Quick 'n Dirty Rambone Slingbow Adaptor

Discussion in 'Show off your homemades!' started by JoergS, Dec 22, 2013.

1. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

OK, in order to get started with the work on a mass production Rambone slingbow model, I first wanted to convert a Rambone so it can take a whisker biscuit.

I simply used a piece of multiplex (what else) and cut it so that I could attach it behind the forks, by means of two screws that fit through two holes I drilled through the fork arms.

The whisker biscuit was mounted exactly in a position so the arrow is level with the bands.

I also added a distance ring so that the string does not follow the arrow through the whisker biscuit, as would normally happen.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It works pretty good.

But you can see that it DOES make sense to design a dedicated slingbow that is NOT a convertible. Here are my arguments.

- A slingbow needs much shorter bands, as the draw length is limited by the arrow length. Even long arrows are just 32". So you'd have to exchange the bands anyway, or live with a ridiculously short draw length when you shoot balls (and use a pouch for arrows, very awkward).

- As you can see in the images, the fork COULD be almost a full inch lower and still the whisker biscuit would not touch the hand. This would reduce the wrist strain by a great deal. A normal slingshot with a fork THAT low would be unsaleable as people would be afraid to hit their hand, but with arrows that go through a biscuit, they will be fine. This will allow people to achieve MUCH better accuracy with strong bands.

Note that I use paracord as a string, but I also use a bit of Dracon to stabilize it in the middle. That is very helpful as the arrows nock so much better. Just a short piece of Dracon is enough, it makes a huge difference.

Next step, a full prototype with a lower fork.

2. JohnKrakatoa

JohnKrakatoa Loudest boom on Earth

with this setup you have to painstakingly stick each arrow into the whisker... thats not good for fast shooting isnt it? but look good.

3. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

Takes about 0.1 seconds to put the arrow through the hole. Nocking the arrow takes the longest as always.

4. Obl1v1Aus

Obl1v1Aus Meh!

As it's a prototype speed doesn't matter, a working concept does. Once it works you look to make it faster.

5. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

Like Joerg said I think the nocking would take longer than locating the arrow in the biscuit but if that is a concern it would be easy to cut a vertical slot down through the mount and whisker biscuit to drop the arrows into, similar to this:

[​IMG]

But prototypes are prototypes for a reason!

Last edited: Dec 22, 2013
  6. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

Also this whisker biscuit type is the closed one. For most hunters, there is only one shot anyway. The game is too fast for a second shot.

7. JohnKrakatoa

JohnKrakatoa Loudest boom on Earth

True, didnt think of the hunting aspect :D But I think the whisker Scooby showed would be better.

PS: Joerg if you shoot a video of you putting an arrow 10 times in the closed whisker and out of it and into a position where you would draw it out from (on waist/leg/back) in under 10 seconds i will....i dunno what...:D Be impressed :D 0,1 second is a bit exaggerated isnt it ? :D

8. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

Well, you have to compare it to a normal arrow rest, right? Doesn't take that much longer to push the arrow through that generous hole in comparison. Most of the time is lost for grabbing it from the quiver and getting it aligned, plus of course the nocking. If you use a release, then getting that thing ready takes time too.

9. kohlqez

kohlqez Accident-Prone

That's pretty much exactly what I had in mind! I guess great minds think like the rest of us sometimes

10. Ravensbull

Ravensbull New Member

Quick n dirty Ramboned whisker biscuit?! Oooh, the gutter mind this morning...:D
    Good stuff as always but it don't look all that dirty... Looks like it's a really solid setup and with the back of the biscuit frame stopping the bands, I would guess it's a lot cleaner release also.

11. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

I like this mockup. Pushing the whisker biscuit up front and providing protection from the bands is a good idea and will extend the life of the whisker biscuit. Looking forward to the next revisions.

12. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

I have already sketched the outlines of a new prototype...

The fork is a full 2 cm lower than the Rambone's original fork.

Of course this one only shoots arrows.

Attached Files:

13. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

That will look very cool plastic moulded into a single piece. Form AND function :)

14. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

I like that new sketch. Very cool.

15. CJC

CJC BIG ELK HUNTER

This is a great idea!

16. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

Will be a multiplex prototype by tomorrow.

17. 4foruglenncoco

4foruglenncoco Member

Really nice, it looks like the one by cosmaus Bauer

18. Ravensbull

Ravensbull New Member

Can't wait to see the multiplex of the new pattern, looks great.

19. Schultz

Schultz New Member

You say you want to make the best Slingbow, but in Germany it´s not allowed to Hunt Big Game with them. And in other Countrys you can take Slingbows with arm brace and also with removable Forks and whisker biscuit, so that you can also hunt Birds with the same Slingshot.
    When only the Biscuit is removeble maybe not with the Full Power but I´am sure that they are strong enough to kill a Bird.
    With the Release its also a bit to much to carry for my Taste, especially when you also want to hunt small Games so that you need 2 Slingshots and also a Release.
    And I think about a Open and Close release are more then 1 sek different, you have to aim the front from the Arrow through the Hole, and with a open Release you can easy put the middle from the Arrow on the Top, also with your eyes on the Target. And the next Question for me is how long the Biscuit survived when its fixed.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2013
  20. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

Schultz, of course there is no universal "best" product. There is no "best" car and no "best" slingshot.

It all comes down to the job and the approach.

But if a product has no significant advantages at all over the competitors that are on the market already, it will fail, and rightfully so.

I want to bring out a very affordable whisker biscuit equipped hammer grip slingshot with great ergonomics. I want it to have the lowest possible fork, of course with the arrow perfectly level with the center of the band force.

As always I want my product to be as powerful as possible, which means there is NO WAY around a release and string instead of a pouch.

I don't care if it is legal or not to hunt with it. I personally don't hunt at all, simply because I don't have the patience. Hunting bows sell quite well in Germany even though nobody is allowed to use them for hunting. Obviously people just do target shooting with them and enjoy the concept anyway. So be it.

Right now there is no true no compromises slingbow on the market. Everybody wants to bring out the same lame fold away stuff. That is not what I want to do. My product will be small, but not too small, it will be powerful, accurate, sturdy and well made. Plus, as always, very affordable.