Quicky Natty Catty

Discussion in 'Show off your homemades!' started by Bighaze51, Oct 18, 2013.

1. Bighaze51

Bighaze51 Professional Amateur Dude

I made a quicky natural today. This fork has been in my tool box for a little while. Ive been wanting to do a bark on natty catty for a while so I did this one. I filed all the knots down smooth and sanded lightly through to 1500 grit. It didn't get too aggressive with the 100 grit so as to leave most of the bark but it got fairly smooth and shiny. I rubbed in some BLO and finished off with some beeswax. I'm liking the oil/beeswax combo more and more.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 18, 2013
  2. jakobkurt32

jakobkurt32 Member

Nice one! Looks great with the bark still on!
    It reminds me of my childhood slingshot!! :)

How do you apply the bees wax? After oiling then just rub it on? Or drip it on?
    And then?

3. Bighaze51

Well, like I said, this was just a quicky. So I put on some nitrile gloves and just dipped my finger in the oil and rubbed it in for about five minutes. After a good rub down, I wiped everything off. I have a little bit of beeswax that I bought from the hardware store in and old cupcake pan. I use a little propane torch and slowly heat the bottom unil the wax melts. I fold up a rag and dip it in the wax and rub it in. It ends up being a nice thick coat of wax. Then, just for good measure, I warm the fork up with a hair dryer and rub the was in with my hands. Let it cool off and then a good buffing. I use a t-shirt rag, then a leather polish cloth and then a microfiber cloth. I've only done three so far with the wax but I like the end result. It doesn't stay shiny for long with use but it helps keep the wood fibers smooth. A quick buff with a cloth later on shines it back up. If anyone else has a suggestion to make my proccess better, that would be great! :)
    Here's a pic of the natty in my hand for a size reference. And the scab on my hand is healing nicely. Don't forget to tweak the pouch when shooting a PFS!
    [​IMG]

4. BeMahoney

BeMahoney Builder of things

Oil/Wax "Systems"

Hey guys,

as far as I comprised that topic, Oil is naturally "drawn" into the wood,
    makes it water repellant. The wax, as normally not drawn "into the wood"
    remains on the surface, but has the special property to harden up.
    As long as there´s dullness, there´s still too much wax left there..
    Viscosity may be increased by temperature as well as by a solvent (terpentine,
    benzine- there was sth about polar an unpolar bindigs, I forgot- but either
    Nitro"thinner" or acetone might work too)
    "Hardwaxoil Systems" work in two phases: oil pentrating, wax surfacing, hardening..
    Arturo Borgez reported about an ancient portugese "system" with linseed oil,
    beeswax an I believe Terpentine, which is just like that and pretty down to the basics..

But there´s a whole variety of waxes, oils and resins (resins were used by the chinese first, they invented laquer..)

But I believe you could literally cook a natural fork in Sunflower-seed oil too..
    The first bed I built almost 30 years ago was only treated with sunflower oil.
    Some protection for the wood, and most of the character, the "haptics"
    remained unchanged..

I believe it´s sad to fully cover wood under a rather thick layer of e.g.
    Polyurethane- touching that means touching plastics.. (although the
    "warmth" of wood remains when touched..)

But anyway: that´s a nice "quick" work you did, still will last pretty long!

Greetings,

Be

Last edited: Oct 18, 2013
  5. Bighaze51

That's very informative. Thanks!!

6. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

Very nice shooter! Looks great!
    Man, looks like you took one hell of a bad hand-hit...:eek:

7. Bighaze51

Thanks, Will. Actually it was more like 4'hits over a weeks time. I had a few off days. I got it figured out now. :)

8. Jeremy

Jeremy Senior member who totally rocks a pink Scout! Pink

9. FIAAO

FIAAO Failureisalwaysanoption

Nice work! I like the classic look :)

Last edited: Oct 19, 2013
  10. jakobkurt32

jakobkurt32 Member

Berry informative info ;)
    Thanks! Now have got something to play around with.
    I also like holding the wood and not a plastic coating and
    I thinks oils will always better bring out the best of the woods grain!!!!
    I'll try bees wax from a beeswax candle and see
    How it goes.