Quick (possibly stupid!) question about bands

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by VWscooby, Dec 23, 2013.

1. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

Just wanted to ask a quick question about band attachment. Im sure its probably been asked before but I couldn't find anything on a search.

Basically I use Joergs band calculator when cutting bands but when I attach them I fold them in half over the fork tips. Mainly to keep them looking neater and (in my head at least) it stops pressure in specific areas if the bands are wider than the forks.

So, the question is does folding the bands in half affect the way the bands behave? Rather than one wide band does it behave like two narrower ones? Does it not matter because its the same amount of rubber no matter what? Is it a stupid question and should I shut up and go and have a mince pie?

:)

2. Brazilviking

Brazilviking Thread Hijacker

Doesn't seem stupid for me....but I don't have the answer!

3. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

I don't know the answer from a technical perspective, but I can say that I've done it both ways with the same band set - particularly if I have narrow fork tips to mount upon. I have noticed no difference myself - the pull, power and speed all seem to be the same regardless. I wonder if Joerg hasn't looked closely at this - perhaps he will catch this thread and weigh in. I find there are few slingshot related questions he hasn't answered somewhere before. Did you try searching on his blog by any chance?

4. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

Yup, had a search of the blog but didnt see anything. Doesnt mean there isnt something there, just that I couldnt find it!

5. dolomite

dolomite Banned

Scoobs, I do this nearly exclusively, It has no ill effects. I find no difference between two narrow bands or one wide folded in half. if anything, it's easier to tie on.

6. Achso_42

Achso_42 Senior Member

The only thing I noticed is that folded bands seem to be a little bit louder.

Apart from that I don't know any bad effects.

7. Ravensbull

Ravensbull New Member

No pro here either, but I do remember Flatband saying in a video of his while reviewing that new Milbro wrist brace I believe. He had said he always folds with wider bands by preference and always has since it worked well for him. I believe with the folded free edges to the outside of the forks/fold edge inside fork. But now there is folding both edges to center with the fold pleats facing target. It was on pfs awhile back and I'm slightly embarrassed I can't recall who? If someone finds it, putting a link here would probably be nice if possible. I remember somewhere too that, the same wider straight cut or taper single, cut even into two, will gain a bit of speed because of how they must roll through the fold kinks as a folded single. And also, someone had noted somewhere that if you want to optimize band life, the folded or flat mounted single. The same band split double, will tear quicker for obvious reasons. We all know speed kills bands... Just my thoughts on it. Who has the chronograph and time to test? Anyone here ever try the Chrono Connect app at all?

Last edited: Dec 23, 2013
  8. Ravensbull

Ravensbull New Member

One more concept is that it seems real illogical that a single fold in half would function correctly on an OTF/TTF frame. But the double fold to center, tied out facing target, may help spring the following rubber up over and down and around the bottom fork for maybe less band shuffling or pouch interference. Got my gears turning on this now Scoob!

9. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

Maybe Im not the only who thinks of these things then! If I had a suitable chrony I would do a test. Like everyone says I dont think it has any negative effects but with so many other things affecting band performance (taper, heat, time drawn etc) I just wondered about this too.

10. Ravensbull

Ravensbull New Member

There is a man here with the definitive answer, hopefully he'll chime in if he has time.

11. dolomite

dolomite Banned

I forgot to mention to put the cut sides out and the folded side in. fold side out seemed to interfere with the pouch during release.

12. Arturo Borquez

Arturo Borquez Administrator

folded bands (same as wide bands) has more "aerodynamic" drag, that's why are louder ... should be in theory a bit slower, maybe not noticeable by the shooter ...
    cheers