Questions of a Newbie who just wants to have fun!

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by AttilaTheFun, Aug 27, 2013.

1. AttilaTheFun

AttilaTheFun New Member

Hey everybody!

First of all i just want to say Hello to everyone!

Few days ago while i was walking the dogs with my girlfriend i found a piece of wood which seemed to be a perfect material for a slingshot. When i was a little child we made slingshots like... always, and we used all kinds of rubber (Like office rubber, Inner tube of a bicycle tire, tubes used by winemakers... etc) it was fun but it was of course totally harmless. When i was looking for something to use as rubber i remembers "Yea there's that German guy who makes those [email protected]$$ slingshots lets check it"..

And there starts a kind of a long story, after checking like all of Joerg's videos and reading about 13 pages of topics in the forums, my girlfriend woke up and told me i had a face of a maniac and it was almost 4am so i should sleep :D But i still have some question... well i don't want just answers, but more like advises.

I ordered some TBB but until it arrives i'd like to get the knowledge i can.
    What do i want?
    - Have a slingshot that can shoot small rocks (nice round ones from a nearby river around 10-15mm in diameter) with a nice speed.
    - To keep the bands as long as i get while still keeping the speed
    - I do not want to hunt with it or anything (well there are some idiots racing motorbikes around midnight it's illegal and very annoying but.. nooo that's dangerous :D) so it doesn't have to be superstrong but it'd be still nice to split apples or some demonstration like that:D)

So here are my question.
    - I read i should have the fork a bit higher for shooting rocks, Check.

- What fork-width do you recommend?

- I used the TBG calculator it is great but it is not exclusively perfect for my newbie brain (Its for TBG, its for Marbles/Steel/Lead). Please help me on that matter.
    - I plan using it for now with "Cheek Anchor", Butterfly is way too... "Ouch i dont want to hit my face with it" for me for now:D So my Draw-length is 80cm.

- Again, i plan using rocks around 10-15mm diameter.

- I'd like to focus on long-life, not brutal power, yet keep a nice speed.

So when using the calculator, i choose 3 for for tapering and band-stretching aswell. Its almost the "most band life" Will i be able to shoot with a nice speed? (I choose marble, i think that's the closest to round river rocks)

I got the results as:
    <table><tbody><tr><td>
    </td><td colspan="3">Cut the bands 25.1 cm long.
    </td></tr><tr><td>
    </td><td colspan="3">Band width at the fork is 3.12 cm.
    </td></tr><tr><td>
    </td><td colspan="3">Band width at the pouch is 2.26 cm.
    </td></tr><tr><td>
    </td><td colspan="3">You need 1 bands per side.
    </td></tr></tbody></table>
    This is nice but it is for TBG and i plan using TBB so please, could someone adjust the numbers to fit TBB?

Sorry for the wall-of-text, i know i could find the answers but i was browsing for hours and hours yet these got unanswered. Please help me so i cant start on the road!

Thank you very much guys! ( Sorry for my english:D)

Attila the Fun

2. xXdoomXx

xXdoomXx Junior threadjacker ag. J

Welcome to the forum I normally make my bands around the 20 cm and I also shoot rocks. I do not know much but yeah I think it is better to have wider forks because of fork hits. I have never used tbb soi do not not know much :confused::p more o the better people could answer you though.

Welcome aboard and have fun ;)

J

3. Maulwurfsurfer

Maulwurfsurfer Junior Member

Hi and welcome.
    I'm not a pro either but i know there is a band calculator ("Schleuder Bandrechner by Tobse") where on the right side are the different kinds of theraband listed with its thickness of rubber. and on the left side is a spot where u just change the numbers so that you got yours in the calculation.
    About the forks... they don't need to be any wider in my opinion. (since your rocks are not any bigger than others steal ammo) More important i think is a big pouch.

show us what u did end up with ;)

4. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

Hello! Welcome to the forum and welcome back to slingshots!
    I actually haven't shot a rock since I had an accident as a kid. However, I think the most important thing is to pick a nice, solid design for your shooter. There are some great drawings from members, located in the 'blueprint' section.
    Oh, and one more thing. Make sure to share your finished work with us, and above all, have fun!

5. LW

LW New Member

Hy Atila,

I do not know if I can help you. But your questions are very specific and on the other side to General (hard to understand this combination...:D)
    It is not easy to give ONE valid answer to it.

First of all I can say is that shooting stones is not a good idea for a beginner.

Even if I can understand that you don’t want to buy marbles or steel balls, but for serious shooting there is no alternative.
    There are a few people out there, who can shoot well with stones, but they shoot for 10 years and more, and also there are not many.
    You can shoot with almost any stone, but you will not hit the targets that you imagine.
    Shooting to a tree 20 diameter from about 10 meters is possible, but further away from everything will be just a lucky shot. Or maybe you have found a Perfect Stone, then you have had luck.
    What I want to say is, the risk of destroying your slingshot or to shoot on the finger or hand is simply too big. (for a beginner)
    It also does not fit together - when shooting stones, you are shooting rarely, perhaps out in the woods or on the field. But shooting rarely and shooting stones is not a good combination.:rolleyes:

High forks or low forks, what can I say...

