Pump-Action 5mm Slingshot Pistol?

Discussion in 'New project ideas' started by FIAAO, Jun 22, 2013.

1. FIAAO

FIAAO Failureisalwaysanoption

I made a little sketch:

[​IMG][/url][/IMG]

With exchangeable, spring fed magazines. What distances do you think I can reach with 5 mm ball bearings and 10 cm of acceleration? Is it worth doing?

Edit: I added it as an "attachment". Can you see it now Will? :)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 23, 2013
  2. I think it will go!

Wich kind of Theraband you want to use?

Distance to shoot i see about 10 to 15 meters! When the bands are strong!

Joe

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 22, 2013

3. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

I think this is a really good idea! 5mm bearings are pretty common and cheap, but they're fairly small to fire from a regular slingshot (I can hardly feel them through the pouch with my big sausage fingers). I think this will be hours of fun! If you decide to make it, keep us posted, this is something I really want to build too!

4. FIAAO

Thanks for the support, guys! :)

I would like to use TheraBand Gold for it... but I don't have any. I'll stick to my usual Asaklitt exercise bands.

Yeah, I chose that size of ammo so I can buy a lot of them for a low price.

I think I will have to modify the design a bit... First I added the second trigger (that is used to chamber a new "round") mainly because it looks really cool, but... Effectiveness over extreme coolness? Or maybe the other way around, haha. I am not really sure, I have to think about this a bit :)

But your support really makes me want to go on with this! Thanks guys :D

5. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to view the sketch. I believe there may be a problem with the link.

6. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

My experiences with small caliber BB shooters are disappointing.

You can't use string to propel them. The string will easily jump the thin ball. So you have to use something solid instead, like a dowel. This uses up precious energy, plus you have to stop it at the end of the accel phase. Not easy.

The smaller the weapon, the more accurate your cuts will have to be. A large weapon, like my ashtray shooter, can afford huge tolerances. Small BB shooters are difficult to make, even if the design is clever.

I don't want to discourage you - but many problems will need to be taken care of. Don't be disappointed.

7. FIAAO

Don't worry, I'm used to failures. Just take a look at my User Name :D

In the sketch there is a piece that will (hopefully) accelerate the ball properly. It sits in its cocked position in contact with the trigger the trigger. I'm thinking of drilling a hole in it and attaching strings trough the hole. That way the wooden "sled" that pushes the ball will only be in the barrel and stop when the string hits the sled.

8. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

Thanks for fixing the drawing, love the design, looks great! I know you're going to be able to make this work!
    I've got some thin plywood in my shop, I think I'll play around with a few designs too, I'd like to find a good use for all the small ammo I have here

9. Antraxx

Antraxx #7

Maybe use the Rubber indirectly?
    To empty a cylinder...and just launch the bb from a tubing...like a rubber-powered airsoft gun?
    I don´t know if the rubber will push the piston fast enough tho :(

10. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

If you use strong bands (which is a must at this accel length), then the wooden sled will pull the string into the slot, jamming the sled, and eventually fray/cut the string.

Why not shooting something bigger, or edgier? The 5 mm balls will be so light that they won't cause any serious damage at all.

11. Slagskimmer Mike

Slagskimmer Mike thinks TBG smells better than roses

You could get more length by styling it after an automatic with a silencer screwed on the muzzle. It would look all 60s spy movie cool.

Make the muzzle end telescopic so it will collapse to fit in a regular holster, but lock outward with the first pump.

Just some brainstorming--cool project idea.

12. FIAAO

Will: Thanks :)

Antraxx: I actually got the plunger part from a cheap-o airsoft-gun lying around... (It broke for my friend so he gave it to me). The problem would be to make it repeating... But one thing at a time! I think it would not be too hard to build a little airsoft-slingshot muzzleloading pistol. One day...

Joerg: Hm, I think you are right. Okay, I changed my mind:

As this would be my first repeating device I have now decided to lower the notch a bit (No, I do not abandon this project. I will come back to it later :) ).

S Mike: Thanks for the cool ideas! :) I will definetly think about them when I come back to this project!

13. FIAAO

Okay, so this is the new plan:

One of my favorite YouTube-channels, William Jakespeare (A guy that makes DIY:s for movie-props and some other stuff) made a video (This [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjngUix7QiQ"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjngUix7QiQ[/ame] one to be precise) on how to make a prop/ replica of something known as the "Team Fortress 2 Scatter Gun". I tought it looked pretty good! I knew from before that TF2 is a game, altough I never had the chance to test it myself (I do not play a lot of video games), but I checked the games wiki for other cool weapon-designs. I found this gun, called the "Widowmaker":

[​IMG][/url][/IMG]

Then I "converted" it into some repeating slingbow blueprints:

[​IMG][/url][/IMG]

[​IMG][/url][/IMG]

[​IMG][/url][/IMG]

I want it to look really cool, so I will put a lot of work into it, and probably paint it. You load it by putting it down on the ground with your foot on the stirrup. Pull the rubber back with both arms. Then manually chamber a hex nut, and shoot. The weapon will also feature:

• A foldable and detachable stock
    • A sight of some sort, maybe red dot? Iron sights?

How do you like it? :)

Last edited: Jun 26, 2013
  14. FIAAO

Not that anyone cares, but...

Here is the progress :)

Attached Files:

15. Great slingshotrifle!

Great Work!

Which ammun do you take on this rifle?

Joe

16. FIAAO

Thanks Joe!

Now I just have to make it look good...

17. Maulwurfsurfer

Maulwurfsurfer Junior Member

this looks great so far... can't wait to see the finished product!

keep it up

18. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

Nice!! That looks like it means business! I am looking forward to enhancements and reports on how it shoots soon! Great job

19. Schultz

Schultz New Member

Good luck for your cool Projekt ;)
    Unfortunately I have not much experience with balls :/

20. onnod

onnod Im from Holland, isnt that weird?

looks good so far!