Preferred types of leather for pouches?

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by WPurcell, Aug 22, 2013.

1. WPurcell

WPurcell New Member

What species, finish, thickness, etc. of leather makes the best pouches?

2. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Good question, I'll be curious to here the responses you get. I just heard someone suggest recently that you can cut up old leather belts if they're not too thick.

3. Moin moin

The leather on the rankommst you easy!
    Also comes on the depends on what you want to hurl?
    And if it comes to halbahrkeit, accuracy, or speed!

Good has reinforced to me of old leather sofas! They are tear-resistant, and have been stretched over the years, so that now they are dimensionally stable.

Shoe insoles are also good - there are sometimes low in discountrer. The necessary glued together (I also do so with my sniper to the Loop - drawstring - incorporate)

Otherwise kangaroo - you get the easiest of work gloves (to matter Never - no split leather) building shop

Das Leder, an das du einfach rankommst!
    Kommt auch auf das drauf an, was du schleudern möchtest!?
    Und ob es um halbahrkeit, genauigkeit, oder speed geht!

Gut bewehrt hat sich bei mir Leder von alten Sofas! Sie sind reisfest, und wurden über die Jahre schon gedehnt, so das sie jetzt Formstabil sind.

Auch gut sind Schuheinlegesohlen - gibt es manchmal günstig im discountrer. Die notfalls aufeinandergeklebt (mache ich auch so bei meiner Sniper, um den Loop - Zugfaden - einzuarbeiten)

Ansonsten Kängeruh - bekommt man am leichtesten von Arbeitshandschuhen (Auf Material Achten - kein Spaltleder) Baumarkt

4. dolomite

dolomite Banned

goat and cow are good, belt leather can be a bit heavy. Couch leather is nice if you find an old beater. strong yet supple is best.

5. flicks

flicks ...lost in the woods....

Thin kangaroo leather is my first choice. Light, soft, durable and it has a nice grip.
    @Thorsten - thanks for the hint with the working gloves. Never heard that they are made from kangaroo leather :)

6. kineticweaponry

kineticweaponry Senior Member

I love to use pigskin leather for my pea shooters, its like 1mm thick and really soft, its perfect!
    For my regular 1 layer of tbg i use kangaroo leather, also very thin but quite strong.
    and for my powerful ones i use a thick cow hide that i got from an old blacksmithing apron.

7. MaddyMax

MaddyMax New Member

kangaroo is the best leather.

couch leather is not always a good source, you'll have to try if it rips easily or if it is strong enough. the tongues of shoes are often very thin but sturdy. also leather from old (motorcycle) leather jackets. some belts are made of two layers that you have to take apart. too thick leather gives you big hand slaps and you loose a lot of power for the ammo.

cut the pouch in the direction the leather does not stretch. that's the job of the bands/tubes, not of the pouch.

8. Moin moin,

Glove Leather is also made ​​of kangaroo ..... eighth on the label ..
    -
    With leather couch .... here you have to see what you get stop too! I scrap, but also good pieces. Advantage, they were already stretched ....

Handschuhleder gibt es auch aus Känguru..... achte auf das Etikett..
    -
    Mit Couch Leder .... man muss hier halt auch sehen, was man bekommt! Ich habe Schrott, aber auch gute Stücke. Vorteil, sie wurden schon gedehnt....

9. Moin moin,

Glove Leather is also made ​​of kangaroo ..... eighth on the label ..
    -
    With leather couch .... here you have to see what you get stop too! I scrap, but also good pieces. Advantage, they were already stretched ....

Handschuhleder gibt es auch aus Känguru..... achte auf das Etikett..
    -
    Mit Couch Leder .... man muss hier halt auch sehen, was man bekommt! Ich habe Schrott, aber auch gute Stücke. Vorteil, sie wurden schon gedehnt....

10. tokSick

tokSick Senior Member

I use all kind of sources for pouches, handbags, belts, couches, shoes, jackets, etc... if it is not too thick. As i use the dogbone pouch method now, i can use other kinds of materials instead of leather. I' ll, soon, exeriment pouches made out of bicycle inner tubes to reduce the weight and give an extra kick at the release.

11. Brazilviking

Brazilviking Thread Hijacker

Dogbone?:confused::confused::confused:

12. tokSick

tokSick Senior Member