Rambone or scout?

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by Longwei2012, Dec 24, 2013.

1. Longwei2012

Longwei2012 New Member

I am wondering, which one would be more suitable for a beginner? And why?
    I tried looking up this subject but i couldn't find anything comparing these 2 to eachother with their pro's and cons. Maybe is there someone owning them both that can tell which one he/she prefers?

2. Jeremy

Jeremy Senior member who totally rocks a pink Scout! Pink

I have the Scout and absolutely love it. It is suited for a variety of grips and shooting styles. I plan on getting a Rambone also.

My personal suggestions is to get a Scout first, especially if you have not shot a slingshot in a while. The forks are taller and a but more forgiving.

3. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

The Rambone is a very nice slingshot, most people seem to have grown up using a hammergrip on commercial slingshots so its perfect for that. It is quite a large slingshot though, a bit too big for my other halves hand for instance. It locks into and is very secure in your hand though, much less likely to slip than a smaller frame.

You wouldnt regret getting one, and from what Ive read you wouldnt regret a Scout either. So all in all, not a very helpful answer I guess!

4. 4foruglenncoco

4foruglenncoco Member

In my opinion it depends how much farther u want to take using/making slingshots, for example if u want to just get one and not buy/make anymore I would go with the scout because it is very versatile, but if u plan taking farther I would go with the rambone because it is a hammer grip and u can always make/but others, if u have small hands u would also go with the scout and vwscooby said

5. Longwei2012

Longwei2012 New Member

I want both eventually, it's just my budget doesn't allow to get both in one buy. (Holliday broke)
    I think indeed also the scout would be a better choice for a beginner, although the rambone just sounds and looks awesome already. Yep, scout it is.

I wish i had the ability to make my own catapults, i would make a rambone with taller forks. For now i could only make slingshots from y shaped branches :-(

6. Longwei2012

Longwei2012 New Member

Also i wonder, would the rambone be able to be painted with nailpolish? If i get one, after i can get the scout, i've seen some nice painting techniques with nailpolish.
    A little like another technique posted here with paintprint in water and then he dipped a gun's parts in it. You can do the same with nailpolish in water, a lot cheaper you can find it on youtube. But i was just wondering if the material of the rambone would not be damaged.

7. Lacumo

Lacumo Member

1--The Scout is a very versatile frame. Because you can grip it in 3 different ways, it’s likely a better “starter” sling. It’s also best suited to a medium or small hand. I have a Scout, but it doesn’t work quite perfectly for me because my hand is a solid XXL.
    2--Being a hammer grip sling, the Rambone (I’ve got one of those, too) is best when used by a stronger, better muscled hand/wrist/arm. It isn’t something I’d recommend for a starter sling for a person with a smaller/more lightly muscled/less conditioned hand/wrist/arm.
    3--I’m not sure about the advisability of applying nail polish to a Rambone. There might be chemical interaction/solvency issues (?) there. It might be good to get advice from Jeorg or the source you’ll be buying the Rambone from on that point.

Disclaimer: My opinions of the Scout and Rambone are my personal views. No guarantees are made that I know it all or that I’m always right, either...

Closing thought: If you’re like me, you’re going to end up owning both of them in the end (and probably a Pocket Predator HTS as well). I find that I need to taste the different flavors to find out what I like.

8. Flipgun

Flipgun Well-Known Member

The Rambone is a resin and resists Chuck Norris for the most part. I can't see swirl painting with polish doing it any harm.

9. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

I think it mostly depends on your preferred shooting style.

Those who grew up with natural forks usually prefer the thumb+index finger support style, the Scout is ideally suited for this.

Those who never shot slingshots before or used hammer grip (commercial) products are better off with a Rambone.

The Scout can be shot in hammer grip style, and the Rambone can be shot in support style. But neither of the two will be very comfortable to hold that way. The Scout is positioned way to high in hammer grip, and the Rambone's fork is really wide for the support style, forcing thumb and index finger wide apart.

The Rambone can be painted, but nail polish is likely to come off at some point. It is not meant to be permanent after all. I have seen a great paint job done by Tobias (TobseB) a few days ago, he mixed blue color powder with epoxy glue and covered the frame with that mixture - came out great.

10. Moin moin,

So easy you can not really say ....
    The main question is, for what you want to use them? Heavy ammunition, so strong ligaments?
    Carry in your pocket?
    How hold in your hand?
    OTT or TTF
    -
    Otherwise, see you around on youtube, there are already a few posts about it ...

