Projects of a mad Scientist (Slingshots!)

Discussion in 'Show off your homemades!' started by Hardtimes, Aug 3, 2013.

1. Hardtimes

Hardtimes Member

Hello,

First a real introduction, I am an enthusiast living on the east coast of the USA (a chemist by profession). I love how elegant Slingshots are and I find that they truly give game a sporting chance in hunting. I am incredibly interested in Sling bow design and am working on one a long with many other projects.

Current Projects:

Epoxy Molding Slingshots:

Below are some pictures of my design process. I found some great air curing clay at a craft store and am shaping my slingshot by hand. From it I will create a mold that will make my slingshot.

I have a bunch of pictures of the process in the dropbox gallery below.

DROPBOX GALLERY TIMELINE!

The forks I just put on, once they dry I will carve them to the shape I am looking for. Then the molding!

Current look: (See gallery for timeline shots)

[​IMG]

Just added a comfort grip today. Will let it dry and do some carving tomorrow. Also updated the bottom part of the grip, for attachment of a lanyard without a hole.

Project #2 (Slingshot belt buckle and survival tool)

This is an item I am actually far a long with and am very excited about. It measures 4 1/4" long folded and Nearly 5" open. My design is one of simplicity and made of carbon steel for strength. I want to get the prototype built before I reveal it but I cant wait to share it!

Project #3 (Slingbow)

Slingshot with arrow rest attachment that falls away before the fetching hits it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Future Projects:

Project 3: Designing a pouch that attributes a spin like a bullet onto the projectile launched from a normal slingshot.

Project 4: Ammo design, I want to make a airfoil like projectile that can fly incredibly straight and for a good distance. The other half is for this ammo to be capable of being threaded on para-cord for a slingshot survival belt.

Project 5: Burl Slingshot ( Once I have the skill I want to make a slingshot out of burl, burl I've found on my own. Excited about the hunt!

Project 6: Make a drastic improvement on the Stickshot concept. I think I already have this worked out I simply need to carve it out of clay.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2013
  2. studer1972

studer1972 scooter trash

Love the idea of a molded epoxy fork. Looking forward to see your results. Been intrigued about burl (briar burl like fine smoking pipes, right?) as a slingshot material myself. I only wonder about the large grain on briar burls holding up against the pull and flexing of the bands.

3. MaddyMax

MaddyMax New Member

+1

4. Hardtimes

Hardtimes Member

The most difficult part will be finding a piece large enough to cut into. They are normally small growths.

Also, has anyone tried making a slingshot out of honeysuckle vine? I cut a huge one down a few years ago and wow..probably the densest wood I've seen. It weighs a ton and was very very hard to shape into the practice sword I made. I bet it would make one hell of a fork.

5. Hardtimes

Hardtimes Member

I think I am now very close to finished with the Molding shape, Take a look at the gallery but here is one good shot of it.

I encountered a problem with some of the pieces being a bit fragile so I am going to take Elmers glue (water soluble) and dilute it with water, then paint it one to strengthen the surface.

then it should be read for the Molding!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cheers,

6. xXdoomXx

xXdoomXx Junior threadjacker ag. J

Can't waits ........ Still can't waits ......... Hrmpf

7. FIAAO

FIAAO Failureisalwaysanoption

First: Welcome! It sounds like some very interesting projects you are up to.

And nice progress! I like the design very much, it looks really cool with the finger grooves :D

8. dannytsg

dannytsg Senior Member

Nice work, thanks for sharing

9. Odins_Zornn

Odins_Zornn Noob

That is incredible and elegant.

I would love to see it made with that milk and vinegar material that looks like ivory. It is incredibly impact resistant, so much so that it was used as early billiard balls. It wouldn't be too hard to reuse the mold, right?

10. Odins_Zornn

Odins_Zornn Noob

A very interesting thought on honeysuckle wood. As i recall it is very vine like when alive, but those were small branches, practically twigs. I am in need of an easily carvable but strong wood and honeysuckle is readily available to me, as I am also East coast USA.

11. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

Wow!! You have done some fine work here!! Can't wait to see how this turns out!

@studer
    Hope to not sound like a know-all, but burl can refer to any cross cut section of knotted wood, not necessarily briar. I've been in negotiations for a 5'x3'x3" slab of redwood burl for the last ten years:D

12. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

May be a good idea to look through any nearby fruit orchards after they prune them in Jan-Feb. May be able to harvest some great forks that way. Peach wood in particular is brutally tough!

13. Odins_Zornn

Odins_Zornn Noob

An excelent idea for finding forks! Do you think they would have those near me in northern VA? Also, at the moment i am looking for 3"by 15" branch sections for my sword model, not forks.

A random question Will: Why is your picture sideways?

14. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

I do believe that peaches grow pretty well throughout the US, especially the lower half. If not peach, apricot, apple, lemon and orange are all good woods. I believe Virginia had some prime fruit orchards at one point, may be worth doing some scouting about to see what is nearby.
    As far as a straight piece for a sword model, I would recommend building that from quality plywood. Much, much easier to work with than natural branches!!
    Oh, my picture is sideways because I died a few months ago and I am posting from the 'other side.:D'
    Actually, its because I am a bloody idiot when it comes to forum stuff, and couldn't figure out how to rotate the damn thing!

15. Odins_Zornn

Odins_Zornn Noob

Lol in your after life, if you use a PC, you should be able to edit the orientation by opening the picture and using the tools provided by the window that pops up.

Plywood it is then.

16. Odins_Zornn

Odins_Zornn Noob

Perhaps Jörg would like a fiew peach forks. We could go to our different local orchards and ask around. It would be funny if we ran into each other there.

17. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

^ah!! Thank you very much!!

This is what I get for using my phone! Now I can reorient my picture!! :D
    ...not that an ugly, beaten up mug like mine looks better upright! :D

18. Odins_Zornn

Odins_Zornn Noob

The whole "rugged indtelectual" look is better when vertical...

19. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

Look! I've risen from the dead!! :D

20. Odins_Zornn

Odins_Zornn Noob

Haza! The gods have blessed us with your new life!
    *que Highlander theme*

[ame]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Sa62jiVSLVM[/ame]

Last edited: Aug 9, 2013