questions from a newcomer

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by Werdna8, Mar 28, 2012.

1. Werdna8

Werdna8 New Member

1. When making a bullpup with a pully (106cm/42in) is regular spruce or pine plywood okay or do you need hardwood plywood? <br><br>2. Does anyone know how to stain wood with ink like Jorg did? <br><br>3. Microwaving slingshots... why, how, and can it hurt the microwave. <br><br>4. Is a constrictor knot the same thing as a clove hitch? <br><br>5. Using a pressure cooker to force glue into a sling shot... how much heat, how to replace the pressure valve with a tire valve, danger of a presure bomb? <br><br>6. Methods of attaching bands to a frame other then over the top and how? <br><br>7. How to attach tubes to a fork? <br><br>I know these answers are out there I just cant seem to find them or when I do it seems to be a tips and tricks among those already familiar with the basics.<br><br>In the bands vs tubes department based on Jorg's video with the thermal camera due to the tubes being thicker would they lose heat slower then bands thus retaining better preformance in cold weather or on a sling X bow where they remain stretched longer then on a traditonal slingshot.<br><br>edited thanks

2. onnod

onnod Im from Holland, isnt that weird?

interesting questions<br>for the bullpup i think it would be better to use multiplex and yes there are a lot of ways to attach bands (sideways, clamped on etc..)

3. Werdna8

Werdna8 New Member

I'm not familiar with the term multiplex. I figured that it is what I know as plywood. Is mulitplex a brand or is it plywood made from oak or birch? I saw some bamboo plywood online it looked really cool. I would love to make something from it but i have to wait it is too expensive.

4. onnod

onnod Im from Holland, isnt that weird?

i think it is the same

5. pelleteer

pelleteer Middle Aged Delinquent

I'm not sure if Multiplex is a trade name or what, but it's a hardwood laminate, I think birch. It's what we'd call furniture grade plywood here in the US. If you've ever been into a Chipotle restaurant, it's what they make all their chairs and tables out of. It's of dramatically higher quality than the typical constuction type ply you find in hardware stores. Don't know about in Europe, but it is fairly pricey here.

6. ketansa

ketansa New Member

<table width="90%" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="0" border="0" align="center">
    <tr><td><span class="genmed"><b>Werdna8 wrote:</b></span></td></tr>
    <tr><td class="quote">When making a bullpup with a pully (106cm/42in) is regular spruce or pine plywood okay or do you need hardwood plywood? Does anyone know how to stain wood with ink like Jorg did? Microwaving slingshots... why, how, and can it hurt the microwave. Is a constrictor knot the same thing as a clove hitch? Using a pressure cooker to force glue into a sling shot... how much heat, how to replace the pressure valve with a tire valve, danger of a presure bomb? Methods of attaching bands to a frame other then over the top? How to attach tubes to a frame? I know these answers are out there I just cant seem to find them or when I do it seems to be a tips and tricks among those already familiar with the basics.<br><br>In the bands vs tubes department based on Jorg's video with the thermal camera due to the tubes being thicker would they lose heat slower then bands thus retaining better preformance in cold weather or on a sling X bow where they remain stretched longer then on a traditonal slingshot.</td></tr>
    </table>
    <span class="postbody"><br><br>If you had written these questions properly with time with numbers. they would have been in notice well.</span>

7. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

Multiplex is indeed a high quality brand of birch plywood. Is has few to none voids in it, and yes, it is pricey. 20 Euros (35 dollars or so) for a square meter (9 sq ft) is common for the 14 mm type I used for the bullpup.<br><br>You can use other wood types, no problem as long as it is solid and unwarped. The stock is mighty thick, no danger here.<br><br>Tubular bands loose the temp slower, but they also pick it up slower. In cold weather, you simply have to use more rubber in order to compensate for the temperature related loss of draw weight. Still the performance is better in warm temps. <br><br>Microwaving won't damage the oven as long as you don't burn the frame. Means, go slow. A minute of 600 W at a time, then 10 minutes cooling. No more than five circles. As soon as no more steam comes out of the frame at the end of a waving session, stop anyway.<br><br>Staining wood with ink is simple. Use a brush and apply the ink. Use car polish and a cotton rag to remove the superflous ink after it is dry. Seal with oil or polyurethane.<br><br>Use document grade ink (the type that is hard to wash off your fingers).

8. Werdna8

Werdna8 New Member

Thanks everyone for your answers. Now I feel I can get to work on the bullpup but I proably wont be staining it with ink purple is hard to find by itself.