purple heart forks

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by kohlqez, Nov 19, 2013.

1. kohlqez

kohlqez Accident-Prone

At the moment I am too inexperienced to feel confident that I could make a fantastic sling out of purple heart wood. But it has been a goal of mine ever since I first found out about purple heart wood to make one into a slingshot, probably something similar to Joerg's moorhammer but with my own twist it'd probably be a bronze core sandwiched between two halves of purple heart. Anyway back to the point I was wondering if anyone knew where I could get a few purple heart forks for the future. If anyone happens to have some they'd sell to me or would like to exchange it for some exotic wood I have access to in south Florida, or has some idea of where I can find some I would really appreciate it. :D

Like I said I'm too inexperienced right now, just started working with natural forks yesterday (HUGE THANK YOU TO BUSHMASTER FOR SENDING ME SOME FORKS! Expect some pics of my first natural by the end of the week) so it may be some time before I can actually work with purple heart, but I'd be interested to know if anyone has some leads as to where I can get some.
    Thanks,
    Kohlqez

2. Lacumo

Lacumo Member

Purpleheart comes from Central and South America, so you’re going to have very limited possible sources for actual purpleheart forks. Good luck with your hunt

3. 4foruglenncoco

4foruglenncoco Member

I have Purple Heart boards

4. kohlqez

kohlqez Accident-Prone

Where did the boards come from?

5. Tilia

Tilia Junior Member

you are never too un-experienced to start learning, just start with natural forks that ar not so special and you learn quick enough to cut a nice piece of wood

6. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

If you do a Google search for Purple Heart wood, you'll probably find some places that sell it, maybe not in your immediate area, but they are out there. I know some folks on this site have used Cook Woods out of southern Oregon. What they have seems to vary from day to day, but they do have Purple Heart boards, and, if you're lucky, they sometimes have misc. cuts of Purple Heart in the clearance area for a decent price. They also carry other exotics like Cocobolo. They ship throughout the US - but I would think you could find someone in Florida that carries these woods. You can check Cook out here:

https://www.cookwoods.com/

By the way, from what I've read of purpleheart trees, they tend to be really tall and pretty much all trunk, just some branches near the top, which probably makes getting an actual fork, perhaps a bit rare.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2013
  7. Antraxx

Antraxx #7

Yes, this.

Plus the fact, that only the Heartwood is purple.
    The small Sapwood layer is pretty much standard, as you can see here:
    http://www.woodworkerssource.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/SawMill20-PURPLEHEART-LOGS.jpg
    Which means a fork that one could handle would look like any other fork...not red at all.

8. 4foruglenncoco

4foruglenncoco Member

Rockler woodworking and hardware

9. Flipgun

Flipgun Well-Known Member

Bro? Everyone starts somewhere.