Question about dry shots

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by Brazilviking, Oct 29, 2013.

1. Brazilviking

Brazilviking Thread Hijacker

Hi mates!
    I've read the term "DRY SHOT" a little time ago, and it refers to a shot with and empty pouch. It had a recomendation of "do not do" written too.
    Every time I show a slingshot to new people, they aways have the unstoppable desire to pull the pouch and make that "backlash" sound in the air. I really dislike when they do it...feels like something may happen to the bands gradually......

What are the consequences of a "dry shot" and why is it not recomended?

2. dolomite

dolomite Banned

much like a bowstring, dry firing can screw up the bands. I hate when people try to do that.

3. kineticweaponry

kineticweaponry Senior Member

I don't seem to care too much when people do it with slingshots, because they do it once, get a handslap, and never do it again. But i am always careful when people handle my bow.

4. Slagskimmer Mike

Slagskimmer Mike thinks TBG smells better than roses

I wish everything had built-in instant pain lessons like that. Less stuff would be broken in this world!

I don't even draw someone's bow without an arrow now, after I slipped and dry fired a friend's compound bow.

Nothing was visibly damaged, but he had carbon uprights (if that's the term I want) and who knows what kind of micro cracks might have occurred.

At least cutting band life a bit short is measured in pennies...

5. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

I don't know, I have done that a few times when we filmed the Zombie Wars teaser and nothing happened. Maybe it is simply a myth. I think I need to test it one of these days.

Rubber is a fascinating material, really!

6. jakobkurt32

jakobkurt32 Member

Hi BV!!!

Im Almost a 100% sure that dry firing a slingshot is no problem!! Because the frame is not storing the power or flexing.
    It feels bad because all the energy is going into your hand or arm. Rubber is nowhere near solid enough for this shock to tear or do any kind of damage to it. (if I'm wrong please let me know! i would be very interested! :D )

Dry firing a bow is highly dangerous because as the wood is under alot of compression and tension (stores the power of the weapon),by releasing, the energy going straight through the already stressed wood instead of into an arrow can make it quite literally explode in front of your face! (the eyes tend to not enjoy flying splinters of wood in their direction! :cool: )

through this, people might think automatically, the idea of dry firing applies also to slingshots? I personally can't see how it would effect a SS.
    hope this helps!
    Jakob

Last edited: Oct 29, 2013
  7. JohnKrakatoa

JohnKrakatoa Loudest boom on Earth

My simple mind would agree with Jakob here. I doubt it does ahy damage to the ss or bands.

8. ruthiexxxx

ruthiexxxx ruthiexxxx

If shooting ammo that is too light shortens the life of the bands then surely dry firing would tend to do the same?

9. Arturo Borquez

Arturo Borquez Administrator

I think dry fire can shorten band life, the violent slap and shock in the hard (or edgy) surfaces of the frame may produce abrasions that later tears, anyway is a speculation, would be interesting to count dry fires against loaded fires band life ...
    Cheers
    Arturo

10. Obl1v1Aus

Obl1v1Aus Meh!

Bows and Slingshots are similar in that when fired the energy is transferred into the projectile, If there is no projectile the energy has to go somewhere.
    With a bow the energy comes from the flexing of the limbs so a dry fire will transfer energy back to the limbs and riser, and with those being rigid materials that energy causes them to vibrate which can cause micro fractures ( CAN, but doesn't always, different materials handle it better).

Rubber being a highly flexible material shouldn't suffer from these problems. As rubber generates heat when it's stretched and rapidly cools when brought back to its unstretched state, it might go through a rapid hot-cold-hot phase which is not good for rubber if it happens all the time, but one or two dry fires every now and then shouldn't really hurt the bands.

besides most dry fires will cause the bands to come back quite quickly and deposit their excess energy into you fingers!

11. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Sounds like a test in a controlled environment is in order! I understand the concerns with the bows, but I'm not sure about the slingshot. I do know one thing, when I've done it myself, I've had some stinging handslaps from the bands. Even if that were the only actual issue, it might keep me from doing it. I'm reminded of the dry fire debate among gun owners. Some people say never, ever do it, some say it's okay once in awhile, some say don't ever do it. For me, unless it's a rimfire like a .22, where the firing pin doesn't hit dead-center of the barrel, but actually on the edge of the chamber (where a dry fire can damage the firing pin), I don't mind doing it occasionally. In fact, one of my 9mm pistols requires you to pull the trigger in a dry-fire when disassembling the pistol. In the end, if you don't like it, don't do it, but my suspicion, perhaps to be played out in a test by someone here later, is that occasionally snapping the bands probably won't do much, if any, harm.

12. EnesK

EnesK Call me the boss

i really hate it when people do that and when they do that they also sometimes not pull the bands ott
    the bad thing is you just get a handslap

Enes

13. jakobkurt32

jakobkurt32 Member

hmmm, i agree that if you went out and had a dry firing session, the bands might ware out a but faster. but this is just my feeling... i haven't tested the subject.
    again, I'm not sure but i think the main reason for bands breaking at the pouch is due to the friction between the band and the bit of rubber or string that its all tied together with (judging from observing where the bands first rip).
    When the ss is shot, as the rubber comes back to its natural state (goes from skinny to fatter) it constantly is rubbing against the binding material (string or rubber). maybe because it rubs faster when one dry fires, it would cut through quicker???

hmm, id have to agree with Withak, controlled environment test! :)

14. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

Withak, its interesting what you said about live fire guns. I have never worried about dry firing them, as you say, some require it. I would never dry fire an air rifle though, it can cause terminal damage, especially on a spring powered gun as apposed to a PCP.

I wouldn't have thought it would cause too much damage to an OTT set up as the bands are tipping over the forks or am I thinking too simplistically?

Who wants to spend a day firing off a few hundred shots in the interests of science? :)

15. Brazilviking

Brazilviking Thread Hijacker

I REALLY hate whe people do that , specially without knowledge and permission. And as Enesk said, usually people don't understand the OTT concept and hold the frame from the oposite side....

I'm curious about that too, but I dont have enough time and TBG for that.....volunteers?

I think it damages the bands...

16. Tremoside

Tremoside SINdustrial designer

Yup, most beginners do the same in my practice too. :eek:

I have different answers to avoid this and I don't recommend dry shots.

1. If a band is heavily tapered and cut to short an empty shot is a luxury. If I can only shoot 50-80 times with a fast bandset I could be really sad for empty shots.

2. Hitting the frame with the pouch at full power and risking wear at wraps or constrictor knot is not a wise thing.

3. It's not a toy, you don't need to make a bad habit of empty/dry shooting.

4. You may get a handslap.

So I try to avoid it. When I give a slingshot to a newbie I used to show how to handle it before she/he can try it. Mainly in small steps, without actually drawing the slingshot. Standing, gripping frame, angle of the frame, position of shoulders, arms etc. Since I'm holding slingies in my right hand it's easy for me to show a mirrored movement to the person.

I'm also curious about a detailed experiment :)

T