Project "Pimp my cheapo crossbow"

Discussion in 'New project ideas' started by JoergS, Nov 27, 2013.

1. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

I decided to widen my channel to other muscle operated weapons. But they must be either entirely home made, or at least inexpensive and upgraded at home so they are really bad ass afterwards.

After watching the boys over at Zombie go Boom testing Daryl Dyxon's Bowtech Stryker 380, I realized that modern top of the line crossbows are overengineered, overpowered and way too slow to reload to be serious weapons of self defense.

So I decided to buy the cheapest halfway serious crossbow on the market.

[​IMG]

http://www.bogensportwelt.de/SET-PYTHON-I-150lbs-in-5-Varianten

89 Euros, 2 bolts included! Fiberglass recurve prod, cast iron skeleton shaft, iron sights, 150 lb. Perfect.

I expected a piece of crap, but I was really happy with the power and accuracy when the thing arrived! Nice quality, too, for the price. But here is what happened after some sighting in...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A perfect Robin Hood hit! From 7 meters. Why such a short distance? Because this will be a Zombie killer, not a deer hunter. I need to hit a brain, reliably. 10 meters is the max distance you can expect. Any longer distance is a waste of bolts.

The power is sufficient to penetrate a coconut, but the bolt stays intact - just what I want. I can cock this back with the stock pressed against my chest. With some more padding and gloves, this will be even comfortable.

I plan to add a five shot magazine and convert this to unfletched, front heavy bolts - that is the type of weapon I want. Reloading time should be well under 10 seconds.

2. 4foruglenncoco

4foruglenncoco Member

Really cool can't wait to see it pimped out I would try to find a way to make it automatic

3. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

Automatic at 150 lb? No way.

4. 4foruglenncoco

4foruglenncoco Member

Never impossible ;)

Maybe the new project of the year ;)

5. 4foruglenncoco

4foruglenncoco Member

Possibly a chainsaw motor with gears

6. kohlqez

kohlqez Accident-Prone

Nice shooting! I have the same one only with faux wooden detailing, and mine came with a crappy, unusable "scope" if you can call it that. Maybe you could make a video about making a homemade scope?

7. beaverIII73

beaverIII73 Junior Member

Very nice, I cant wait to see how it turns out.

8. langy

langy Junior Member

will definatly be keeping my eye on this thread, looking forward to seeing what you do with it :)

9. AngelicScars

AngelicScars MILF of the board

Nice! Can't wait to see what you come up with!

10. coyote-1

coyote-1 Member

As I own exactly that crossbow, I will be watching this thread very closely.

BTW I hunted back in my teens; took two deer using a 55lb wood recurve bow. Neither shot was longer than 15 yards. Maybe with one of the fancy new 400fps crossbows you can shoot out to 30 yards, but I would not consider releasing further than that. Leave the 170 yard deer kills to the drunken guys wandering the woods with AR15s lol

11. Tilia

Tilia Junior Member

cheap crossbows are the best:D
    but for zombie not so good, only one shot...

so.... maybe ad a axe head to it or a big blade, so you can shoot the first and then start hitting them with the blade or axe head

12. ErstMalEinBaum

ErstMalEinBaum Demon Hunter

I have a similar one as posted in the zombie survival section. Mine has 175 pounds but is otherwise quite the same, apart from mine having a solid stock.
    In what direction are you planning to mod yours? I am working on an on-board survival kit I can comfortably fit on there right now

13. WildBill

WildBill The Silly Song Guy

In the USA, pimping something involves adding hydraulics, gold plating and of course fuzzy dice. Do you plan on making such modifications? If so, you may want to also include 26" rims as well.

-Wild Bill

14. Froshmasta

Froshmasta New Member

And don't forget $15,000, and 700lbs worth of stereo system to use up any possible storage and cargo space!

15. Froshmasta

Froshmasta New Member

I'm interested in the expandability and durability of the cheapy crossbow once modifications start. I have a longing for a crossbow to play with but I'm also super cheap so this should be fun to watch!

I was just wondering the other day what would happen if someone took the string off a crossbow and used some high-test slingshot rubber instead. I suspect it wouldn't be worth the effort to try doubling up on power sources like that but the thought crossed my mind.

16. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

I think all commerciall crossbows need a fast reload most of all. To me, that is their number one disadvantage. It just takes to long to fire the next round.

They are powerful. They are accurate. They are silent. They are cheap. Ammo can be reused.

BUT. You have one shot. And then it takes you at least 30 seconds to get the darn thing ready to fire again.

That is the draw back I want to tackle.

The commercial manufacturers tried to improve what did not need improvement. Modern crossbows have too much power. The arrows will go clean through pretty much any archery target money can buy, and then some. If you hit a tree, you have to saw off the shaft and leave the rest embedded for ever, it is hopeless to get it out.

Maybe you CAN now hit and kill a deer at 70 yards with a crossbow. I am sure there are hunters who have a need for that. I am not one of them.

I want to be able to fire as many bolts as I can within a limited period of time, and I am happy if I can hit a brain sized target within 10 meters reliably, free standing.

Of course semi auto would be best, but that is playstation stuff and won't happen. 10 secs per shot is realistic. That is three times faster than Bowtech. Let's see if The Slingshot Channel can do that.

17. coconut42117

coconut42117 Junior Member

I just got a crossbow of my own, much like this one, and haven't quite touched it yet! After seeing this I'm excited to go shoot and possibly make some modifications of my own. Thanks for the inspiration!

18. coyote-1

coyote-1 Member

I'd been thinking about.... adding more power! lol
    Much like a leaf spring in a car, bows and crossbows can have layered limbs. So I was imagining adding some spring steel behind the fiberglass. True it might rattle a bit and would certainly reduce limb life, but it just might generate some more speed.

19. 4foruglenncoco

4foruglenncoco Member

[ame]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pH7c_MpNq9M[/ame]

Try making reload mechanism like this

20. poacher_dave

poacher_dave New Member

how about a bayonet on the business end and zombie hammer style ball on the stock for close quarter work and when the bolts run out...