High Forks are always better for a beginner, but what's good for you? It is difficult to answer this.
    I would recommend slingshots with hammer grip handle (No Moorhammer to start with) but a Phoenix, a six cirkles or Howitzer with HIGHER forks are maybe the right way to start with.

Band dimensions…
    Ok you find some Band calculators, that’s fine and for beginners always useful. But I am sure that most shooters have their own Band dimensions, so no one here will tell you “cut it 26 cm / Fork 25 mm / Pouch 15 mm and you will get what you want.
    The combination of draw weight/ draw length and very important a good feeling when shooting is different to everyone.
    So you goanna use TBB, for shooting 10-15 mm Stones you have to use double bands on each side. (Something between 20 mm and 25 mm) There is no need to taper the bands at the beginning especially with double TBB. And cutting TB is also not as easy as it looks for most guys.
    If you want tapering, then a size ratio 2/3 is quite good for your bands. A length from about 20 cm should be enough for 80 cm draw length. You could easily shorten the bands at the forks, without cutting them if you like.

Maybe I have helped you a little, but maybe just confused you, anyway - have fun while shooting and safety first.

6. AttilaTheFun

AttilaTheFun New Member

Oh wow... So many answers! Thank you guys! :)

Well, after reading all the replies, i pretty much got the answers, and as always even more came to my mind :D For now I'll wait until i try it out, and then i'll ask away.

About the design... well i made some photos and i was just about to upload them but now... I don't really want to. I mean it's not made after a design i found here or there, its just a wooden fork ( :D ) and I'm afraid I'll get replies like "Man, that's dangerous, don't use that!" or something like that (Which is of course the best reply if it is the case, if I'd be a pro and I saw a dangerous "design" I'd tell the owner not to use it even if he wants so much (That's kind of a responsibility thing i suppose))

The best i can do is wear safety goggles and my sturdy safety gloves when i try it (I wear safety goggles for like everything, i need my eyes as good as i can, for my job. Making electrodes for Blood-analyser is tricky, using microscope for assembly and such things:D it won't work with bad sight)

Anyways:
    I'm looking for Linseed oil now and waiting for my TBB to arrive.
    I had Extreme amount of fun working with that fork so far. I'm really in need of tools (i live in a flat, not a house sadly, but we have a small room with good lighting i can use for "workshop") but we have a Rotary tool i bought for my girlfriend for egg engraving and stuff like that. After playing around trying to find the right bit for each part, it was quite easy to work with. Of course i can't cut out big chunks of wood but it worked out great (Like carving wax with a hot knife:D) I never really worked with wood before, and i'm not an artistic type, it was fun learning for me so far. I just realized after using fine sanding paper, i shouldve oiled it before fine sanding but... whatever, this is just a "First Slingshot Project" i don't need an immortal, epic slingshot. :)

Once it's done and i'm alive after the first try, i'll upload some pics. It's is kinda crappy looking but for me the point for now is to have a slingshot that works for playing around. It is strong (i grabbed one fork-arm my girlfriend grabbed the other, we started to pull as much as we could, the fork won), it only had a few tiny cracks.

Sooo thanks everyone for the helpful answers i'll keep you guys updated as much as i can!

Sorry for wall-of-text again :)

Attila the Fun

Last edited: Aug 27, 2013
  7. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Regarding shooting stones, I've been practicing with different types of ammo - steel shot, marbles, paint balls, small rocks/stones and some decorative glass stones that are flat on one side and round on the others. By far, the rounder shot like steel and marbles fly far better than the ammo that isn't round. I will say this though, in shooting the glass stones, they do make an interesting buzzing/zipping sound as they fly through the air on a very unpredictable course! I did shoot some small stones I found in my yard, probably about the same size as yours, and managed to make multiple hits (with penetration) on a 1/2 gallon (2 liter) milk jug from about 25 feet (~ 7 meters).

8. dolomite

dolomite Banned

Attila, first thing-welcome to the loonie bin, from your post you seem a bit of a nutter, you'll fit in fine! On to tbb, I believe you can use the tbg calculator but multiply by 1.3, I use tbb nearly exclusively as I shoot marbles. if using stones, get the roundest ones and be happy if you hit within a foot of intent. above all else, ask-post pics-have fun!

9. AttilaTheFun

AttilaTheFun New Member

My main concern with shooting anything but pebbles is this:
    -I plan on taking the dog for long walks in the forest with my girlfriend and i don't want to leave marbles everywhere (especially not steel and lead balls.) Shooting trees and makeshift targets with rocks is perfect for me as long as i can hit some targets big as around 40cmX40cm from 10-12 meters.
    Later of course i plan on using a catchbox and rip through some tin cans and bottles and things like that with steel balls and a serious slingshot but... for now I'll be fine.

10. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

I wouldn't worry too much about leaving steel balls around the woods. They aren't toxic like lead and they will rust away pretty quickly, unlike glass which will be around forever. Maybe shooting paintballs would be a good compromise, since they are biodegradable and if you choose white ones, people will just think its bird crap:D

11. AttilaTheFun

AttilaTheFun New Member

Finally!
    Today my TBB arrived so i could finally make my first bandset, and try my first Slingshot!
    When i saw how thin the band was and how easy it was to stretch it, i kind of got suspicious about the strength. I used 2X20cm bands 2 per side. For pouch i used inner tube (saw it in other thread, sanded the inside a bit as well, it got a leather-ish surface)

When I tried it first i was surprised in the most positive way :) I sure couldn't hit a fly from a hundred meters but i was surprised how accurate it was with the rounder pebbles. (Found some pieces of old tiles, it made an interesting, strange zipping sound as it turned in the air in strange ways or it did corkscrew)

I had lots of fun, shot about 100 times and so far it works like a charm even though my left hand is red due to all the handslaps :D (i kinda worked out how not to be hit by the pouch).

And as i promised here are some pictures.
    Alas, the Craptastic 4000 :D I know, its bad its not a design, the forks are probably too high and the wood is probably not the best but... its my first sling shot and i love it :D

http://imageshack.us/f/706/4pgn.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/f/853/qjtx.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/f/62/lx08.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/f/716/izbe.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/f/706/n4ch.jpg/
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 31, 2013
  12. dolomite

dolomite Banned

forks are a bit high and wide for my taste but I doubt you'll get many fork hits. pretty decent first slingy, tbb is good for light stuff like pebbles.

13. Brazilviking

Brazilviking Thread Hijacker

Big stones may overuse the bands. Make sure to shoot something with less than 2cm.:D

14. AttilaTheFun

AttilaTheFun New Member

Yea the plan was using pebbles around 15 cm at max in dimensions, it worked out great :) After the first shot i blinked, didn't see the stone, looked at my girlfriend "Do you think it went backwards?" Then we heard a faint knock on a tree from about 30-40 meters :D Later my eyes got used to follow the pebbles and it shoots them quite well. I'm satisfied with the results for now.

15. Slagskimmer Mike

Slagskimmer Mike thinks TBG smells better than roses

Looks real nice all banded up.

I got lots of handslaps and fork hits before I learned the turn and tweak method of holding the pouch.
    This is where you twist the pouch 90°, so your pouch thumbnail faces the same direction as the V of the forks. Then when you lift your index finger the ammo hops over the thumb and has a better trajectory.

It felt weird and a bit scary at first, but when i got it down it is so much better.

Have fun and stay safe:)

16. Brazilviking

Brazilviking Thread Hijacker

Nice!! But I think you meant 15 mm, not cm....otherwise you just built a weapon of massive destruction!:D

17. AttilaTheFun

AttilaTheFun New Member

Thanks i'll try that, soon we take the dog for a walk (flaw of living in a flat, walking the dog 3 times a day) i'll have the opportunity to try it! :)

LOL! Shooting 15 cm pebbles would be quite a scary experiment for first slingshot :D Of course i mean 15 mm.

18. dolomite

dolomite Banned

slagskimmer is right about "tweakin", it's the dogs bollocks;). you won't have fork hits unless learning pfs but you won't have that problem cause I think I remember you don't pfs.

19. AttilaTheFun

AttilaTheFun New Member

Hey I'm back with more idiotic questions for you guys! :D

Sooo where to start. Last weekend i was at my girlfriend's parent's place and i was shooting. Made a makeshift target (The target itself was a plastic sour cream "cup" (or whatever is that called:D)) around 10 cm wide and 15 cm high on a stake and stretched an old bed-sheet behind it so it'll catch the stones and i wont have to pay for the neighbor's windows :D) I started shooting from 10m and I shot around 150-200 times (that makes the total count to around 300-400) and my aim got a bit better. It is everything but not natural for me. I mean most of the shots went to almost the same spot but it wasn't the spot i was aiming for. Not far from the end one of my bands (2X2 TBB 2cmX20cm) started to tear at the pouch so i cut of a bit and just went on:)

Anyways... for the questions.
    - I use a bicycle to get to work and it kinda became dangerous since i tend to look always to my right to check the cut branches, which one would be good for a slingshot:D I got thinking. Why do we need it to be a fork? Does it matter? Its just because you don't have to work your brains off with a big piece of wood or the structure of the branch (it is called branch right?:confused: ) actually matters?

- That leads to my next question. When i was shooting. I noticed some branches on the ground that my Girlfriend's Father cut and left them there. They are ... i think it's called Hackberry (Celtis occidentalis) and i think its VERY VERY hard. We cut branches of that tree already(we have to do that every year... its kinda impossible to kill and it grew into the fence, i started to like that tree its like "No way! I'll stay right here!") we were having a very hard time, it almost killed a smaller, weaker chainsaw. But when i checked it on the internet i read on some pages it is soft... now im confused. It is soft someways and i shouldn't use it?

As always thanks for your answers and sorry for my English:D!

Attila

20. Jeremy

Jeremy Senior member who totally rocks a pink Scout! Pink

That is a great looking natural slingshot.

I may have to look for a natural fork to make my own now.