problem with the ball in knot attachment

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by ABH1, Nov 9, 2013.

1. ABH1

ABH1 Member

Hi, the problem I have with this pouch attachment is that tubular rubber ends up dying in the ball part always, is there a way of improving this attachment to make bandset last more? Thanks

Last edited: Nov 9, 2013
  2. Ghosth

Ghosth Over the hill but still swinging!

So "Ball in rubber" I assume your talking tubes?

Rubber will always give at the stress point over time. I suspect the ball causes the stress point to be localized into a single point.

Here is what I'm doing.
    Not that I'm any kind of an expert but it seems to be working fine.
    [​IMG]

The green string is an olefin fiber in a braided type weave. It is when slack about the same diameter of the tube.

I put a half hitch through the patch hole, which is a very solid connect, minimal knot. Then I tie a simple overhand knot 1/2 inch to 1" up from that. Cut off excess with scissors leaving 3/8's of an inch or so, and melt that into a kind of cone for easy insertion. I have a piece of stainless wire set in a wooden handle that I use to insert it into the tube, and tie a constrictor knot behind the overhand knot so it can't pull out.

Simple, seems to be effective, I've run at least 500 rounds though that setup in the last week with no obvious points of wear or breakage. Those tubes are aprox 13.5 inches long overall, with about 11" of useable rubber. I'm drawing them to 31.5 inches (its a slingshot rifle, I rest the heel of my hand on a projection at the rear, so I know exactly how long my draw is)
    I actually adjusted the length of that shooter after I installed the tubes. In effect choosing my draw weight and how much I was stretching the rubber.

I could be wrong but I suspect that longer tubes will last a bit longer than short ones. How much you draw them does effect lifespan. But like everything else it is a balance between wear and draw/aim point. Hopefully one of the old pro's will chime in here and set you on the right path.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2013

3. tokSick

tokSick Senior Member

I wonder if inserting the ends of a dog-bone pouch directly into the tube, tighten with a constrictor knot would work?!
    [​IMG]

4. ABH1

ABH1 Member

5. ABH1

ABH1 Member

I use that attachment, it may last but it always kills it...

6. Obl1v1Aus

Obl1v1Aus Meh!

I use a similar setup to Ghosth on my tube shooter but instead of olefin fibre cordage I use 'hoochie cord' ( Australian Army's Paracord alternative), I dont get quite the lifespan that he does but I get 300 shots at least to a bandset.

If it breaks that easily its time to start looking at each piece individually, what bands and cordage are you using? Is the cordage abrasive, are there weak spots in the rubber and so on.

7. Ghosth

Obl1v1Aus if I had para cord I'd use it. :)

Its all about finding what you have about and making it work IMO.

8. Ghosth

Toksick I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work.
    It will take more leather of course.

Take your illustration, make the circled part twice as long, fold it over so it is doubled, then roll it tight and insert into tube, and tie.

One of the things I like about tube is that it is easier to keep the twist out of things.

9. Obl1v1Aus

Obl1v1Aus Meh!

Totally agree, I'd use proper paracord if I could get it at a fair price, the hoochie cord is a nylon braid so it has no core like paracord. Its not abrasive and when using it on a slingbow it nocks arrows perefctly

Plus I scored 500 metres for $50

10. Ghosth

My wife is a power shopper, who does her best work at second hand stores. The olofin was a steal, plain and simple. She brought home a bag with 9 spools of hemp string, and 3 spools of the olofin for a dollar. 3 different colors, slightly different sizes. If it isn't going into slingshots it is being used to make new toys for my Cockatiel, or similar wacky projects.

And TokSick your idea for a leather pouch inserted directly into the tube seems to be working great on one I'm testing. However it is just a little fussy about getting the tubes mounted just right, has a little tendancy to "roll" the pouch closed. But it is solid, easy to do and shoots straight.

In some respects I prefer the cord as it gives a bit of swivel if needed.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2013