Rambone fork-hit

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by Walb, Dec 16, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Walb

Walb How did I get here?

This fork-hit I had today on my Multiplex-Rambone had a pretty weird result.

I couldn't find any damage, no dents in the wood, no cracks, so I think it hit the attachement-rubberband. But the back-part came straight off.

Well, after a little trip into the ragemode (because I still can't shoot a slingshot properly :mad: ), I prepared the parts to be glued together again, applied the epoxid-glue-stuff and fastend it with the screw clamp.

Attached Files:

2. JohnKrakatoa

JohnKrakatoa Loudest boom on Earth

Yeah, sry but lol Thx for sharing:):D

3. Achso_42

Achso_42 Senior Member

Did you clean the surface?
    Epoxy is vulnerable to oil.

4. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

I wonder how many palpitations the title of this thread will cause? ;)

5. Lacumo

Lacumo Member

As said above, having clean surfaces for gluing is important. So is having the surfaces slightly scratched or roughed up a bit if they’re glass-smooth (like acrylic or polycarbonate).

Nonetheless… Your story is a happy one because your hand didn’t take the hit and your frame is 100% easily and quickly repairable. That’s as good as it gets.

6. Ravensbull

Ravensbull New Member

This prep..?!

Overkill? Yeah, for just a palm swell but it was an experiment and it probably doubled the surface retention and holds a lot more glue/epoxy in the mating sufaces.

Attached Files:

7. Walb

Walb How did I get here?

I think I didn’t hit my hand because I was wearing a motorbike glove (I'm aware of my lack of skill :) ). Just like it doesn't rain, when you go outside taking an umbrella with you.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Slingshot Forum mobile app

8. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

Wow, some kind of fork hit. You need practice. I recommend paint balls!

Roughening up the plywood surfaces before the gluing is a good idea, too.

9. Antraxx

Antraxx #7

Epoxy is Overkill on Plywood and Epoxy and Clamps never go too well together eighter.
    You should have just used Woodglue on your fist lamination (where the Surface was still free from Epoxy).
    If i had to take a guess it would be you squeezed out too much of the Epoxy and the Shock from the Impact shattered the Slingshot hard enough to seperate the joint.

It´s good that it was repareable tho, and i don´t think any bad things will happen...if it breaks again you can just glue it together again :)

10. 4foruglenncoco

4foruglenncoco Member

I think another reason is that u glued it on the paper side also

11. Walb

Walb How did I get here?

I guess using paintballs is a good idea.
    (Sorry übrigens falls ich dir mit der Überschrift einen Herzinfarkt eingejagt haben sollte ;) )

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Slingshot Forum mobile app