Oh yes, to your hand size, or attitude, you're going to event. still need to adjust .... The Sout rather than the Rambone ....
    Alternative - build yourself ......

-
    So einfach kann man es wirklich nicht sagen....
    Die Hauptfrage ist, für was möchtest du sie einsetzen? Schwere Muni, somit starke Bänder?
    In der Hosentasche mitnehmen?
    Wie in der Hand halten?
    OTT oder TTF
    -

Ach ja, auf deine Handgrösse, oder Haltung, wirst du sie event. noch anpassen müssen.... Die Sout wohl eher, als die Rambone....
    Alternative - selbst bauen ......

Ansonsten sehe dich bei youtube um, es gibt schon ein paar Beiträge darüber...

So wie Jörg es wohl auch schrieb, beide haben etwas.....

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fd0EFPXpMkE[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GTlE_U6DYM[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ax_daPb9xQQ[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fd0EFPXpMkE[/ame]
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8v0bys3bUo[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r38aRda1Tcc[/ame]

usw....

Last edited: Dec 25, 2013
  11. jackate14

jackate14 New Member

+1 on the Scout

I received my Scout about a month ago which is my first slingshot... I am very pleased with my choice after researching for awhile. I had decided on the Scout and actually waited a few extra weeks before buying it when I read the FlipClips were coming out. So I waited and got one with the FlipClips.

I am happy I got the Scout. I love it. I use it with the lanyard wrapped around my wrist a few times and using the thumb and forefinger grip method, and I can pull back some pretty heavy bands with stability, and my accuracy is improving. I am almost always on target, I am just working on my elevation, as I tend to shoot high or low. But that's me being a beginner not the slingshot.

The FlipClips are a big bonus, it makes the Scout very versatile, as a beginner I already have switched between single tubes, double tubes, Single flat bands and double tapered flat bands. The more bandsets you buy the better it is quick and easy to switch so I see it as having more slingshots built into one.

Good luck with whatever you choose. I can't comment on the Rambone but I will probably be buying one in the future, the wide forks look cool.

Jeff

12. ColtSmith

ColtSmith New Member

I have the same problem

13. Longwei2012

Longwei2012 New Member

I've ordered the scout last thursday, with the flipclips. I haven't had a shipping notice yet, but i hope all will be ok. I'm very looking forward to it.

14. Erlkonig

Erlkonig New Member

15. AngelicScars

AngelicScars MILF of the board

The scout is my first and only slingshot at the moment. I use the hammer grip, so the rambone was recommended for me.
    You'll love the scout, I love mine!

16. SimpleShot

SimpleShot Everything Slingshots!

We designed the Scout for both the beginner and seasoned enthusiast. Although it is primarily a fork supported slingshot, the hammer grip is both comfortable and effective for all but heavy bands... and most beginning shooters who prefer the hammergrip style are going to be shooting lighter weight bands anyway. This, combined with the ability to shoot any elastic available- from chained office rubber bands, to flats, to tubes, to looped tubes as well as having the option to shoot through the forks as well as over the top make it very versatile. Add the convenience of the FlipClips and it makes a nearly foolproof slingshot for the beginner to get acquainted with our great sport and hobby.

The Rambone is an absolute pleasure to shoot. The ultra-ergonomic hammergrip simply melts into ones hand and provides for a comfortable and stable purchase on the slingshot... which is very important if one wants to shoot very heavy bands and ammo, which the Rambone excels at. It also makes a fine target shooter and is my personal favorite rig for shooting butterfly style.

Both slingshots are relatively bulky compared to many of todays 'Y' shaped slingshots, but neither is too big for a bug out bag or day satchel and are tiny in comparison to the wire framed brethren of yesteryear.

Let's face it... life is short, slingshots are inexpensive and fun, and he who dies with the most slingshots wins! Go ahead and have your cake and eat it too...

17. Longwei2012

Longwei2012 New Member

Well the scout came in today.
    I feel like smeagol... My precious
    It feels really comfortable in the hand. I was used to shooting with just holding the grip, but now when i hold it with my thumb and finger on the fork, it actually feels right. My fingers aren't slipping down or getting cramps. The weight isn't heavy on the wrist. I think i can learn to shoot properly this way with the scout.
    I have to say the leather pouch is a bit sturdy for my liking, but i'll get used to it and i have some more pouches if i don't. The flip clips are quite easy to apply.
    I can't wait to go outside and practise with my scout... But ofcourse it's raining.
    Please stop raining, rain i hate you so much at this moment.