pvc/abs plastic tubing

Discussion in 'New project ideas' started by brennanfry, Jan 21, 2014.

1. brennanfry

brennanfry New Member

if it was flattened and s slingshot was cut from it would it be strong enough to shoot regularly

2. Ghosth

Ghosth Over the hill but still swinging!

PVC is easy to work with, can be shaped with heat (I recommend a heat gun, ie harbor freight under 20$)

I have several pvc shooters mostly rifle type, the following 2 pics are of my favorite. A slingshot "rifle"

http://www.332nd.org/dogs/Ghosth/pvctubeshooter1.jpg

http://www.332nd.org/dogs/Ghosth/pvctubeshooter2.jpg

A racheting type pvc cutter (Again harbor freight, under 10$) Or some basic tools from the garage (saw of some sort, + sharp knife, vise/clamps are handy) will easily build you a solid pvc shooter. Just take the time and think through the process. Have a good idea of what you want, and what you want it to do.

It can be as simple as a 1/2" pvc Tee, 2 90's, 2' of pipe and some primer/glue. Basic "goalpost" design.
    Or as complex as you can imagine.

If your interested in a bow, backyard bowyer on utube has hundreds of video's including tutorials on everything from flattening to making your string.

I would strongly suggest to you that this is a project that you should be working on "with" your father as a partnership if at all possible. As safety is a major issue, both during construction and when shooting.

3. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

I've seen a variety of slingshots made from PVC. It's strong stuff. Obviously the bigger the diameter the stronger it will be. I've got 2 slingshots made from 1/2" PVC (not flattened out) and they're plenty strong. If you search on YouTube for PVC slingshots you should find several examples.

4. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Nice starship Ghosth! I've got a partially finished starship myself.

5. studer1972

studer1972 scooter trash

Instructions by Backyard Armory fro YouTube:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlezmulTiXc[/ame]

6. Obl1v1Aus

Obl1v1Aus Meh!

good advice from everyone here, PVC is great stuff to work with when done right. as Ghosth said 'safety is a major issue, both during construction and when shooting.'

that said, ABS pipe is NOT safe for this it doesnt have the pressure tolerances that PVC does and is extremley brittle, minimal flex will cause it to snap and gives off some nasty fumes if over heated.

be smart, be safe!

7. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Here are some pics of my PVC 'W', a simple copy of Joerg's slingshot design using only 3/4" schedule 40 PVC. I have to say I'm surprised at how strong this slingshot is. Very easy to make and it shoots great.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 23, 2014
  8. Obl1v1Aus

Obl1v1Aus Meh!

Well I know what Im making this weekend, that looks awesome Withak!

9. brennanfry

brennanfry New Member

i men cut a slit down one side and flatten it into a sheet then cut it out

10. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Yes, you can do that too, just go for the bigger stuff so it's thick enough to be usable. Ideally for something like that, I'd be looking at some 4" diameter, it has a thicker wall. 1/2" or something around that size would probably be too flimsy.

Check out this post:

https://www.theslingshotforum.com/f5/starting-some-pvc-31336/

Last edited: Jan 22, 2014
  11. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Thanks Obl1v1Aus! It was an pretty easy build (obviously) and all I did was try to keep the forks as short as I could to lessen the stress at the glue joint on the 90's. My testing shows it's pretty strong - I don't know that I would band it up like Joerg's wood and metal version, but it will easily take a double TBG setup. Plus it's hollow, so I've toyed with drilling in a dispenser hole so I can store ammo inside :)

12. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

That is a very cool 'W'. Meccano style slingshot :)

13. studer1972

studer1972 scooter trash

If you want to make a slingshot out of a big, thick PVC pipe, you might not want to flatten in out. If you leave the vertical curve and band it so the forks curve away from you, the curve will give you additional strength and a little extra band length for the same anchor point. I have to admit, the flattened PVC looks pretty cool, though.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2014
  14. brennanfry

brennanfry New Member

ya i might glue a bunch of sheets together and then rasp out the slingshot

15. Flipgun

Flipgun Well-Known Member

Thanx for the reference Erik. I have since scored some blue pvc just as thick as the piece I sent you. Dangit! Where is the emote for maniacal/diabolical laughter?

16. Flipgun

I think that it is doable and have bought some 2 part PVC glue to laminate with.

17. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Did that one roll down the hill too? ;)

I tried to flatten that piece you sent me, I had it in the oven for over and hour and could never get it flattened. I'm still planning to revisit it again, but man, that stuff is tough!

18. Flipgun

I agree on the tough! So I thought that I would try another approach with the blue stuff. Instead of cutting down the length of the pipe, I cut across it. Then I boiled it. I placed a board on the floor, fished out the piece with some tongs, placed it curved side down, put another board on top of that and stood on it rocking some. When it cooled a lil I put it back in the water to cook some more and pressed it again with the curved side up. when it had set, it was still pretty warm, so I threw in the sink with cold water. Got this--
    [​IMG]
    I've already started working on a cut out on another piece.

19. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Okay, I may have to give that a try with my yellow PVC - I just could barely get it to change shape. Maybe boiling would be easier - good idea.

20. Ghosth

Ghosth Over the hill but still swinging!

Problem with water is that it boils at 212 degrees f, hard to get the temp much above 250.

You can use oil and get up closer to 400, although it is a bit more messy.