saw in the slots for those who want them.

Torsten, why are you so aggressively negative lately? Everything OK with you? These are just slingshots, no reason to get upset.