Pumpgun for 53 gram steel cube ammo

Discussion in 'New project ideas' started by Slagskimmer Mike, Jun 30, 2013.

1. Slagskimmer Mike

Slagskimmer Mike thinks TBG smells better than roses

I got addicted to firing heavy cubes at (and through) sheetmetal.

A few close calls convinced me to take a break, but I miss the destruction terribly:mad:

My thoughts go like this (only more right-side-up like:eek:) : 20130630_202521.jpg

Based on the M10 hexnut gun, the magazine and barrel are opened up for the .750 inch ammo.

The center layer will be made of .750 plywood except under the barrel (in yellow). The cubes will ride on a strip of UHMW plastic that is impregnated with Teflon. Think cuttingboardspeedzilla.
    I learned about this material at work and want to test its durability. Its as slick as deer guts on a glass doorknob, but the test will be if it holds up well enough.

Also in the picture is a test replacement for paracord made from very thin wall stainless steel tubing. The OD is about .188inch and is pretty light. Its bent in a loop and fixed with electrical shrink-insulation .

I plan on beefing up the slide to .750 thick, plus adding a chest plate and handles for both hands. I want this gun to fire through several layers of thin steel with a decent fire rate.

I would love any input from you guys as this will be only my second launcher after building the M10 hexnut gun.

2. Wanimator

Wanimator Banned

The new big thing is Cube Ammo?

3. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

There is only one way to put this...its badass!!
    I would exchange the stainless tubing for coated stainless fishing leader though. It is nigh on unbreakable and so much faster than tubing. Its well-worth paying a trip to the tackle store and taking a look around. Great job thus far, and keep us posted!

4. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

Btw, 'deer guts on a glass door knob' had me laughing my ass off! Especially since I was grilling some venison while reading this post!

5. FIAAO

FIAAO Failureisalwaysanoption

I'm looking forward to see this :D

6. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

You know, the friction of the barrel isn't a big factor. It simply deducts a bit of the band draw force. But a straight, tight fitting barrel is the key to accuracy.

Shooting those big babies will take a lot of rubber (and strength), but if you get it right then it will be pure devastation.

Keep us updated!

7. Wanimator

Wanimator Banned

It's very interesting. Though I have to find my tube bands if I'm going to really make a slingshot rather to just making a non operational one.

8. Slagskimmer Mike

Slagskimmer Mike thinks TBG smells better than roses

When you design a gun, how much gap do you allow for between barrel opening and ammo size? My fear is to design it too tight.

9. onnod

onnod Im from Holland, isnt that weird?

i'm looking forward to this one!! and to some sweet destruction vids!!

10. Schultz

Schultz New Member

I have not much experience with Slingriffles, but it looks like a really nice Project!
    I am looking forward to the Result and I'll keep our Fingers crossed :D

11. dannytsg

dannytsg Senior Member

Really looking forward to seeing the destruction this thing can do!