Question about cherry

Discussion in 'New project ideas' started by Viks, Jan 31, 2014.

1. Viks

Viks Member

Hello, I want to build a slingshot from a natural fork. Is cherry good enough to do the job and how should i dry it but not in microwave

2. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

If the cherry is in good shape (no big cracks), it should be fine for a slingshot. I've built 2 forks using cherry and they've been great shooters. As for drying, if you don't use the microwave, there are a few other methods (I've not used) that you can find by using the search function on the forum.

Here is a link to a slingshot I made using cherry and fig:

https://www.theslingshotforum.com/slingshots/chocolate-and-vanilla-129.html

3. Slagskimmer Mike

Slagskimmer Mike thinks TBG smells better than roses

Welcome Viks!

Any fruit tree wood is a good bet for starters, just always test forks before risking your face to a bad break.

Cut them extra long, so the cracks stop before they get to the part you want. At least two times diameter extra length all three ends. Seal them with anything handy.

With AK is right--a search will be fruitfull;)

@E--auto correct gave you another new nickname so i left it lol

4. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Interesting one Mike. But unfortunately I sold my only AK, so I guess it doesn't fit at the moment. With AR may work in the not too distant future :)

5. dolomite

dolomite Banned

What about withM1A? That would be good?

6. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

sigh... maybe someday. My brother-in-law has one. I covet it regularly. And I don't think WithMosinNagant has the same ring.

7. dolomite

dolomite Banned

Without earpro, your ears would beg to differ. The Mosin is a great weapon, I have a 4.5lb Timney custom trigger on mine, it's like buttah!

8. WildBill

WildBill The Silly Song Guy

Cherry is a particularly hard wood and will do great for a slingshot. However, if you plan to shape it with power tools, make sure that your blades are very sharp, or else it will burn on you, making black 'char' marks where you tooled it.

-Wild Bill

9. studer1972

studer1972 scooter trash

Loudest thing I ever heard at the gun range was a russian rifle. Owie! Owie! Owie!

10. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

That's true, they are monsters, and have quite the admirable reputation.

I haven't done the Timney upgrade, I'll have to add that to the list. I do want to put a custom bent bolt on it. I've actually got 2 Mosin's - I've been waiting to put an Archangel stock on one of them to do something a little different than the standard. Just a bit more $$ than I want to spend at the moment.

11. dolomite

dolomite Banned

I got the ATI cheapseat stock and bedded it with JB weld, free floated the barrel all the way back to the chamber. It's a 91/30, my next mod will be to take off about 8in from the muzzle and do a target crown. The shortened barrel is thicker, reducing whip and increasing accuracy.