Question About Pine

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by MarbleShooter, Jan 2, 2014.

1. MarbleShooter

MarbleShooter New Member

I know pine is a pretty soft wood, and I haven't seen anyone on this forum talk about using it basically at all, but I'd like to know if there is a reason for that. Is it just completely useless?
    The reason I ask is because I came across some nice sheets of 2" (1 1/2"/38mm true) thick pine that I was hoping were somewhat useful for slingshot construction. Should I forget it entirely, or is the thickness of it enough to consider?
    Thanks!

2. Hrawk

Hrawk Hedonistic Decedance

Soft wood is never a good choice and it doesn't get much softer than pine.

Ever see people breaking boards in martial arts demonstrations ? There's a good reason they all use pine, it just loves to split open along the grain without much effort.

3. 4foruglenncoco

4foruglenncoco Member

Very soft wood, I wouldn't want to take a risk of a fork coming back at my face.

4. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

I think that if you were to laminate pine to a more stable core (plywood, aluminum, etc) it would make for a nice shooter. I do really like the grain patterns in pine wood

5. kohlqez

kohlqez Accident-Prone

If you're determined to make a pine slingshot there are a few options
    First you can laminate it to something stronger like Will said (you might be able to laminate it to more pine if you cross the grain A LOT and I'd still test the neck out of it before banding it up and shooting)
    You might be able impregnate the wood with epoxy or fiberglass resin, I'm not certain about how that is done exactly so you might want to ask someone else
    You could also use pins to strengthen the wood
    All in all unless you're really committed to pine, it's probably best not to make it into a slingshot

6. MarbleShooter

MarbleShooter New Member

Interesting. I had seen that starship and never realized it was made from pine. What I'm probably going to end up doing is cutting out a shape, and practicing my rasp and file skills (as pine is very easy to carve), and if it ends up being strong enough with the stress test, then it's a win-win. If not, I've got a template for making something out of a harder wood.
    Thanks for the advice folks. I had a feeling splitting along the grain would be an issue.

7. beaverIII73

beaverIII73 Junior Member

If you don't make a SS out of the pine you can always use the pine for a palm swell of other parts of the a SS. Some pine can have a very nice grain pattern. And would be i nice accent.

8. rock slinger

rock slinger I rarely shoot rocks!