Punkin' Chunkin' - the ultimate Slingshot

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by sickofsickness, Nov 6, 2013.

1. sickofsickness

sickofsickness New Member

Every year in Delaware, there is an event called Punkin' Chunkin' (Pumpkin Chucking). People come from all over the world for a weekend event where they hurl 8-10 lb pumpkins as far as they can on a field using various homemade contraptions. They have trebuchets, air cannons, slingshots, torsion machines, etc. The Science Channel usually airs a special on that years events on Thanksgiving.

While this location is considered to be the main event, they have similar competitions all over the country, and even one in Belgium!

These machines are far bigger than anything we've seen Jorg build, but I have no doubts that he could crush the competition. I sent him a PM on YT just saying hello and hoped to pique his interest, but as I expected anyway, he didn't respond. It's ok :)

But I just thought I'd share here because...where else can I just braindump this idea?

Youtube is in no short supply of links from these events, but I enjoy imagining him competing and building something awesome.

2. noah013

noah013 Member

That sounds like a great event!

3. JohnKrakatoa

JohnKrakatoa Loudest boom on Earth

Jörg should do another crowd funding so we can put our team under his lead into the competish and smash it

4. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

I am aware of that competition, these guys built some awesome machines. Hard to top. I am not sure if I want to compete, maybe I will some day, but not soon. Too many other challenges that I find more interesting!

5. tokSick

tokSick Senior Member

Where is that comp taking place here in Belgium?

6. Achso_42

Achso_42 Senior Member

I think we should build up a team:D

7. EyAlter

EyAlter New Member

How about a 20m long tree with a simple fork at the end and 5m of Theraband Gold?

8. OmegaWarrior42

OmegaWarrior42 New Member

As a Delawarean myself, I can tell you a few things:

1. Launchers in Punkin' Chunkin' have been known to propel Halloween's favorite type of gourds upwards of a mile or more, and competition can be quite fierce indeed in this regard.

2. If Jorg DID compete in one of these events, I would go in a heartbeat. :D

3. For some reason, I'm thinking massive-scale Slingception...

9. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

If distance is the only thing that counts, trebuchets can't be topped. It is what they are designed for.

Now if there is a target to be hit, one that isn't always at the same spot, that'd be a different issue. Trebuchets don't shoot, they lob.

Of course I am talking about the muscle operated class, otherwise barreled shooters (compressed air) rule.

10. buckshot500

buckshot500 Hoonigan Jeeper

More recently they have been perfecting a sort of rotating arm launcher, that looks promising.

It's nowhere near the air cannons though.

I have been a fan of the Punkin Chunkin contest since I saw the second event on TV in Philly.

I especially like what they call it when the launcher overpowers the melon's ability to remain intact.

PIE :)

11. bigdh2000

bigdh2000 Administrator

Always love watching the TV special when it comes on. So far the air cannons seem to win.

12. coyote-1

coyote-1 Member

The air cannons don't excite me. They are cool, but nowhere near as awesome at the trebuchets.

13. bigdh2000

bigdh2000 Administrator

True. I prefer the catapults. I think some of us should get together and make one using Therabands.