Question about varnish

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by tokSick, Oct 14, 2013.

1. tokSick

tokSick Senior Member

Hi guyz & galz,
    My question is not about how to aply varnish, polishing it and so on. I want to know if i can use it on aluminium. I have two unfinished shooters with aluminium cores/ pins and i will use yacht varnish. Can i brush the varnish all over or do i have to be careful and stay on the wood with my brush? [​IMG]
    Here is the picture of the varnish coat contest winnerzzz!
    [​IMG]

Thanks in advance for the answers. :)

2. EyAlter

EyAlter New Member

I know from when I was painting wooden masts on boats that we always had to take off the metal parts. The Varnish in our case was always a golden colour and left a golden layer on the metal too. You could add a bit of varnish to a scrap piece and have a look. I would only use oil or a 2 component non tinted clear coat.

3. Brazilviking

Brazilviking Thread Hijacker

Joerg has made a tutorial about poli coating... I just can't find it right now!
    I usually mix the varnish with the solvent in equal proportions for the first layer. It raises the "hair" of hhe wood, and you sand it again. And you use more varnish with less and less sovent each time sanding with 600 grit. 4 to 6 layers to perfection!

4. tokSick

tokSick Senior Member

I saw Joerg' s tuto( nice one) but i don' t know if the varnish will stick to the aluminium or not. About the color, i don' t really care if it changes. will the varnish old on the alum like it does on wood?

5. Ryan Wigglesworth

Ryan Wigglesworth Senior Member

Omg what are those monstrosities>??

6. Flipgun

Flipgun Well-Known Member

@tokSick First, Damned Good Lookin' shooters! Second, I think that the varnish will dry over the Alu as amberish. You might try on a scrap piece first. I know that if I am spray painting I will give things I don't want painted a lite coat of vasoline. after it dries, that part just wipes off. But don't risk those beauties on my say so. Good Luck!

7. tokSick

tokSick Senior Member

I just tryed on one side of a slingshot and waiting for it dry. If it is not good i' ll just have to sand it. Thanks for the advises Flip. ;)

8. Ryan Wigglesworth

these are epic slingshots man. epic.

9. BeMahoney

BeMahoney Builder of things

Respect?

tokSick, did you drink that stuff? are you silly?

Listen: You CANNOT POST SLINGSHOTS LIKE THAT, EXPECTING ANY FORM
    OF SERIOUS ANSWER!!! this is ridiculous. Did you see Selma Hayek dance in
    from Dusk til Dawn? Try to give away diamonds as a present while that scene´s
    running.

NOBODY CARES!- Same here.

Delete those pics, then we can talk!

Man! those are bugged people around here!- How dare you?
    Getting everyone into trouble like that? Behave!

Be (wanna) have! ;)

10. Ryan Wigglesworth

^ hes right. i have never laid eyes on such a slingshot before. :eek:

11. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

I don't have enough experience to say one way or the other, so I'll wait to see your results. Aside from that, those are some very nice slingshots. Unique designs, I like the mix of wood and metal. I'll bet they're nice to hold. Let us know when you band them up. From the look of them, they'd probably handle 4 layers of TBG?

12. BeMahoney

BeMahoney Builder of things

that´s what I was about..
    he can´t see clearly!- it is 24!
    on each side

(just for the fun- pardon me.. :) )

13. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

The "yacht" polyurethane I use will stick to pretty much anything. You just need to apply several layers.

I actually think about coating one of my bronze moorhammers in order to keep the thing as shiny as gold!

toksick, these shooters are amazing and you know it :)

14. zwillie

zwillie New Member

Hi,
    if you want to keep the shine of metal you should use zapon laquer.
    This gives also a nice shine on wood.
    It`s a kind of nitrocellulose lacquer which was used for music instruments.
    http://kremer-pigmente.de/79550.htm

Zwillie

15. tokSick

tokSick Senior Member

Sorry if i' ve made a big mistake. :eek: I swear it wont happen again.
    I beg all of the members to accept my deep and sincere excuses( especialy Be).

Thankz Ryan.

Making a slingshot with horizontal alum plates is one of the projects on my to-do-list.
    I already "tested" the left one(D.A.C) and it shoots great. I tried 2 layers of Kettler Latex Flexiband( purple), perfect for 12mm steel balls and food can destruction.

Ooops, i didn' t do the rope test.:eek:

I' ll put some varnish layers on those, i' ll still be able to sand them if it don' t stick to the almu.
    Coating the moorhammer is a great idea, it will protect it from scratches too.
    I know my slingshots are nice but amazing is, maybe, exagerated. I did some mistakes( small ones) that you can' t see in a picture. I prefer all those beautiful naturals that we can see here on the forum.
    Thank you Joerg.
    PS: Did you already made a BP for the rambone? I love that one.

Thanks guys.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2013
  16. tokSick

tokSick Senior Member

Never heard about that. Thankz Zwillie. :)

17. Slagskimmer Mike

Slagskimmer Mike thinks TBG smells better than roses

Beautiful work man.

Let us finishing noobs know what works best for you after you get them done.

18. MountainStorm

MountainStorm Termite

I've been in the marine repair and carpentry biz most of my adult life. Spar varnish will not do well on metals. It's not made for it. It will not adhere correctly. You can use an adhesion promoter like XIM but even so aluminum is not the easiest metal to paint because it forms a protective layer of oxide that will inhibit adhesion. Here's the problem. Aluminum should be treated with phosphoric acid and then painted with a special zinc chromate primer which is not clear at all...but a greenish color... to stop the oxidation and make for a stable surface to lay on more paint...clears for aluminum that work will always be catalyzed.

For instance the guys that like to polish their motorcycle wheels bare aluminum will then apply a catalyzed urethane to keep it looking bright and prevent tarnish.

On the bright side any finish like that will also work fine on wood.

19. flicks

flicks ...lost in the woods....

TOOOOOOKSIIIIIIIIICK!!! Man, you can't post such beauties with a question about the varnish. The right thread title would be: Look at my awesome slingshots and be jealous! (something like that). These are two really (I mean REALLY) cool shooters. Do you really want to cover these beauties with varnish? I would go for a BLO/BW treatment to keep a silky natural touch. I am not a fan of a glossy finish, but that is a matter of taste. However you will decide - these are outstanding slingshots!!!:cool:

20. tokSick

tokSick Senior Member

Thankz Mike, i' ll post the final product in the homemade section when done.
    But i can already tell that the yacht varnish don' t dry quicklty. It is a pain in the butt as when it dries it i like it attract dust. This is driving me nuts... ;)

Thank you, MounainStorm, for this very interesting input. I' ll try to remember it for next time and check on YT before.